VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I am a dimwit, but was var actually used on the obvious offside? I thought i read on bbc it was but others say not.
I can't abide watching it again for myself.
VAR wasnt used is what I read. The lino put his flag up, The ref went to the lino, They discussed endlessly on the rules (New rules since VAR),
The ref awarded the goal

In the past that was always offside. VAR has brought this shit upon us and I seriously am beginning to think it needs rolling back now.... With VAR they've got to look into the never-ending rabbit hole of decision making, they're confused by it all....

"What actually is handball"
"What is actually a foul"
"What is actually offside" (I never thought I would see that question! )
"Where does the phase of play start or finish"
"what is actually a penalty"

We knew all the answers to that before VAR, it was a judgement from the ref! Sometimes he got it wrong. But they would never get it as wrong as is now.

There is a difference between the TAA incident and Rashford. TAA is only approaching the ball to take the throw as it rolls out of play Rashford is charging through on goal intent on shooting which makes it worse by a country mile I. Terms of affecting play yet the latter isn’t given it’s a fucking disgrace

I’ve only seen it once just now but the referee is clearly talking to someone immediately before he points to the centre circle. As the linesman is only a couple of feet away from him at the time, it’s probably safe to assume he’s communicating with the VAR.

Or his bookie :)

VAR wasnt used is what I read. The lino put his flag up, The ref went to the lino, They discussed endlessly on the rules (New rules since VAR),
The ref awarded the goal

In the past that was always offside. VAR has brought this shit upon us and I seriously am beginning to think it needs rolling back now.... With VAR they've got to look into the never-ending rabbit hole of decision making, they're confused by it all....

"What actually is handball"
"What is actually a foul"
"What is actually offside" (I never thought I would see that question! )
"Where does the phase of play start or finish"
"what is actually a penalty"

We knew all the answers to that before VAR, it was a judgement from the ref! Sometimes he got it wrong. But they would never get it as wrong as is now.

I've said it before a hundred times. They are trying to describe in detail all the possible handball and offside offences in an attempt to remove inconsistency. Every year there are more and more definitions of what is and what isn't offside and handball. So much so, that no-one now knows anything any more. If spectators can't understand the rules, what are they spectating exactly?

This is exactly the wrong way to go and it is ruining the game. The problem is that every time you put more detail in these regulations, new possibilities emerge that haven't been considered, so you need more and more detailed rules. More confusion, and you have the Rashford incident which didn't, according to some including the referee, fall into any of the 4 or 5 situations described as being active in the new offside law, so he wasn't off-side. Despite the fact that everyone concedes he was in front of the last man, and gained an advantage.

Now there is an idea. Scrap all these rules and let VAR decide if he was in front of the last man and the referee decide if he gained an advantage. Simple. Understandable. Won't always be uncontroversial, but we won't have all this "letter of the law" nonsense we have now. And handball. God help us if we just have the accidental/deliberate distinction. How would we manage without three pages of rules that have to be followed, that change every year and no-one can relate to?

This is what happens when you let referees like Colina make the rules instead of just applying them, imo.

Sorry, rant over.

I've said it before a hundred times. They are trying to describe in detail all the possible handball and offside offences in an attempt to remove inconsistency. Every year there are more and more definitions of what is and what isn't offside and handball. So much so, that no-one now knows anything any more. If spectators can't understand the rules, what are they spectating exactly?

This is exactly the wrong way to go and it is ruining the game. The problem is that every time you put more detail in these regulations, new possibilities emerge that haven't been considered, so you need more and more detailed rules. More confusion, and you have the Rashford incident which didn't, according to some including the referee, fall into any of the 4 or 5 situations described as being active in the new offside law, so he wasn't off-side. Despite the fact that everyone concedes he was in front of the last man, and gained an advantage.

Now there is an idea. Scrap all these rules and let VAR decide if he was in front of the last man and the referee decide if he gained an advantage. Simple. Understandable. Won't always be uncontroversial, but we won't have all this "letter of the law" nonsense we have now. And handball. God help us if we just have the accidental/deliberate distinction. How would we manage without three pages of rules that have to be followed, that change every year and no-one can relate to?

This is what happens when you let referees like Colina make the rules instead of just applying them, imo.

Sorry, rant over.
The game existed perfectly well for 150 years before VAR. Refs and linesmen made mistakes and you took the rough with the smooth. You could celebrate like a lunatic when you scored. If the flag went up, no goal.
Then we were told we had to have VAR. nobody asked us, the fans.
Now you can no longer celebrate for fear of some bullshit indiscretion.
As I’ve said from day one - put it to the fans. No VAR and you let the ref / linesman be in total charge. You’ll get mistakes but you’ll be able to celebrate like you always did.
Have VAR and know you can never truly celebrate a goal - the one thing we love to do at the game more than anything else.
Simple question: VAR or no VAR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.