Video Technology

TheBlueDune said:
Borrow an idea from NFL where they use a flag - a coloured cloth with a weight. Flag thrown in NFL by judge / umpire / ref so not exactly the same.
Manager could have one flag per half to call for video appeal.
Penalty not given? Manager throws the flag within say 1 or 2 seconds and tells fourth official why. Fourth official tells ref on headset. Next break in play ref calls for video review telling video ref how he saw it and video ref makes the call.
Win the appeal and keep the challenge.
Lose it and lose the challenge.
Wouldn't get artificial break in play and game would still flow.
Would get fewer cockups like sending wrong player off and missing basketball handballs.
God that would get annoying just like it does in the NFL

moon said:
How long would the game have been delayed last night checking Palace's first goal
They were still unsure 20 or so minutes after the game ended

To be honest I'd rather not be shafted (however you look at this season we've had the shit end of the stick again) and the game last 3 hours.

I'd also like to see the 'match time' stop when the ball isn't in play it's criminal how much time is wasted particularly by visiting keepers only for the ref to wave at them after 10 incidents and then add on fuck all time.

This subject has reared its head for nigh on 6 years, started by myself, stolen from for an M.E.N. article and has since has mooted along the lines of what I was talking about ever since in the football world.

In my original post, I said 2 'challenges' for 'major' incidents, of which there are many in a game, which can be used by Cap or manager(sometimes there are off-the-ball incidents unseen when play is happening).

'Dark 'n' stormy' merely echoes my post from many moons ago without the manager option.

People seem to think objections will happen to throw ins and petty free kicks, but that's nonsense if you set out the rules in the beginning. The application actually makes the ref a better ref, which is what we all want.

This is not too far off now and as I said to my original nemesis on the subject, 'CBlue', this is like a snowball and too much money is being lost because of wrong decisions.

Football needs to catch up to technology and will STILL have its pub discussions and controversy, but for the right reasons.

dark 'n stormy said:
moon said:
How long would the game have been delayed last night checking Palace's first goal

The game would only be delayed seconds. Last night the offside could have been called either way but within seconds, the handball would have been given.

The offside wasn't clear so who would get the advantage even with all skys cameras they weren't sure

moon said:
dark 'n stormy said:
moon said:

The game would only be delayed seconds. Last night the offside could have been called either way but within seconds, the handball would have been given.

The offside wasn't clear so who would get the advantage even with all skys cameras they weren't sure

As you say, it wasn't clear so tha 'arbitrator' makes a call and we go with that. Most incidents are clear. It's not 100 % but IMO it would be far better than what we have now.

I'm a believer in the rub of the green decisions that are supposed even everything out. But these days with the amount of money being invested in clubs, a certain amount of professionalism is required to ensure that that the rules of the game ensure the right decisions.
So a simple audit procedure, such as they have in rugby and adjusted for football would, in my opinion be the way forward.
This, however, would not suit the G14 group of corrupt bastards.

simple for me, 2 challenges each team, can be used for penalty appeals, mistaken identity, red card decisions, either if play has been stopped, or gone out of play, if the ball is in play and they want to challenge, the team appealing has to kick the ball out of play.

The 4th Official gets the review, he's given 60 seconds to look at the angles to decide, and if he can't decide within 60 seconds that the referee's decision can be clearly overturned, then the decision remains on-field.

the-ecstacy-of-eight said:
So, in light of "several" blatantly wrong decisions that have cost us, and other clubs, points and wrongful suspensions for innocent players this season, the need for the use of video technology seems, to my mind, to be overwhelming. The problem obviously isn't that the technology needs to be developed, as it is clearly out there already, the only issue as far as I am concerned is WHEN should it be used? Clearly (?) it can't be used for ALL decisions, due to football not being a "stop-start" sport, but could its use be introduced initially and limited for certain "match changing" cases such as red card decisions and for ALL goals, or could it?

If I'm honest I'm undecided, as for me, it's pretty much an all or nothing thing as ALL in match decisions have a sort of knock on effect during the game. ie - A wrongly given offside/onside decision leads to a save, which leads to a corner, which leads to a goal....etc.

And in my mind the referee on the pitch needs to still be in control and not replaced by a TV monitor watching off-field ref who makes all the decisions and relays them to the on field "puppet".

It's a tricky one.

Would the us of technology open up a huge can of worms or could it be workable? Thoughts please.

no chance whatsoever it will be brought in.

how on earth could the refs work their magic on us if it was going to be overturned in the next 5 seconds. take the 3 pens at our place v the rags. can you imagine another 6-1 ffs. rags the world over would switch off and probably stay switched off in their droves.
not good for business.
as i say, not a chance.

de niro said:
no chance whatsoever it will be brought in.

how on earth could the refs work their magic on us if it was going to be overturned in the next 5 seconds. take the 3 pens at our place v the rags. can you imagine another 6-1 ffs. rags the world over would switch off and probably stay switched off in their droves.
not good for business.
as i say, not a chance.

So, let me get this correct, are you saying that there is some sort of plan to keep the "usual order" in place at the top? Why hasn't anybody ever mentioned this before? ;)

personally i think that a big leap forward would be that the refs and assistants are held accountable for the decisions.

as for the video tech most of the big decisions that are made the ref will try to take time over and the teams will be chasing the ref and assistants to effect the call, this is ample time for a 5th ref watching the replays from different angles to give his take on it. and if the replays are unclear then it cannot be called as the rules already state.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.