VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
As highlighted above, refs are to be micd up at next months Club World Cup.

This was confirmed at IFAB meeting today. The tournament is being held in
Morocco but no decision yet as to which language, French, English or Arabic.

However, VAR onscreen messages will be shown in the other x2 languages.

They didn't show a video but there were some made up examples shown to
the delegates, I didn't see any English examples but did see a few of French,

équipe jouant en rouge : GOAL VAR = OUI
équipe jouant en rouge : PENALTY VAR= OUI
équipe jouant en rouge : RED CARD VAR= NON JAMAIS
équipe jouant en bleu : OFFSIDE VAR= OUI TOUJOURS

I did this post on another thread but it’s probably more appropriate for this one:

They aren’t opening up the communication between the referee, linesman and VAR for public consumption. What they are doing is having the referee announce the reason for VAR decisions to stadium and TV audiences.

It’s a welcome first step but not quite the huge act of transparency that people have been calling for.

For example if Saturday’s game had been part of the trial, I imagine the announcement would have been something along the lines of:

“The player in an off side position was not interfering with play or an opponent. Therefore the decision is a goal.”

Edit. I’ve just read that the announcements will only be made when VAR has overturned an on field decision. So in Saturday’s case there wouldn’t have been any announcement.

:)

He is right, VAR is being used to decide microscopic offences when, when it was introduced, it was announced it would cut out errors like Henry's handball goal against Ireland, and Spurs' goal that wasn't against United. It's become a monster that is affecting the match-going and other spectator experience with the delusion it can get some situations right because they are "factual".

I am a firm believer that if the spectators or players can't see an offence with the naked eye, then it shouldn't be an offence. If the spectators or players can see an offence that the referees miss, then by all means look at it. But do it within the same restrictions as the spectator/players/linesman/referee. Full speed, and if can't decide in two views, just move on.

Oh, and make the goddamn laws simpler, like they used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.