VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
We now know FIFA was corrupt, UEFA was corrupt, Juventus were corrupt, Italian referees were corrupt, Barca and the head of the referees was corrupt. But apparently it couldn't happen in the Premier League.

It's a billion pound business with no independent oversight and you wonder why they pushed back against the government proposal to bring one in!

With immediate effect, the discussion between the referee and VAR official has to be made available to the broadcast companies. They don't need to play it live if they're worried about language, so they'll have time to bleep stuff out if they need to but we need to hear why things like that penalty on Mitomo or the shirt pull on Dunk are not deemed clear and obvious, yet the 'handball' against McAllister when it hit his hip is

When have we been on the right end of a vital VAR decision?..this season alone we’ve had extremely dodgy decisions go against us at OT,Anfield,St James’park and The Emirates. All just incompetence of course. Add to that the forensic analysis of every goal we score in comparison to the instantaneous decisions for goals at OT and Anfield. Sterling’s winner in the last minute against Southampton last season took 3 minutes to rule out. Sterling’s goal v Liverpool when the ball had clearly left De Bruyne’s foot in the replay. It’s just another way to manipulate games in certain teams favour. We are refereed and treated completely differently to red tops. Dias booked for waking up to the ref as they implemented a “new rule” that lasted until our game finished. It’s never been any other way since we had the temerity to challenge the elite. We should all be used to it now but it feels to me it’s getting worse. As for that Spurs game yesterday..wow…even after City had won I was still fuming. The whole system is in place to protect certain clubs.

VAR is shit. Shit if you're in the stand and you don't know what's going on or whether to celebrate a goal or not. Shit if you're playing for the same reason. Shit if you're watching from your armchair because it's so inconsistent. Shit that it's so up for misuse, eg. The milli-second where they decide when the ball has left the foot for offside lines. Shit because you can't hear the discussion. The only good thing about current VAR is that football has always been a game of discussion points, incorrect decisions etc, It's the banter we have at work, with mates etc. It's our soap opera.We still get that but the discussions changed. VAR used properly would have stopped a lot of that.
In short, it's shit, just get rid.
Okay lets take four offside decisions in the first half of the liverpool game, first liverpools goal the line drawn was before the player had kicked the ball should the lines man have flagged, no it was tight and he is not supposed to guess, should VAR have ruled offside, no, clear and obvious, we simply do not need it for tight decisions, KDB`s offside he is off initially but after the deflection another is playing him on, should the linesman flagged no it is tight, VAR did not intervene , twice more liverpool players were offside, should the linesman flag, yes they were well off, should VAR intervene yes,, they should have pointed out this failure that wasted nearly three minutes.
Clear and obvious does not slow a game down misuse does.

I'm a VAR supporter, but I'm not a supporter of a system that allows refs to drop bollocks and have their mates saying it's OK because they weren't dropped from a sufficient height.
VAR was introduced to overturn "clear and obvious errors" but it's being used to support such errors as the refs don't like being held to account. - Atwell didn't even go to the monitor at the swamp in January.
Alty Taylor had a crystal clear view of a penalty incident when we played at West Ham last season yet he ignored it. He only changed his mind when viewing the monitor which showed it was a "clear and obvious error" from every angle.
There's nothing wrong with the concept of VAR, but the implementation is incompetent and/or corrupt. I hate the idea of spending so much time, money and effort on a corrupt sport, but many VAR decisions suggest I am.
Bang on.. It’s not personal, VAR should correct any wrong decision by a referee, that’s the whole point

The point is the same people using VAR are the same people Refereeing the game, VAR is great if used properly, we are all here moaning because it is not being used properly.
I agree with that which means you have to make it totally independent for it to work. No cosy cartel, jobs for your mates etc. Scrap it or make it totally independent.

Just watched the Spud's game back in the cold light of day. It couldn't look any more bent if they'd tried.

That was essentially a massive 'fuck you, we'll do what we like' from the PiGMOL & PL.
And because Brighton's manager had the audacity to question the ref's decisions he's landed himself in hot water.

Pigmol is staggeringly inept, and yet it continues uninterrupted, wreaking havoc on our sport.

I'm a VAR supporter, but I'm not a supporter of a system that allows refs to drop bollocks and have their mates saying it's OK because they weren't dropped from a sufficient height.
VAR was introduced to overturn "clear and obvious errors" but it's being used to support such errors as the refs don't like being held to account. - Atwell didn't even go to the monitor at the swamp in January.
Alty Taylor had a crystal clear view of a penalty incident when we played at West Ham last season yet he ignored it. He only changed his mind when viewing the monitor which showed it was a "clear and obvious error" from every angle.
There's nothing wrong with the concept of VAR, but the implementation is incompetent and/or corrupt. I hate the idea of spending so much time, money and effort on a corrupt sport, but many VAR decisions suggest I am.
I don’t separate the tech from the people mate. Thats why it is called “video assistant referee”. It’s an absolute shambles as you say. And I’m not convinced the tech is there yet either tbh, especially on offside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.