VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the better for hiding stuff in plain sight. Just a waft of the arm by the whistling wanker, arm in the air for offside, point to the middle for a goal! Big screens just aren't needed!!

I can’t see any screens from my seat anyway but from what I’ve noticed at other grounds, the only thing I’ve seen is a “VAR checking “ message. Which is pretty obvious anyway to anyone one sight. So what specifically are fans in grounds with no screens missing out on in relation to VAR?

I didn't want to post about it, because I couldn't find a link (though, my memory for data points is usually pretty good), but I could have sworn that prior to VAR the accuracy rate of refereeing decisions was being reported as 90+% for most seasons.

I don't know why we are quoting PL statistics. They can say anything to justify whatever outcome they want.

Before VAR everything was rosy with a promise of VAR eliminating major errors. After VAR, lo and behold, everything was worse before and is much better now.

A bit like saying there have been 6 errors made by VAR. You and I know there have been many more than that, but just define error how you want.

Even discussing them gives them a credibility they don't deserve. This coming from someone who, in a previous life, wrote press releases justifying pretty much any financial performance as record-breaking.

I have added a poll at this top of the thread to determine how many active in this thread believe that VAR was designed and implemented solely to benefit Liverpool and United, as you have defined the membership of the "conspiracy brigade".

Now up to 47% lol

I don't think it matters. You have to deal with bad refereeing decisions, bad VAR decisions, bad linesman decisions etc etc, and bad timing of competitions, but nobody cares about that. Nobody cares that the bin-dippers nearly won the treble - that's like a darts player who misses the important throws. Nobody cares. What pisses me off moreso is that the so-called pundits that constantly claim that we are the best club team in 'europe' will never ever say that we are the best club team in 'world football'. And we are - without a doubt the best team in world football - but they'll never say it. They'll pontificate that a player is world class, but when last did you ever hear somebody say that our squad is the 'best in the world'. They use this 'european' angle as a way to not admit how good a squad is, yet they're happy to spout the narrative that a particular player is 'world class'. That's how uneducated many of these pundits and journos are. False praise is proffered to appease a narrative - it's always been that way, yet these pundits and journos still carry on doin' it - and many of us don't bat an eyelid.

Last edited:
Well, there is rarely much "proof" of corruption (or simply undue manipulation) until it all comes out later, especially in football, so I am not sure dismissing any and all opinions/claims (some based on fairly reasonable observations and analysis of the very suspect way in which the current iteration of VAR was designed and implemented) as conspiratorial ravings is necessarily a winning strategy in the long-term...

But to each their own.
Mark Halsey claimed he was once told to alter his match report. He says he was told to change his report to say he hadn't seen Aguero's elbow swing 'aimed' at Winston Reid.

Aguero was retrospectively banned, and subsequently missed the Derby.

Halsey has gone quiet on this now, which is a reminder that the PL/PGMOL/FA employ some very effective lawyers. Hardly surprising given the HUGE cash cow they are protecting.

I don't think it matters. You have to deal with bad refereeing decisions, bad VAR decisions, bad linesman decisions etc etc, and bad timing of competitions, but nobody cares about that. Nobody cares that the bin-dippers nearly won the treble - that's like a darts player who misses the important throws. Nobody cares. What pisses me off more is that the so-called pundits that constantly claim that we are the best club team in 'Europe' - however they will never ever say that we are the best club team in 'world football'. And we are - without a doubt the best team in world football - but they'll never say it. They'll pontificate that a player is world class, but when last did you ever hear somebody say that our squad is the 'best in the world'. They use this 'European' angle as a way to not admit how good a squad is, yet they're happy to spout that a particular player is 'world class'. That's how uneducated many of these pundits and journos are. False praise is proffered to appease a narrative - it's always been that way, yet these pundits and jurnos still carry on doin' it - and many of us don't bat an eyelid.

Are you ok mate? Maybe most people in Europe don’t tend to really watch any club football from other continents, so don’t feel qualified to talk about it?

Would he have stayed on if there was VAR ?

And people wonder why I call for it

Players could smash someone in the face without officials noticing and get away with it , it’s a joke some would rather this way
The fact that Andy Robertson has never had a red card in the 4 years of VAR use in the Premier League and 5 years in the Champions League suggests that some players can repeatedly get away with on pitch violence with or without VAR cameras.

I don't know why we are quoting PL statistics. They can say anything to justify whatever outcome they want.

Before VAR everything was rosy with a promise of VAR eliminating major errors. After VAR, lo and behold, everything was worse before and is much better now.

A bit like saying there have been 6 errors made by VAR. You and I know there have been many more than that, but just define error how you want.

Even discussing them gives them a credibility they don't deserve. This coming from someone who, in a previous life, wrote press releases justifying pretty much any financial performance as record-breaking.
That’s actually my point. :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.