VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which isn’t remotely the fault of VAR which did its bloody job.

Without VAR, that’s not a penalty and would be being talked about at length in the agenda or bad refereeing thread.

Only a select number of City fans could use VAR doing its job as a reason denigrate VAR.

The point being argued, I think, was that the availability of VAR means referees are less likely to give a decision if they know VAR will cover for them. So it's not a case of the penalty in question not being given without VAR, rather a case of the penalty being given on first sight without a safety net. The ref was looking right at it but, of course, we will never know unless we hear the comms.

The Comms need to be public/transparent - in some ways that may do more to clean up any corruption/ perception of it or incompetence than video footage which ultimately goes off to an unaccountable entity in a room miles away to be silently (and subjectively) refereed.

I'm not denigrating VAR for that. I'm having a go at the referee for missing an obvious handball. In our game v Chelsea I didn't really see any great issue with VAR.
Right, so you agree with my original point which was “VAR did it’s job for us in the Chelsea game” then?

The point being argued, I think, was that the availability of VAR means referees are less likely to give a decision if they know VAR will cover for them. So it's not a case of the penalty in question not being given without VAR, rather a case of the penalty being given on first sight without a safety net. The ref was looking right at it but, of course, we will never know unless we hear the comms.
But we saw hundreds of missed penalties for handball and everything else pre-VAR, which is partly why VAR was brought in in the first place.

VAR is very far from perfect but there are more correct decisions now than there previously were. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t demand that it continues to improve or that we get to hear what’s being said of course.

But we saw hundreds of missed penalties for handball and everything else pre-VAR, which is partly why VAR was brought in in the first place.

VAR is very far from perfect but there are more correct decisions now than there previously were. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t demand that it continues to improve or that we get to hear what’s being said of course.
How come it doesn’t work properly at Clanfield?

The only two previous occasions I’ve heard any talk of these blind spots for VAR are that Italian game ( forget the teams ) and the Arsenal V Liverpool game where Arsenal potentially benefited from it.

I’ve heard vague talk about Old Trafford not been up to scratch camera wise.

But a genuine, unloaded question. Have there been any other specific incidents where the relevant governing body has admitted a decision was unable to be reviewed properly by VAR due to a blind spot?
A simple answer is no. It is disgraceful that the Arsenal goal was covered up as it now seems clear the cameras were not up to scratch.
We are being lied to. It is the Emperors new clothes.

So it very much did its job and that’s what it’s there for.
But that is missing the point entirely. With Var the referee no longer has to make decisions and so cops out of making important ones.
The problem then arises with the clear and obvious rule. Var have to then decide whether to intervene. In turn that causes controversy. No other sport allows a ref to abdicate his responsibility.

Fairy nuff.

There were rumours that VAR was not working at all in the first half at one end of the ground during our 2-0 defeat at Anfield. Salah looked offside, and we also denied a penalty.

It could obviously just be " unfortunate " that VAR wasn't working that day, but perhaps " fortunate " that the dippers were favoured by the technical fault .

Just saying.........................

Absolutely right, and if there is nothing for PiGMOL to be concerned about regarding their operation and application of VAR, then supporters should be able to hear the discussions between officials .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.