VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read the rules
Basically VAR review is allowed for possible red card, and the fact that the ref gave a free kick to them meant that he had made a clear and obvious error
So VAR should have said to the ref - this is a "possible" red card (it HAS to be a possible red card for violent conduct), you clearly did not see it as you gave the free kick the wrong way, so come and take another look.

The ref should then decide that as it is Rags and us it is not a red card.
But it is his job to do that and not VAR's

(And then they still get the free kick, because he'll stay with the original decision, but he might feel a bit bad about it.)
This is where the system falls down though. Clear and obvious is a get out clause along with when VAR can intervene.

“You made a clear and obvious error. There was no foul by Akanji but there was a definite foul by Casemiro. I have reviewed the footage and I don’t believe that it is enough to send Casemiro off. Please have a look and decide if you made the correct on field decision.” which should happen, but doesn’t.

“I can understand why you would think that Wan Bisaka did not foul De Bruyne in the box there and even though footage shows that a foul occurred and a penalty should be awarded, it is not clear and obvious to you on the field, therefore it is safe to stand by your original decision”. Which shouldn’t happen but does.

” You missed a definite handball by Grealish. Even although he had no opportunity to move his hand away from its position as the ball struck his hand and that his eyes were closed and he had no fucking idea what was going on, I believe his hands were in an unnatural position and according to the current rules it is a penalty. Please take a look at the monitor and I will show you the only camera angle where you can’t see that his eyes are closed” Which is what happened but shouldn’t.

Total fucking farce.

I am absolutely hating this media line of “It was the right decision but it’s the law that is ridiculous.”

This is some piss poor attempt to absolve the referee of culpability. It’s total bollocks. The handball guidance talks about intention and proximity. That standard is simply not met in this instance. He is about one yard away and he has no intention of blocking the ball as he’s facing the other way. Every person with two eyes and a brain cell can see that.

Stop using the rulebook as an out. To give that as a penalty is simply the product of bad refereeing. They are not applying the guidance correctly because they don’t know how to take an advisory framework of guidance and apply it more generally using common sense… which leads to absolutely absurd decisions like this. You can tweak the rule book all you like, you’re still gonna get the same shit because these referees are just not good at their job (whether down to incompetence or corruption is up to you). It’s that simple.

Put it this way. If he didn’t give it, is anybody going to say the ref hasn’t followed the rules? No of course they wouldn’t because there’s a million reasons why it doesn’t meet the standard of a penalty.
Absolutely spot on.

First of all VAR shouldn't advise for a review, as the arm position in the air was natural (to keep the balance) and the ball "did not travel some distance" (as the rules ask for).

In terms of physiological reaction time, how long did it travel? Half a second? A pen makes no sense.

No utd player was anywhere close to even get to that ball, so why should a team get a free shot vs the keeper?
It's absurd and destroys the integrity of the game. I've had enough in that moment and I take a bow to our lads who showed resilience to still win the FA cup.

Tierney had enough reasons to NOT give that pen AFTER his review but as usual he is a spineless coward and not up to standards to be a top ref in the most important and best financed FA in world football.

The analysis from Dale Johnson in his ‘VAR Review’ of the incidents in the FA Cup final—all going against us, funny enough—is nonsensical doublespeak.

This is circular babble meant to obfuscate the obviously bias officiating.

Really, read it, and tell me what it is even saying. I have read it three times and I genuinely have no idea, other than to confuse the reader in to shrugging and accepting being gaslit in to believing nothing untoward occurred by three major decisions going against one club in a cup final.

I am sure Gallagher and Webb will rival Laurel and Hardy in their explanations of the incidents, as well.

The analysis from Dale Johnson in his ‘VAR Review’ of the incidents in the FA Cup final—all going against us, funny enough—is nonsensical doublespeak.

This is circular babble meant to obfuscate the obviously bias officiating.

Really, read it, and tell me what it is even saying. I have read it three times and I genuinely have no idea, other than to confuse the reader in to shrugging and accepting being gaslit in to believing nothing untoward occurred by three major decisions going against one club in a cup final.

I am sure Gallagher and Webb will rival Laurel and Hardy in their explanations of the incidents, as well.

ESPN is specifically targeted to the red clubs. It's the fox news of sports.

Var is garbage, for the game, for the fun, for the joy and particular for us - the equality. No one will ever convince me it's made the modern game better. If you think it's created fairness then I've got some fucking magic beans to sell you.

How the fuck can that be given in favour of Casimeiro ?
Said the same thing at the time. It’s a joke.

The non penalty on KDB was also a shocker. Compare to the one that United got at our place earlier in the year, any one that Salah gets, Arsenals against us at their place. Way more of a foul on KDB, but not given and not overturned.

Shouldn’t be surprised though, The non-award of a penalty against Everton when Pickford committed assault in the box is as clear a foul as you’re likely to see. We are reffed differently.

It was a penalty, even though it was way harsh. Ive always believed handballs like that should be a freekick inside the box. City were not under duress and Wan Bissaka's header was not threatening, but it was blocked by Grealish hand so according to the rules its a penalty.

The whole rule needs ot be changed, a penalty for a handball like that is too extreme. Make handballs like that a freekick inside the box. United would have got a chance to blast the ball toward goal at close range, but it would have been harder to score than from the spot

If VAR was doing the job it was brought in to do then:
  • The Rag penalty would not have been given.
  • De Bruyne would have got a penalty.
  • Casemiro would have got a straight red.
Will we get a written apology from HW, I very much doubt it.

VAR is not fit for purpose.

P.S. - Correcting clear and obvious errors is it? IS IT FUCK.

Last edited:
Today just underlined what a failure it is. If you are giving Jack's handball then you need to give the Wan Bissaka one (neither for me, this "LOTG" is ruining it). And then the Casiemero incidents. No excuse not to get those right
M’Lord I give you a Lindelof (at WestHam) of a non penalty decision
Grade A Cunts, the lot of them
Peps right, we do everything ourselves without outside ‘help’

Clear and obvious is irrelevant. The VAR isn’t there to correct incorrect free kick calls or give yellow cards.

His two choices were advise a review for a red card or stick with the onfield decision.

Here we go. This is why it is bollocks.

PGMOLs excuses lined up:

Casemiro challenge wasn't a clear and obvious red (I thought the referees made those decisions?) so they couldn't intervene by recommending a yellow or changing the free-kick.

Grealish penalty was correct by the letter of the law (it wasn't) but the law may be changed next year.

de Bruyne penalty was a coming together.(no it wasn't), not enough in it to change the referee's decision (yes there was). Wouldn't have been overturned if the referee had given it.

Did I miss anything? Waiting for Dale Johnson at ESPN to confirm.

It's easy, this gaslighting lark.. and people on here fall for it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.