Video Technology

Bigga said:
LWasington said:
A few people have said technology for goals to check if any infringement has taken place.

My question is What type of infringement and how far back to take it? Are we only checking to see if it was offside/ handled into the goal? Or if the winger crossed it and the centre forward heads in are we checking if it went out of play?

Only asking because sometimes the ball might be in play 2-3 minutes and 50 odd passes or challenges before a goal is scored. If you say just check the final player for offside then I can maybe understand. If you take it back further to see if cross went out then you start opening a can of worms. We've all seen off-the-ball clashes a few seconds before a goal is scored where a defender ends up on the deck because he and the attacker were both running back and have collided. Do you check this? Or what happens if the ball from the back goes to the winger who seems clearly offside nothing given then 90 seconds and 50 passes later a goal is scored. Do you go back and check the offside?

I'm not against video technology but I just want to be clear what infringements we want looked at.

If the cap highlights something, like when the players highlight a handball by their reaction as soon as something happens, it gets reviewed. If a goal happens within a few secs of an 'incident' and it's wrong, the goal stands.

Like tennis, you cannot continue a passage of play and return to an earlier incident! Tennis players don't rally for 2 mins, then return to the first 30 secs for a debatable line call, that would be utterly ludicrous! The players react within a 'reasonable' frame of time, i.e., virtually straight away.

Dunno what the problem is.

If I'm not mistaken you saying if lots of players appeal for handball , it should be reviewed. What goes on in the meantime? If play goes on then whilst the video referee is reviewing it. Then by the time he's decided and we've all got to admit we've sometimes watched replies for 30 secs -1 min from 4-5 angles and still not been sure. We've all heard the co-commentator after 4 looks at what appears to be a clear dive from the final angle he's suddenly gone "Oh from that angle I'm not so sure I actually think he's clipped him!!". If play goes on meantime by the time he's decided he could have 3 or 4 more things to review. In rugby the game is stopped and the video ref reviews as in cricket.
But what if it is stopped if enough players all appeal for handball. Imagine Away team A needing a point 2-2 last minute with Team B to secure the title. Team A make an error and a Team B player chest the ball down and start breaking away towards their goal with a 4 on 3 say. Team A players are gunna all be primed with instruction from manager , captain etc to shreek "Handball!!" and insist the game is stopped. You can all imagine what team/teams I'm referring too. This blatant stopping of the game if your team faces peril will surely just replace the surrounding of the ref that we've seen highlighted in the last few weeks.

If you can take the human error element from the game the bubble will finally burst.

Football at the minute is so popular and the biggest it has ever been.. why risk changing it when it isn't broke? sure people might complain but so what?

LWasington said:
Bigga said:
LWasington said:
A few people have said technology for goals to check if any infringement has taken place.

My question is What type of infringement and how far back to take it? Are we only checking to see if it was offside/ handled into the goal? Or if the winger crossed it and the centre forward heads in are we checking if it went out of play?

Only asking because sometimes the ball might be in play 2-3 minutes and 50 odd passes or challenges before a goal is scored. If you say just check the final player for offside then I can maybe understand. If you take it back further to see if cross went out then you start opening a can of worms. We've all seen off-the-ball clashes a few seconds before a goal is scored where a defender ends up on the deck because he and the attacker were both running back and have collided. Do you check this? Or what happens if the ball from the back goes to the winger who seems clearly offside nothing given then 90 seconds and 50 passes later a goal is scored. Do you go back and check the offside?

I'm not against video technology but I just want to be clear what infringements we want looked at.

If the cap highlights something, like when the players highlight a handball by their reaction as soon as something happens, it gets reviewed. If a goal happens within a few secs of an 'incident' and it's wrong, the goal stands.

Like tennis, you cannot continue a passage of play and return to an earlier incident! Tennis players don't rally for 2 mins, then return to the first 30 secs for a debatable line call, that would be utterly ludicrous! The players react within a 'reasonable' frame of time, i.e., virtually straight away.

Dunno what the problem is.

If I'm not mistaken you saying if lots of players appeal for handball , it should be reviewed. What goes on in the meantime? If play goes on then whilst the video referee is reviewing it. Then by the time he's decided and we've all got to admit we've sometimes watched replies for 30 secs -1 min from 4-5 angles and still not been sure. We've all heard the co-commentator after 4 looks at what appears to be a clear dive from the final angle he's suddenly gone "Oh from that angle I'm not so sure I actually think he's clipped him!!". If play goes on meantime by the time he's decided he could have 3 or 4 more things to review. In rugby the game is stopped and the video ref reviews as in cricket.
But what if it is stopped if enough players all appeal for handball. Imagine Away team A needing a point 2-2 last minute with Team B to secure the title. Team A make an error and a Team B player chest the ball down and start breaking away towards their goal with a 4 on 3 say. Team A players are gunna all be primed with instruction from manager , captain etc to shreek "Handball!!" and insist the game is stopped. You can all imagine what team/teams I'm referring too. This blatant stopping of the game if your team faces peril will surely just replace the surrounding of the ref that we've seen highlighted in the last few weeks.

You're offering scenarios of a far fetched nature, whilst not understanding we are studying the basics of VT, not an implementation of it. Who knows if there will be a rule to send off the Cap for frivolous use of the system, in a situation as you suggested?

Who knows if the situation would be reset as the 4 on 3 if the appeal is lost? Maybe an indirect free kick in or outside the box depending on far play had gotten? Maybe a peno? Maybe a logical combination of a couple of the above?

Who knows what would happen there? But there would have to be sufficient deterrent in order to overcome game plans for such events.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.