VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw the highlights of the Liverpool-Spurs match…

Jota shouldn’t have been on the pitch to score the winner.

Absolutely scandalous he was only given a yellow for clearly sticking his boot above his shoulders in to the Spurs player’s face (which he could see all the way).

bc750be7-5541-44af-b105-4860f9ee29e4-jpeg.77233
100% a straight red that.

Never understood the logic behind this ‘backing up your mate’ argument. If I’m a ref who’s dropped a bollock, I absolutely want my mate to tell me I’ve dropped a bollock. We get the decision right and by the next day everyone has forgotten it even happened.

Or he backs up my decision, even though he knows it’s a big mistake. And for the next week, month, even years, we’re both getting called out for fucking up.

Hating the time limit idea aswell. Put a man under strict time restraints in any situation you like and the chance of him making a mistake increase significantly.
And then we have a situation like in the Bundesliga where a ref took over 7 minutes to review if it was in the box or not.

We are currently in the situation where the minute the VAR official tells the ref to have a look we know he is going to change his mind. System is goosed

Never understood the logic behind this ‘backing up your mate’ argument. If I’m a ref who’s dropped a bollock, I absolutely want my mate to tell me I’ve dropped a bollock. We get the decision right and by the next day everyone has forgotten it even happened.

Or he backs up my decision, even though he knows it’s a big mistake. And for the next week, month, even years, we’re both getting called out for fucking up.

You are forgetting a third possibility. He backs up your dropped bollock decision and, by the next day, everyone has forgotten it even happened.

Just saw the highlights of the Liverpool-Spurs match…

Jota shouldn’t have been on the pitch to score the winner.

Absolutely scandalous he was only given a yellow for clearly sticking his boot above his shoulders in to the Spurs player’s face (which he could see all the way).

bc750be7-5541-44af-b105-4860f9ee29e4-jpeg.77233
Plus the laughable non penalty decision on Richarlison and he still moaned about the ref

And then we have a situation like in the Bundesliga where a ref took over 7 minutes to review if it was in the box or not.

We are currently in the situation where the minute the VAR official tells the ref to have a look we know he is going to change his mind. System is goosed

Given a choice of an exceptionally rare review that takes that length of time and VARs regularly rushing decisions and getting them wrong due to time restraints, I’d go for the first option.

I’m constantly hearing that the majority of people only want the VAR getting involved when the referee has made a major cock up. So is it a bad thing that they aren’t getting involved in subjective calls that referees disagree with on closer inspection? That’s what most people want isn’t it?

I’m constantly hearing that the majority of people only want the VAR getting involved when the referee has made a major cock up. So is it a bad thing that they aren’t getting involved in subjective calls that referees disagree with on closer inspection? That’s what most people want isn’t it?

The question is if you want VAR to leave the officials on the pitch to do their stuff, and only correct clear mistakes like a two metre offside, a deliberate handball goal or a ball clearly over the goal line, or is it about getting as many decisions as right and as consistent as possible using video technology.

Which is it?

The question is if you want VAR to leave the officials on the pitch to do their stuff, and only correct clear mistakes like a two metre offside, a deliberate handball goal or a ball clearly over the goal line, or is it about getting as many decisions as right and as consistent as possible using video technology.

Which is it?

Depends who you ask I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.