VE DAY

You must be so proud of your dad,it has got me today as well,it has been a good reminder of what a real war and hard times really is and it is not being asked to stay in our comfy homes
I'm not a tattoo fan and one evening I asked dad if he regretted ever having a tattoo on his forearm
He was , like so many veterans, not one for war stories, but he opened up and told me that tats were encouraged when you enlisted as if you got your head blown off and your dog tags went with it, you had identifying marks
I thought that was the end, but he continued, he and two mates, when on leave in India had the same bluebird tattoo on their forearms
A couple of weeks later, they were back on ops in Burma and a patrol had been lost in the jungle
He was sent with a team to find this lost patrol and eventually they found them all dead and it included his two mates with the same tattoo

My Dad was based in Burma around VE Day then was posted away to flush out the Japanese who were still around on various islands
Hope they do something on August 16 VJ Day

Your dad is a good man and a brave one. Because of men like him I have the freedom to post shit on forums like this.

God bless him and all his comrades.

Let's hope they do.
My grandad was a Chindit in Burma too.
When I was a young recruit the Regiment I was with did a Chindidts parade, the saluting officer was Prince Charles it was a sight to behold as they all marched on the parade square from everywhere as they were called onto parade, an amazing sight as a young 16 year old. I did a little digging and was in awe what they went through, an amazing bunch of brave soldiers who were treated like vermin.

I think it is altogether correct to recognise the heroism that our fathers, mothers and grandparents. Displayed as well as the contribution from other nations in defeating Nazi fascism.

I think it is completely wrong and altogether sinister to liken that struggle to our challenges at present. Something I have seen the BBC do repeatedly. We are not at war and our health workers are not brave soldiers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.