VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing, No discussion, no mention in the studio of it being looked at? What was the commentary and studio reaction?

not sure on commentary/studio reaction

I've had a look, most see it as he lost his footing and a unfortunate accident - also he apologises within seconds. others seem to think it was deliberate

they could review this but there is no way of proving he meant that deliberately

Legitimised result manipulation/assistance, and gives almost complete control to Governing bodies. If that's how you want football to go - you must be very happy.

Did you have this view pre VAR ?

When refs and linos could just award whatever they wanted - watch the Man U v Man City game with Riley officiating for instance

But that is missing the point entirely. With Var the referee no longer has to make decisions and so cops out of making important ones.
The problem then arises with the clear and obvious rule. Var have to then decide whether to intervene. In turn that causes controversy. No other sport allows a ref to abdicate his responsibility.

Not sure I really follow this logic. The referee always has to make a decision. There is no provision for him to refer an incident to the VAR that he hasn’t adjudicated on himself one way or the other. Whether it’s giving a penalty, a goal or a red card or making the decision to not give them and play on.

If by not making a decision you mean not giving a penalty ( for example ) that he actually thinks is probably a penalty, how is that benefitting him?

Did you have this view pre VAR ?

When refs and linos could just award whatever they wanted - watch the Man U v Man City game with Riley officiating for instance
Yes of course, they haven't just wanted to shape outcomes, obviously - but they couldn't carry on with that approach ad infinitum with all the furore and scrutiny it attracted; and upon an individual too - Now they have very cleverly come up with this, faceless, unexplained and with some naive support. I take my hat off, I really do.

Yes of course, they haven't just wanted to shape outcomes, obviously - but they couldn't carry on with that approach ad infinitum with all the furore and scrutiny it attracted; and upon an individual too - Now they have very cleverly come up with this, faceless, unexplained and with some naive support. I take my hat off, I really do.

But there putting thereselves under way more scrutiny and furore with VAR and leaving themselves caught trapped most of the time

Pre VAR the ref could easily not of spotted that handball v Chelsea and nothing happens

Now. The ref can not spot it but VAR does (vast majority of time) and the ref has no choice but to award the rightful penalty

For example

Right, so you agree with my original point which was “VAR did it’s job for us in the Chelsea game” then?
I've never disagreed with your original point.

Where I DO see an issue with the game is that the referee APPEARED to be incapable of ruling in real-time on what looked to be a SIMPLE handball offence, instead leaning heavily on VAR to make the decision for him. This is NOT what VAR was brought in for.

Anger at VAR/Officials mistakes is fine and fair enough, I feel the same.

Anger towards those that try and bring a bit of balance and objectivity to debate the pros and cons is not right and it ruins the thread - to be fair it's only 1 or 2 on here that try and shut up any opposing views.
Don't be so hard on yourself :)

But there putting thereselves under way more scrutiny and furore with VAR and leaving themselves caught trapped most of the time

Pre VAR the ref could easily not of spotted that handball v Chelsea and nothing happens

Now. The ref can not spot it but VAR does (vast majority of time) and the ref has no choice but to award the rightful penalty

For example
Did you watch the World Cup? Subtle phasing out of contentious replays and "it''s been looked at". Of course that's enough for you - "VAR's looked at it." = legit and dealt with, that's the beauty of it and this is only the tip. I guarantee that as in football grounds, tv companies will be told or encouraged not to dwell or comment upon contentious incidents before long - and who are they to argue - contracts to keep. The whole thing is an insidious carve up. I agree with you though on one point VAR/technology hasn't caused this - it's vested interests, but it gives it a thinly veiled aura of legitimacy.

And yes- I am a very cynical c*nt.

Not sure I really follow this logic. The referee always has to make a decision. There is no provision for him to refer an incident to the VAR that he hasn’t adjudicated on himself one way or the other. Whether it’s giving a penalty, a goal or a red card or making the decision to not give them and play on.

If by not making a decision you mean not giving a penalty ( for example ) that he actually thinks is probably a penalty, how is that benefitting him?
On Sunday the ref was 5 yards away from the handball. It happened quickly. He can whistle and award the penalty. This will of course be reviewed by Var and he could be invited to watch it on the screen as he made a mistake. This opens him up to ridicule for making a mistake.
A far easier option, no matter what he has seen, is do fuck all, give nowt and let Var make the decision. That imo, is what he did, he took the lazy, unprofessional way out.
The problem this can lead to is when it becomes a habit. Don't make big calls, let Var do it but that then brings in the Clear and Obvious rule where Var won't get involved.
The whole Var set up is wrong, it is unprofessional in the way it is operated. Different clubs have a different amount of cameras, some clubs even have blind spots. Everything about Var is unprofessional and open to abuse.

not sure on commentary/studio reaction

I've had a look, most see it as he lost his footing and a unfortunate accident - also he apologises within seconds. others seem to think it was deliberate

they could review this but there is no way of proving he meant that deliberately

Mings got a retrospective red for this 'stamp', and Ibrahimovic didn't for the elbow.

I think it is perfectly clear which one of those was done with intent...

(The initial foul by the way should have been given for the dive by Ibrahimovic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.