VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said for a while that the only way to get everybody onside (no pun intended) with VAR is to broadcast what the officials and the VAR team are saying verbatim... Then there is nothing hidden, we know what they say and we know (or hear at least) the justification for decisions... Then we can argue the toss when things are as blatant as us v the rags and today in the Brighton game
The rags one didn't go to VAR..
Most decisions by VAR never get to the point of discussing with Ref. Most made on hoof.

I voted for "No change."

I'm a huge proponent for VAR - but it's got a long, long way to go.

Officials not being able to call offsides immediately is a huge issue. Another huge issue - every time a goal is scored there's doubt - is it going to be called off by VAR? - is it really a goal - a nervous celebration at best.\

Eventually VAR will improve to eliminate these concerns - it will be obvious, transparent, replays showing why calls were made will be instantly available, and the game will be better for it.

Right now - VAR is a technology in infancy - and is in much need of improvement.

I voted for "No change."

I'm a huge proponent for VAR - but it's got a long, long way to go.

Officials not being able to call offsides immediately is a huge issue. Another huge issue - every time a goal is scored there's doubt - is it going to be called off by VAR? - is it really a goal - a nervous celebration at best.\

Eventually VAR will improve to eliminate these concerns - it will be obvious, transparent, replays showing why calls were made will be instantly available, and the game will be better for it.

Right now - VAR is a technology in infancy - and is in much need of improvement.
Var as a system is not the problem. It's being run by the same inept officials as are on the pitch, that is the problem.

How does miked up work if VAR don't even review?
Will they only broadcast discussions once VAR needs to discuss with ref?
What about all those quick decisions that never get communicated back in the first place?
This will make little difference.

From what I read last week, the only things they’re going to announce are when there’s been a VAR overturn. Which don’t happen very often.

Should have happened twice in that Brighton game though. The Robertson one was probably just on the right side of being left to the onfield decision.

Var as a system is not the problem. It's being run by the same inept officials as are on the pitch, that is the problem.
Agree.

But that's going to change. VAR is going to hand down a decision to the refs on the field to enforce - no second guessing. 4 to 10 years out IMO - but this is going to happen.

If the communicated with the crowd/viewing audience it wouldn't be a problem.
Would almost make you think they were the most likely to benefit.
A non league referee I know attended an evening dinner at which a premier league referee gave a talk. This was about 5 years ago. He confirmed that of all the teams in the premier league, only two objected to the implementation of VAR.
The non league referee asked me who I thought these two teams were, and he actually looked surprised when I correctly told him United and LiVARpool.

A non league referee I know attended an evening dinner at which a premier league referee gave a talk. This was about 5 years ago. He confirmed that of all the teams in the premier league, only two objected to the implementation of VAR.
The non league referee asked me who I thought these two teams were, and he actually looked surprised when I correctly told him United and LiVARpool.

This isn’t true. It’s a matter of record that all 20 Premier League clubs unanimously voted for the introduction of VAR.

The rags one didn't go to VAR..
Most decisions by VAR never get to the point of discussing with Ref. Most made on hoof.
Every goal is checked by VAR the ref would have been told that Rashford was in an office position that nothing else was wrong The ref probably asked VAR if he touched the ball he checked with the Lino then made his wrong decision that Rashford wasnt interfering with play VAR under the current remit couldn’t do any more

Edited for typo wasnt not was

Last edited:
Every goal is checked by VAR the ref would have been told that Rashford was in an office position that nothing else was wrong The ref probably asked VAR if he touched the ball he checked with the Lino then made his wrong decision that Rashford was interfering with play VAR under the current remit couldn’t do any more
If he thought that Rashford was interfering with play (you said that) then why wasn’t the goal disallowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.