VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't really matter if it's cowardice, corruption or incompetence, the issue seems to be reaching critical mass.

Fulham had their meltdown because they think they've been shafted so many times by the referees that it's corruption, Arsenal got a referee fired because they kicked up such a fuss, Wolves have had 3 apologies in just over a month from Howard Webb for major errors and Brighton will be raging after today.

They have to release the transcripts of the VAR conversations after the matches at a minimum.

They're destroying public confidence in the game.

Ultimately what they really need to do is rewrite the rule book with VAR in mind. They end up getting into ridiculous problems because they're trying to stick to rules that weren't written with video replay in mind. Things like a handball should be judged by the impact they had on the play, not some nebulous idea of intent based on natural arm position.

The one thing we can not let happen is to get rid of VAR. without it ‘cheating/manipulation’ would be so much easier to do.
We need transparency - cameras and mics in the Ops rooms of Stockley Park - and let the fans see how decisions are made. And make it LIVE , maybe an option on the red button.
What are these fuckers so afraid of what we might witness? A rhetorical question - I think we know what the answer is

The one thing we can not let happen is to get rid of VAR. without it ‘cheating/manipulation’ would be so much easier to do.
We need transparency - cameras and mics in the Ops rooms of Stockley Park - and let the fans see how decisions are made. And make it LIVE , maybe an option on the red button.
What are these fuckers so afraid of what we might witness? A rhetorical question - I think we know what the answer is
Agenda. And only the naïef persons think football is played fair. It’s not.

Even more easier than what we,are seeing now? A penalty awarded after the full time whistle as just one example of hundreds of "mistakes".

STV News​

(Scottish Premiership - VAR)

Walker claims VAR interfered to give ref 'easy way out' of decision​

The Sky Sports commentator listened in to a conversation between the VAR official and referee at an unnamed Premiership game.

Sky Sports pundit Andy Walker has claimed he overheard VAR officials interfere with an on-pitch referee to give them an “easy way out” of making a contentious decision.

The former Celtic player, who commentates on Premiership football for the broadcaster, reportedly revealed he listened in to a conversation between the officials and was shocked when he heard one say “the easiest way out of this, is if it’s offside”.

Walker, who also had spells at Motherwell and A*r United during his playing career, refused to name names or even the game the incident took place.

But he revealed his concerns about the wording used.

STV News understands the SFA are “unhappy” and seeking clarification from Sky Sports over the claims.

The 57-year-old, who has three Scotland caps, said: “Working with Sky I have the option of listening to VAR. To be absolutely clear I hear the video assistant referee – not the referee on the pitch.

“I have a concern. I won’t mention any names and I won’t name the teams involved but there was an instance where a couple of things happened in the space of a second or two.

“And I heard the VAR say ‘the easiest way out of this, is if it’s offside’.

“That to me is really poor language. There should be no idea that we get an easy way out. You have to look at what’s happening on the pitch and apply the laws of the game – don’t look for the easy way out.

“That’s not good enough. It’s awful. I couldn’t believe what I was listening to. I’m not going to mention any names and I’m not going to mention the game.

“But that kind of language makes me feel that the people operating VAR are obviously not feeling the atmosphere because they are not at the ground.”

“Referees now have this safety net ‘it doesn’t matter what I say or do’ someone else will tell me if I’ve got it right or I’ve got it wrong and that example I have given? That can’t be right.”

VAR has come under fire on several occasions since it was introduced to the Scottish Premiership at the end of last year.

Last week, Kilmarnock manager Derek McInnes said that he believed referees were leaving key decisions to be made by VAR officials when the system is only meant to be used to correct “clear and obvious errors”.

Specific decisions across a number of games have caused controversy over the last month with several managers speaking out.

On Tuesday Scottish FA chief executive Ian Maxwell accepted there have been “teething problems” for VAR but insists the governing body is working hard to improve the system.

Sky have been approached for a comment.
How surprising

Kinda mad how we went from a very well officiated 2018 world cup finals with the use of VAR (imo) to the absolute shit show we have right now in pretty much every league.

I was unsure about it at first, that world cup actually got me on board with it, but it actually does need to be binned now and as soon as possible, checks for foul/dangerous play and offside might be ok keep, but the rest of the checks need to be binned imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.