VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sky the ever impartial broadcaster with the biggest tv package rights has told us why the Liverpool goal stood and why the Wolves one didn't so we should all just move on.

Its not like they have any skin in the game so.....

Gaslighting fuckers
When they don't call out OBVIOUS corruption it makes the broadcasters 100% complicit in game manipulation.

One can only surmise they are being controlled by the dangling carrot of the rights to broadcast games.

How about my 2 recent hammers examples ?

Cresswell got a ball smashed in his face and the ref awarded a penalty - until VAR over turned

Bowen got taken out in the box and the ref pointed for a goal kick - until VAR over turned and we got the penalty

There’s been loads and loads of these nailed on decisions where the officials got it completely wrong and VAR have been there to correct it - how can you say VAR does nothing and they just agree with the officials when that’s not been the case ?
From my experience, I didn’t see the incidents you mentioned, they just back up the officials.

When they don't call out OBVIOUS corruption it makes the broadcasters 100% complicit in game manipulation.

One can only surmise they are being controlled by the dangling carrot of the rights to broadcast games.

Sky the broadcaster and Sky the bookmakers complicit you say?

Well I never....

This is what our friend Dale Johnson said:

"It's a controversial decision, and goes right to the heart of what is a "deliberate play" by a defender. There is no doubt Salah is in an offside position, but if the officials judge Toti's actions to be a "deliberate play", Salah cannot be penalised or offside. In short, a "deliberate play" only applies when a defender has control over where the ball goes. There are many factors which are taken into account, and an attempted header is judged more in favour of the defender than a kick. This is because there is, generally, less control in heading a ball. Mohamed Salah is offside when the ball is played by Cody Gakpo. If a defender has to stretch or jump to head the ball, this is an extra layer for determining that it's not a "deliberate play". Dean decided not to intervene in the on-field decision to allow the goal. However. we are likely to see similar instances where a goal is disallowed. It's a hugely subjective area of offside, and Wolves can consider themselves very unfortunate to have conceded this goal too."

This is as close as he will ever get to saying Dean made a mistake.
An here is the problem...

In that case why aren’t fans boycotting ? Why are attendances at record levels in the PL
Because the year pre VAR (the previous highest) there wasa season average of 38k per match for the prem... Last season it was 39k ...
However, Tottenham have increased capacity by 20k per home match and , Huddersfield, West Brom, Swansea and Watford have all been replaced by much bigger supported clubs in Aston Villa, Leeds, Nots Forest and Wolves.
The overall ground capacity has risen by 44k per week but attendance by less than 1k. Grounds are therefore less full with bigger supported clubs in the league..

I keep getting told VAR isnt the problem, its the cretins operating it. Yet we're on what the ?3rd? tranche of operators of VAR... Yet another new "commander" of VAR who "pledges it will be improved"!... Its not run by the same people who ran it in the WC. Or by the same refs in europe who keep fucking VAR decisions up... Yet its the operators we're told! So WHO exactly can operate it? I am beginning to suspect nobody. Show me anywhere it is run and no controversy, and remember that's what it was brought in to do, stop the Lampard decisions from happening again. Yet we're still getting them. We're getting more if not the same amount of controversy.

So for me that leaves accepting either, the shitty decisions now (And the corrections) -v- just rolling it back, letting football flow freely AND accepting the poor decisons (And maybe less correct ones).
And for me I am tending towards the latter just because I am fed up with this shite.

Its become like speed camera's. Technically they're the right thing and stop people speeding, but really? Does it? I mean there's stats to show they do prevent deaths by a percentage (Produced by the stakeholders) yet we all know we slow down for the speed camera and then speed up (Not everyone does I know).

It's gone too far anyway, there';s too many fingers in the pie and they're all making money of this thing.

dojt let the fans vote btw, let the football league teams vote.

Similar to most club fans I’d say - In my view, fans that that want rid of VAR are like Brexit voters - always angry, outraged, calling corruption - they think without VAR we’ll be in a much better place, everything will be rosy like ‘it was before’’ - very short memories when you think of the outrage over decisions and the diving we had before especially Man Utd and Liverpool

For me we should stick with VAR - it is improving year on year - fewer matches now have major talking points like Liverpool match last night but there will always be mistakes and outrage - but with each one the PL can learn and adapt.

I know I’m in the minority on this on here

(Taking little one to soft play and then family meal after so off now - BlueMist feel free to come back and shout at the clouds )

Enjoy your family time.

Just do a couple of things for me when you get back.

i) accept that there is a commercial interest for the PL/FA in keeping competitions close and the best supported clubs in the battles for titles.

ii) accept that, unless VAR is completely transparent and consistent, there will always be suspicion that outcomes can be managed.

In return, I will happily accept that VAR is here to stay, has brought some benefits to the game and that fans will always complain about decisions even if VAR is perfect.

Start of an entente cordiale. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.