Vet Fees

Which is also a swizz. How can it be right that there are two differing approaches to treatment depending on if you have it or not? And once that issue is treated once on insurance, you arent covered for it again anyway. Racket. I take a very pragmatic approach to it all and am very honest with my vet. Ive told them I think its a total racket and its like they know I have worked it out.
Never had any of my dogs insured and despite one of em having major surgery i reckon i'm still 'in credit' for the last 20 years.

Robbing bastards, I know they have costs but just like when I get a tradesman to quote for a job I always ask for a breakdown. Cost of materials, overheads per day (van, fuel, insurance, accountancy fees, holiday pay, pension, sickness, etc) and finally labour. I work on a tradesman getting about £250 per day including overheads. I know it's far more difficult with Vets fees but it's worth asking how they got to that figure.

I was given a detailed breakdown but the vet told me directly that they are told what to charge by their owning company. She told me that an X-ray in Spain (her home country) was approximately £50. I was charged £920.

Since I shared this, the scale of the problem has really come to light. Some vets are so embarrassed by what their owning companies are charging that they are even willing to share prescription information so that clients can buy products independently. We are talking, in some cases, of £70 being charged for painkillers that are freely available for less than £5. Insurance companies are given information by the vets who make the claim and that claim then becomes an uninsured, pre-existing condition, so that owners continue to pay for less and less cover while vet fees soar.

Had to have one of ours put to sleep in Feb.

He was 14. Had an x-ray to check a few things. He was in heart failure so did the right thing so he wasn't suffering.

On completion we were presented with a bill for £800. Thieving bastards.

same with our dog a few years ago. She wasn’t well and we spent close to £1000 finding out what was up with her before we made any decision . This was scans, blood tests etc. In the end she had given up so we had to make the awful decision to put her to sleep

then the vets asked how we wanted her cremated? Either thrown in with a load of others or a private one. Obviously the private one was a lot more expensive and they know you would go for that option when you are in such a state.

same with our dog a few years ago. She wasn’t well and we spent close to £1000 finding out what was up with her before we made any decision . This was scans, blood tests etc. In the end she had given up so we had to make the awful decision to put her to sleep

then the vets asked how we wanted her cremated? Either thrown in with a load of others or a private one. Obviously the private one was a lot more expensive and they know you would go for that option when you are in such a state.

Incredibly sad. Yeah, we had the same thing, and as you say, you go for the expensive option as you want your mate's ashes at home and in a nice urn.

Is this true? That is honestly staggering. I’m trying to find the sense in it other than blatant thievery. That’s actually pissed me off. Imagine your dog gets arthritis, are you supposed to wait until it gets it in all it’s joints before you take it in for treatment?
It is indeed true. Makes no sense to me, pet insurance is a swizz and vets are culpable in it

I was given a detailed breakdown but the vet told me directly that they are told what to charge by their owning company. She told me that an X-ray in Spain (her home country) was approximately £50. I was charged £920.

Since I shared this, the scale of the problem has really come to light. Some vets are so embarrassed by what their owning companies are charging that they are even willing to share prescription information so that clients can buy products independently. We are talking, in some cases, of £70 being charged for painkillers that are freely available for less than £5. Insurance companies are given information by the vets who make the claim and that claim then becomes an uninsured, pre-existing condition, so that owners continue to pay for less and less cover while vet fees soar.
Scandalous and as the cycle keeps turning the vets fees increase along with Insurance premiums which will ultimately lead to more fraudulent claims. My mate has a Jack Russell about 12 years old, he pays more for his dogs insurance (£70 a month) than he does for his own life cover.

I have great admiration for most vets....up to a point. We had a labrador and clearly he wasn't well so we took him to the vets.....They wanted to test this, test that, run a few more tests, keep him in for obs etc etc.
" How much will this cost " I enquired
" Dont worry about it, the insurance will pay "
" Erm.....he's not insured "
" OK, take him home and keep your eye on him for a couple of weeks...."

" NEXT "

I have great admiration for most vets....up to a point. We had a labrador and clearly he wasn't well so we took him to the vets.....They wanted to test this, test that, run a few more tests, keep him in for obs etc etc.
" How much will this cost " I enquired
" Dont worry about it, the insurance will pay "
" Erm.....he's not insured "
" OK, take him home and keep your eye on him for a couple of weeks...."

" NEXT "
Thats my point and the exact same thing happened to me. Dog was right as rain with a couple of tablets to stop him being sick. When they thought he was insured they were going to send him to the Priory Clinic, and charge me the excess while the policy then strikes off any gut problems, which dogs get more than anything else on the planet cos they lick piss off month old kebabs left in soot covered gutters

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.