VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just throwing this out there, but is there absolutely nothing any independent body can do regarding how it is so obviously bent?
We pay our money to watch a sport in which, to all intents and purposes, the result is down to the whim of the ref. And whatever outcome that referee decides, nobody must ever question it. If he says black is white you either agree or you face a hefty fine for daring to question his integrity.

I am sick to death of seeing the words 'controversial, VAR, referees, and pigmol' when I read a match report.

Controversy seems to follow ever single Premiership game, and despite the multitude of cameras, HD televisions and endless replays, the result will depend entirely upon who is flavour of the month for the ref.

We might just as well abandon the whole sport of football if this continues.

I'm just throwing this out there, but is there absolutely nothing any independent body can do regarding how it is so obviously bent?
We pay our money to watch a sport in which, to all intents and purposes, the result is down to the whim of the ref. And whatever outcome that referee decides, nobody must ever question it. If he says black is white you either agree or you face a hefty fine for daring to question his integrity.

I am sick to death of seeing the words 'controversial, VAR, referees, and pigmol' when I read a match report.

Controversy seems to follow ever single Premiership game, and despite the multitude of cameras, HD televisions and endless replays, the result will depend entirely upon who is flavour of the month for the ref.

We might just as well abandon the whole sport of football if this continues.

It’s where you divine controversy & corruption

Personally, I don’t think there will ever be any form of officiating that will remove the skepticism of corruption- even if refs dramatically improved, even if VAR dramatically improved - will only take a couple of awful decisions in a big game and people will question the integrity of the sport again

It’s where you divine controversy & corruption

Personally, I don’t think there will ever be any form of officiating that will remove the skepticism of corruption- even if refs dramatically improved, even if VAR dramatically improved - will only take a couple of awful decisions in a big game and people will question the integrity of the sport again
The only logical conclusion to draw at this stage is that money is influencing football matches.

I think that's pretty much the problem, rather than VAR - it's the expectations.

There would almost certainly have been a lot more incorrect penalty/goal decisions before VAR, but when a lot of decisions are 60/40 or even 50/50, there are always going to be arguments.

The problem is that fans thought VAR would award their team every close decision, and the "correct" ones are usually the ones that go in the favour of their own team. So, VAR still leaves a lot of fans unhappy. PGMOL responds to the pressure, and starts leaving it more to the ref, but of course the refs are going to make mistakes, or have VAR in their head and so don't give those close decisions, and the pressure comes in the opposite direction of "why didn't VAR intervene". So PGMOL start overturning decisions, and we get accusations that matches are being re-refereed, and VAR makes a mistake, and we get the pressure to go the other way again.

Ultimately our expectations of a system, where humans are still making subjective decisions, is way too high.

With stuff like this you go back to first principles. VAR was thought helpful in terms of being a tool for on-field referees to make better decisions. The VAR room, Stockley Park, all that guff are not needed for that. Instead you let the ref and his team ref the game and if he is unsure about anything he goes to the screen and a video operator shows him any angles he wants to check his decision. We hear him explain that. It need be no more complex than that really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.