VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems odd with all the very tight decisions being made for offside, it appears to me, nothing like the effort is put into determining the exact nano second the ball is struck.Unless some sort of tech is being used that an old chap like myself is unaware of.

NEW POLL

Has on-field officiating (referees/linesmen) in the PL gotten better or worse in the era of VAR?

The whole threshold of offside is bollocks,going down to a microscopic level to determine if he’s on or off,yes I know technically someone could be offside after three minutes of checking and it’s a toenail but what advantage is actually gained ffs..

The whole threshold of offside is bollocks,going down to a microscopic level to determine if he’s on or off,yes I know technically someone could be offside after three minutes of checking and it’s a toenail but what advantage is actually gained ffs..
What advantage is being gained is largely dependent on which team would be scoring the goal, as we have seen being 5 yards off side is not gaining an advantage if you are a United player, but being 5 cm offside is gaining an advantage if you are a City player.

What advantage is being gained is largely dependent on which team would be scoring the goal, as we have seen being 5 yards off side is not gaining an advantage if you are a United player, but being 1 mm offside is gaining an advantage if you are a City player.
Edited for completeness

I'm not so sure. The FIFA inertia sensor operates at a higher frequency than the cameras, which determine the player data points, operate. So most offsides will be determined between camera frames. FIFA say they will interpolate an exact position but I am calling bullshit on that one. UEFA SAOT doesn't even have an inertia sensor in the ball (at least it didn't last year). It was all done from camera imagery.

Also, the data points on the player are just captured from camera imagery. They aren't wearing any sexy sensor equipment. One data point in the knee for example. So the data point isn't the actual extremity of the knee, front or back, but a position inside it. A few cms out. Just basing this on explanations from FIFA (image of the 39 data points). If that image is wrong, I may be wrong.
I was stating that there isn't 5-6 frames they could have picked with semi auto offside it's 1 frame only and thats the frame closest to the point of impact on the ball. It's a maths problem, all the var ref has to do if pick which touch could cause the offside and the computer does the rest.

I hate it. It spoils the spontaneous joy of scoring a goal. I don't want to have to think "oh shit, here come the shameless, cheaty VAR half-wits looking for a way to shaft us"; when I'm trying to celebrate our team scoring. That Gundo title winning goal last season was given but it cheated me of something 'cos I was convinced they'd say Gundo's pet cat was on the pitch and it's left paw was offside. Put VAR in the bin. Worst invention since the Rags and the atom bomb ... in that order, Anyway, they cheat whether they're using VAR or nah. So I see no advantage,

I hate VAR with a passion. It's taken away soooo much more from football than it gives.

The best thing technology have given us in recent times is goal line technology. It's pretty much completely accurate, and fairly instantaneous. It's brilliant, and I think anything new coming in has to reach the same standard. So I do believe off side technology will become automated at some point in the near future, and that will be great too.

For all of footballs subjective decisions, for which there are many of them as we know, we've got pigmol trying to figure out the best way to work VAR and it's constantly changing as a bunch of subjective decisions get put under the microscope each week, with Pigmol trying to react every few months to tweak how the game should be reffed and VARd.
Well, this situation ain't ever changing, they're just gonna keep going round and round in circles trying to find this holy grail of perfect VAR system for football that simply does not exist.

I prefer the days of going completely mental, with a quick half glance at the lino for a flag up, before carrying on with my celebrations when a goal goes in.

The poll on here about referees getting worse, I've voted yes, but I do have some sympathy for them.
I honestly don't think they know whether they're coming or going, as the rules are tweaked, the interpretations are changed, and I think half the time they lazily will just not give a decision on the expectation that VAR will mop it up for them.

I'm more of a reader on here, than a poster, and especially not long rants, but omg I fucking hate VAR!

Reactions: Ric
I hate VAR with a passion. It's taken away soooo much more from football than it gives.

The best thing technology have given us in recent times is goal line technology. It's pretty much completely accurate, and fairly instantaneous. It's brilliant, and I think anything new coming in has to reach the same standard. So I do believe off side technology will become automated at some point in the near future, and that will be great too.

For all of footballs subjective decisions, for which there are many of them as we know, we've got pigmol trying to figure out the best way to work VAR and it's constantly changing as a bunch of subjective decisions get put under the microscope each week, with Pigmol trying to react every few months to tweak how the game should be reffed and VARd.
Well, this situation ain't ever changing, they're just gonna keep going round and round in circles trying to find this holy grail of perfect VAR system for football that simply does not exist.

I prefer the days of going completely mental, with a quick half glance at the lino for a flag up, before carrying on with my celebrations when a goal goes in.

The poll on here about referees getting worse, I've voted yes, but I do have some sympathy for them.
I honestly don't think they know whether they're coming or going, as the rules are tweaked, the interpretations are changed, and I think half the time they lazily will just not give a decision on the expectation that VAR will mop it up for them.

I'm more of a reader on here, than a poster, and especially not long rants, but omg I fucking hate VAR!
Good post mate.

I’m with you - think VAR is mainly shit and is spoiling the game. I was actually in favour when it was introduced, but after seeing it in practice for a few seasons you’d have to say that the cons outweigh the pros.

I don’t really buy into some of the conspiracy theories about it that seem prevalent, but as a match going fan it is certainly hampering my enjoyment of the game. I don’t think it’s necessarily corrupt, just a change for the worse in its current format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.