VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems the camera system is the favoured one but there is also a sensor system.
A couple of seasons back, a team, can't remember who but they were fighting relegation, scored a perfectly good goal BUT, the refs watch didn't bleep so he did not award it. It was later stated the keeper was obscuring the camera. There are no sensors (to my knowledge)

Edit 14 cameras mounted on the stadium roof according to fifa.com

A couple of seasons back, a team, can't remember who but they were fighting relegation, scored a perfectly good goal BUT, the refs watch didn't bleep so he did not award it. It was later stated the keeper was obscuring the camera. There are no sensors (to my knowledge)

Edit 14 cameras mounted on the stadium roof according to fifa.com
I don't mean together (sensor and camear). SWP posted article a bit back

But the handball, but the handball, but the handball...........
Lol, I believe that if refs and assistants were still encouraged to use their own eyes and believe in themselves again - it would have been given by one or the other at the time.
The reliance on VAR is the enemy. Encouraging lethargy and non decision making.

Conspiracy brigade? All we are doing is trying to find credible explanations from the evidence before us.

1. The corner taker wasn't offside at any point. Any competent referee's assistant will know that being in an offside position isn't the same as being offside. He was in an offside position for the first header (unsurprising really, as he had just taken the corner). But he was at least 30 yards away from the ball, and the ball stayed in front of the goal.

2. He was in an onside position when the second header was made.

3. He was not offside at any point during that attack.

4. Given he wasn't offside, why was he flagged offside? Why is nobody asking the linesman why he interpreted this as offside? He should be punished for making such basic errors.

5. What was the signal from Madley to his linesman?

6. Why didn't the linesman signal for offside until after Madley gave this gesture with his hand.

7. Why did the linesman appear to go towards the centre of the pitch, and change his mind after he saw the signal from Madley.

8. Can we hear the conversations between officials, if they have nothing to hide.

These are all genuine concerns, that PGMOL and other governing bodies are ignoring. It screams BENT.

All we have from them is that there wasn't enough video evidence to overturn the original decision, as if the offside decision in itself was marginal. It wasn't. As I said above, no competent assistant referee would have deemed that as offside.
Why wasn't the offside marginal? It looks to be close enough in the image you've shown? Being 30 yards away from the ball doesn't stop you being offside.

Still - the not enough video evidence involved only one camera catching the action, while the second was zoomed into the box, where action was expected to take place. With just one camera angle, when it's similar to the shot you've given, it's impossible for a human to judge accurately. We've seen that numerous times where a player looked onside, but when the line is drawn across the pitch it's a clear offside.

It's also impossible for assistants to get all close calls right - They can't really look at two things at once (the ball and the last man), and if the assistant is just a foot out of line with the ball, then a player on the other side of the pitch could easily appear to be the last man, while being onside.

The usual arguments on here are about just how fast a player can move between frames, so I really can't see how we can say that image shows a clearly onside player.

It would be nice to know what was said between ref and assistant, but if you take VAR out of the equation because it ultimately had no impact, then it's simply a tricky call that the assistant may have got wrong.

No. Thanks to Var the refs dont need to make important decisions, they simply wait for Var. Why give a decision and then look stupid when Var overturn it, just leave it to someone else to do the hardwork.
That cannot be right. Once you decide you don't need to be mentally alert you are on a downward slope.
This, coupled with the “clear and obvious error” threshold, is arguably the biggest issue with VAR.

It means referees can just wait for VAR to review incidents instead of making a decision on the field when the incident occurs and then VAR can say that there isn’t enough evidence to say it was a clear and obvious error by the referee to not make a decision (and vice versa, as we saw last night).

It’s a farce, made real by Madley every week.

No. Thanks to Var the refs dont need to make important decisions, they simply wait for Var. Why give a decision and then look stupid when Var overturn it, just leave it to someone else to do the hardwork.
That cannot be right. Once you decide you don't need to be mentally alert you are on a downward slope.

so before VAR, refs would of gave that decision to City ?

Conspiracy brigade? All we are doing is trying to find credible explanations from the evidence before us.

1. The corner taker wasn't offside at any point. Any competent referee's assistant will know that being in an offside position isn't the same as being offside. He was in an offside position for the first header (unsurprising really, as he had just taken the corner). But he was at least 30 yards away from the ball, and the ball stayed in front of the goal.

2. He was in an onside position when the second header was made.

3. He was not offside at any point during that attack.

4. Given he wasn't offside, why was he flagged offside? Why is nobody asking the linesman why he interpreted this as offside? He should be punished for making such basic errors.

5. What was the signal from Madley to his linesman?

6. Why didn't the linesman signal for offside until after Madley gave this gesture with his hand.

7. Why did the linesman appear to go towards the centre of the pitch, and change his mind after he saw the signal from Madley.

8. Can we hear the conversations between officials, if they have nothing to hide.

These are all genuine concerns, that PGMOL and other governing bodies are ignoring. It screams BENT.

All we have from them is that there wasn't enough video evidence to overturn the original decision, as if the offside decision in itself was marginal. It wasn't. As I said above, no competent assistant referee would have deemed that as offside.

I wasn’t necessarily including you as being in the conspiracy brigade. To be honestly I rarely pay much attention to who I’m replying to.

But some people are convinced that every single referee and every single organisation is involved in one huge scam to fuck City over and benefit Liverpool. Ironically normally the first people to accuse Liverpool fans of having a victim mentality. Which is all fair enough, if that’s what they think. But there’s little point in debating with them, as their answer to everything is… Because it/ he/ they are bent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.