Video reffing approved for France-Spain tomorrow

So unless there is a 100% reduction then nothing should be done to reduce incorrect decisions where possible?

That's a rather strange premise.
It would be if that is what I was postulating. I'm saying there has to be a balance between the pursuit of correct decision making and the flow of the game. I don't believe the former should override the latter at all costs. Do you think it should?

You'd be better placed to comment had you watched the game yesterday.

Two correct calls. 50 seconds combined. Totally changes the game from 1-1 to the correct score 2-0.

And your sentence is bunkum. It's like saying "We will never stop all fatalities on the road so there's no point having speed limits or seat belts."
It's not like that at all. Where have I used a definitive word like "will" or "never" in the sentence to which you refer. I made a statement of opinion (the words "speaking personally" should have provided a clue) rather than an assertion of absolute truth.

You'll have to do better than that, sweet cheeks.

a step in the right direction for sure

there will be alot of hiccups, there will still be cries of 'corruption!' everytime there is a wrong decision but there will still be more correct than wrong which can only be a good thing

At last! There are no grey areas with offside, you either are or you are not and therefore this system should be in place sooner rather than later. Awarding penalties or not is trickier but this is a step in the right direction. It takes no time at all and the game has had a natural break as the ball is in the back of the net.

I could not disagree more

and that's fine.

The introduction of video reffing to the premier league is as certain as day follows night and that is the fact that fans with my sort of romanticised opinion of the game have to accept.

Where my opinion has been challenged, and undermined, is the goal line tech which is very fast and unobtrusive and straightens out something which is game changing - a goal. So why should i be happy for offsides/penalties etc to remain in the realms of on-pitch subjectivity (let's not forget video refs are still subjective but with more time and scrutiny) and yet happily accept goal line tech.

That's where anti-tech supporters such as myself dont have any concrete arguments as such, beyond romantic notions of the game from a year that has, frankly, gone. But i'll stick to my vision of a game that is played with a fluidity in both actions and decisions.

The one thing I think all parties need to consider is how to stop willful disruption of a game. E.g. player gets 'fouled' in box (was clearly not) and team break at lightning speed. Manager decides to challenge missed penalty call as other team are romping towards the other end with a 5 on 2 situation. How do you pick out cynical decisions? or do you only employ video tech when there's a stoppage? this is a tricky situation.

It's not like that at all. Where have I used a definitive word like "will" or "never" in the sentence to which you refer. I made a statement of opinion (the words "speaking personally" should have provided a clue) rather than an assertion of absolute truth.

You'll have to do better than that, sweet cheeks.
Of course you're speaking personally. That's a given. You'd rather not implement technology for three reasons; you don't wish to break up the flow of a game (which is funny as substations take longer), you don't believe it will stop ALL incorrect decisions and you're an old Luddite with regards the subject.

You can try and play on semantics and the like all you wish but the above summarises your argument.

and that's fine.

The introduction of video reffing to the premier league is as certain as day follows night and that is the fact that fans with my sort of romanticised opinion of the game have to accept.

Where my opinion has been challenged, and undermined, is the goal line tech which is very fast and unobtrusive and straightens out something which is game changing - a goal. So why should i be happy for offsides/penalties etc to remain in the realms of on-pitch subjectivity (let's not forget video refs are still subjective but with more time and scrutiny) and yet happily accept goal line tech.

That's where anti-tech supporters such as myself dont have any concrete arguments as such, beyond romantic notions of the game from a year that has, frankly, gone. But i'll stick to my vision of a game that is played with a fluidity in both actions and decisions.

The one thing I think all parties need to consider is how to stop willful disruption of a game. E.g. player gets 'fouled' in box (was clearly not) and team break at lightning speed. Manager decides to challenge missed penalty call as other team are romping towards the other end with a 5 on 2 situation. How do you pick out cynical decisions? or do you only employ video tech when there's a stoppage? this is a tricky situation.

Is an 'appeal' on the table? As far as I know, the game just carries on until the 'man in the van' spots something

Going off yesterday, it worked perfectly. I'm all for it. Like I posted earlier, I would rather the result of a match be a reflection of the game and end a little later(not that I think it would)

Not quite with Rojo. The ref gave him a yellow both times so it wasn't even referred to the panel.

But the beauty of the video ref would be that it would be looked at AGAIN, in slo-mo, and then decided upon, rather than the ref having a quick shufty at the crest on the shirt and matching it with the same colour card, rather than the card that matches the shirt! No cards issued before the video is given - IS THERE ANY REASON WHY I SHOULDN'T SEND OFF THIS RAG BASTARD? Video reffing will become a thing of the utmost wonder! We'll be forever wondering why we haven't had it for twenty years.

Of course you're speaking personally. That's a given. You'd rather not implement technology for three reasons; you don't wish to break up the flow of a game (which is funny as substations take longer), you don't believe it will stop ALL incorrect decisions and you're an old Luddite with regards the subject.

You can try and play on semantics and the like all you wish but the above summarises your argument.
My argument is that I'm an old Luddite?

But the beauty of the video ref would be that it would be looked at AGAIN, in slo-mo, and then decided upon, rather than the ref having a quick shufty at the crest on the shirt and matching it with the same colour card, rather than the card that matches the shirt! No cards issued before the video is given - IS THERE ANY REASON WHY I SHOULDN'T SEND OFF THIS RAG BASTARD? Video reffing will become a thing of the utmost wonder! We'll be forever wondering why we haven't had it for twenty years.
Absolutely. They would have had a minimum of three more players sent off than the one they've currently had. And lost a shit load of goals. What's not to love?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.