VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howard Webb trying to keep VAR interventions to a minimum by penalising attackers to 1mm for where their limbs are in a normal running movement. And don't start about thicker lines, please.

It’s close but it’s a lot more than 1 mm. There’s a small but clear gap between the two lines.

06b528456a7bb9c8d869e767bb47d1ed.jpg

It’s close but it’s a lot more than 1 mm. There’s a small but clear gap between the two lines.

06b528456a7bb9c8d869e767bb47d1ed.jpg
My point was more that the guy has done everything you can expect him to do to stay onside. He is looking down the line, he has timed his run. As far as he, and everybody else watching, can judge, he is onside. But because his running movement has his knee extended at that particular 1/50 of a second, he is offside. It's ridiculous. Applying a level of accuracy that no human can apply, and taking away a part of the sport, springing an off-side trap, for what purpose exactly?

My point was more that the guy has done everything you can expect him to do to stay onside. He is looking down the line, he has timed his run. As far as he, and everybody else watching, can judge, he is onside. But because his running movement has his knee extended at that particular 1/50 of a second, he is offside. It's ridiculous. Applying a level of accuracy that no human can apply, and taking away a part of the sport, springing an off-side trap, for what purpose exactly?

Yeah it’s a fair point. I suspect the vast majority of us want the same thing and know what it is in our heads. We want obvious mistakes corrected and marginal calls left on the field. The problem is putting that into words that can be applied as you intend it and covers all eventualities.

Yeah it’s a fair point. I suspect the vast majority of us want the same thing and know what it is in our heads. We want obvious mistakes corrected and marginal calls left on the field. The problem is putting that into words that can be applied as you intend it and covers all eventualities.

Against which I would argue that you can never cover all eventualities. This is my other bugbear. Changing the rules to try to cover all eventualities is a stupid mistake, because there will always be situations that aren't covered. Then you get poor referees giving decisions like the Rashford non-offside because they followed "the letter of the law".

That was one of the most ridiculous decisions I have ever seen, along with Spurs' ball over the line against United which wasn't given as a goal and Henry's handball goal against Ireland.

A system that doesn't disallow that goal isn't fit for purpose and Colina and Wenger have a lot to answer for. Football is a touchy-feely sort of game that needs touchy-feely refereeing. I suppose Webb should be commended for rolling back the use of VAR for the subjective decisions, but that needs to happen for the "factual" decisions as well, imo.

And manipulated by what frame they use , does the ball even leave any part.of his.foot in that frame ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.