VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don’t think Man Utd fans moan and cry about VAR when decisions go against them ?
Of course they do. Every fan does. It doesn’t mean they aren’t being aided by the league to “protect the product”.

And it certainly doesn’t mean we should be confusing a Bingo gambling site “analysing” Twitter posts (and then being referenced on a Football humour and troll site) with legitimate scientific research. ;-)

Yet the hugely rich rugby league (sarcasm alert) ensures all grounds have screens including the grand final as it’s essential. Tough if capacity is affected.
Fully agree it was glossed over at the time. Clanfield being redeveloped to increase capacity but still no provision for screens. Stinks.

I’ll never accept this argument - more matches were ruined before VAR than they are now - fair enough if you recall it differently
West Ham and City fans tend to have a similar outlook when it comes to football.

How do your West Ham mates see this whole VAR situation?

It quite clearly isn’t 100% off side though. It is in fact right on the edge of the official description of what is and what isn’t classed as a “deliberate play” of the ball. The VAR is never going to over rule such a subjective decision. I believe he should have referred it back to the referee to make that decision though.

This is what our friend Dale Johnson said:

"It's a controversial decision, and goes right to the heart of what is a "deliberate play" by a defender. There is no doubt Salah is in an offside position, but if the officials judge Toti's actions to be a "deliberate play", Salah cannot be penalised or offside. In short, a "deliberate play" only applies when a defender has control over where the ball goes. There are many factors which are taken into account, and an attempted header is judged more in favour of the defender than a kick. This is because there is, generally, less control in heading a ball. Mohamed Salah is offside when the ball is played by Cody Gakpo. If a defender has to stretch or jump to head the ball, this is an extra layer for determining that it's not a "deliberate play". Dean decided not to intervene in the on-field decision to allow the goal. However. we are likely to see similar instances where a goal is disallowed. It's a hugely subjective area of offside, and Wolves can consider themselves very unfortunate to have conceded this goal too."

This is as close as he will ever get to saying Dean made a mistake.

I may be wrong, but for the CL and the WC this year, weren't they using their own cameras installed at pre-defined points in all stadiums on a consistent basis? But in England, we are still just using broadcast cameras? I guess with the introduction of SAOT, this problem with cameras will be resolved.

Doesn't explain why blind spots are accepted at any grounds though.

VAR has it's own cameras in the UK just for some reason this one camera didn't work (cough bullshit). The difference in the WC is the ball and players have sensors and the var ref just picks who had the last contact and the computer does the rest. Very little chance of any bias

In years gone by, this would be a scandal. Not once have we been told that there’s an issue at a PL ground and since its inception fans have been arguing whether VAR is working at that ground. Now we find that there is an issue and it doesn’t work in a particular area so therefore not playing within the rules.

How the hell have we got to this point with, after many years of implementation, the rules not being properly applied and the benefit of doubt being implemented on a subjective basis. Remember, we were told that certain decisions aren’t subjective, they’re black and white.
So Anfield and old Trafford both aren't fit for purpose regarding var ? After last night Anfield certainly isn't, has Trafford also been exposed ?

West Ham and City fans tend to have a similar outlook when it comes to football.

How do your West Ham mates see this whole VAR situation?

Similar to most club fans I’d say - In my view, fans that that want rid of VAR are like Brexit voters - always angry, outraged, calling corruption - they think without VAR we’ll be in a much better place, everything will be rosy like ‘it was before’’ - very short memories when you think of the outrage over decisions and the diving we had before especially Man Utd and Liverpool

For me we should stick with VAR - it is improving year on year - fewer matches now have major talking points like Liverpool match last night but there will always be mistakes and outrage - but with each one the PL can learn and adapt.

I know I’m in the minority on this on here

(Taking little one to soft play and then family meal after so off now - BlueMist feel free to come back and shout at the clouds )

I doubt that the saner posters on here think that VAR is to benefit Liverpool and United per se, I don't even think the PL cares if City win three in a row, even if they would like change. But surely you must understand the commercial benefit to the PL of having close competition for the title and having the most popular clubs involved as much as they can. Similarly for the FA with the two cups. The referees don't have to give penalties every week, or favour those teams every week. It's easy to manipulate results by the way matches are refereed. An opaque and poorly implemented VAR is the cherry on the cake.
This a thousand times over.

Scudamore's infamous comments (and I know I keep bringing this up) were ill informed, but he was telling the truth. The PL did have a 'strategic plan' to try and ensure desired league outcomes. 95% of the PAYING customers don't want to see a team like Manchester City dominating the league. Not so with other teams.

When he said this of the Rag's: "When your most popular club isn't doing as well, that costs you interest and audience in some places" you just knew it was no longer about the fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.