VE DAY

I'm not a tattoo fan and one evening I asked dad if he regretted ever having a tattoo on his forearm
He was , like so many veterans, not one for war stories, but he opened up and told me that tats were encouraged when you enlisted as if you got your head blown off and your dog tags went with it, you had identifying marks
I thought that was the end, but he continued, he and two mates, when on leave in India had the same bluebird tattoo on their forearms
A couple of weeks later, they were back on ops in Burma and a patrol had been lost in the jungle
He was sent with a team to find this lost patrol and eventually they found them all dead and it included his two mates with the same tattoo
Wow,it makes sense when you think about it
Not the same kind of war by any stretch but the first Mr k was in the falklands,when he came back he wouldn't tell me anything about it,just went off the rails along with many others,something he regrets now and now we are back in touch he talks about it often,it must be a massive shock to the system ,living on every last nerve,difficult to process i am sure and maybe why many of don't open up until they get near the end of their lives or in the modern wars much later on

Guinness-Original-new-look.jpg.cf.jpg

I rediscovered this yesterday in my bid to find a suitable tipple to raise a glass with. What a wonderful drop. It's not going to be easy trying to walk past these on my next shop.

Is that what it was? I was certain it was VE Day 1995.

https://www.nwemail.co.uk/features/...ames-furness-marked-50-year-anniversary-1995/

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/heritage-and-retro/heritage/how-50th-anniversary-celebration-ve-day-was-biggest-party-britain-end-second-world-war-2841509?amp

I’m almost certain VE Day was what we had street parties for as I remember having just turned 13 just before it. and it was street parties on every street round my way.

Also here’s BBC1 from that day:
https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1995-05-08

apart from Neighbours, it was all VE Day or War related from morning ‘til midnight.

i always make a point of avoiding shite like that.
Yesterday too.
Had a sherbert on the lawn outside with neighbours either side for half an hour but I avoided any of the crap televised all night.
I managed to keep up my proud record of never having heard a queen’s speech in my life.

i always make a point of avoiding shite like that.
Yesterday too.
Had a sherbert on the lawn outside with neighbours either side for half an hour but I avoided any of the crap televised all night.
I managed to keep up my proud record of never having heard a queen’s speech in my life.
Must be fun being you.

So negative to people showing respect.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.