Vet Fees

How many are suffering because people can’t afford vets bills,really upsets me how they can get away with it

A lot of veterinary practices have been bought out by private equity companies, turned into chains and are now trying to maximise profits before selling them on.

Spot on. You pay insurance for years and every time you make a claim they write to you to exclude that condition /body part from future claims. You eventually end up with an old animal that's understandably needing the vet more, still paying insurance, but nothing is covered.
Is this true? That is honestly staggering. I’m trying to find the sense in it other than blatant thievery. That’s actually pissed me off. Imagine your dog gets arthritis, are you supposed to wait until it gets it in all it’s joints before you take it in for treatment?

A lot of veterinary practices have been bought out by private equity companies, turned into chains and are now trying to maximise profits before selling them on.
Absolutely the case with mine - told what to charge.

Is this true? That is honestly staggering. I’m trying to find the sense in it other than blatant thievery. That’s actually pissed me off. Imagine your dog gets arthritis, are you supposed to wait until it gets it in all it’s joints before you take it in for treatment?
Not sure if some are better than others. Admittedly I went with e&l which were cheap - possibly you get what you pay for and petplan or the big supermarket schemes which cost more might be better. You also generally pay up front and reclaim from the insurer yourself minus various 'admin' fees and an excess.

Hahaha.
She's an english mastiff/ St.Bernard cross mate...average weight for her.

Look for pics of a saint bermastiff. One of images that comes back on google is her mum and she's the spitting image of her.
Love mastiffs, my wife's a groomer so I see a lot of dogs but they are the soppiest simpletons of them all, which is great. Didn't realise they were that heavy though as I've had to lift a lit of them onto the table or into the bath, I must be stronger than I thought

This week, I have been charged £920 by my vet for an x-ray. The explanation I was offered was that she was a larger dog and that she needed hospitalisation. Now, both of those explanations don't ring true - she weighs 30kg so less than a Labrador, for example, and the hospitalisation meant just staying in the vet from morning until evening, as is normal for an x-ray. This led to me looking into the issue and finding that in the last five years, many practices have increased their fees by upto 5x. As a consequence, I started a petition for a regulatory body in the industry. If you also think this is an issue, I would be grateful if you would sign and share my petition:

100% right, done

This week, I have been charged £920 by my vet for an x-ray. The explanation I was offered was that she was a larger dog and that she needed hospitalisation. Now, both of those explanations don't ring true - she weighs 30kg so less than a Labrador, for example, and the hospitalisation meant just staying in the vet from morning until evening, as is normal for an x-ray. This led to me looking into the issue and finding that in the last five years, many practices have increased their fees by upto 5x. As a consequence, I started a petition for a regulatory body in the industry. If you also think this is an issue, I would be grateful if you would sign and share my petition:

Robbing bastards, I know they have costs but just like when I get a tradesman to quote for a job I always ask for a breakdown. Cost of materials, overheads per day (van, fuel, insurance, accountancy fees, holiday pay, pension, sickness, etc) and finally labour. I work on a tradesman getting about £250 per day including overheads. I know it's far more difficult with Vets fees but it's worth asking how they got to that figure.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.