Video Technology

LWasington said:
A few people have said technology for goals to check if any infringement has taken place.

My question is What type of infringement and how far back to take it? Are we only checking to see if it was offside/ handled into the goal? Or if the winger crossed it and the centre forward heads in are we checking if it went out of play?

Only asking because sometimes the ball might be in play 2-3 minutes and 50 odd passes or challenges before a goal is scored. If you say just check the final player for offside then I can maybe understand. If you take it back further to see if cross went out then you start opening a can of worms. We've all seen off-the-ball clashes a few seconds before a goal is scored where a defender ends up on the deck because he and the attacker were both running back and have collided. Do you check this? Or what happens if the ball from the back goes to the winger who seems clearly offside nothing given then 90 seconds and 50 passes later a goal is scored. Do you go back and check the offside?

I'm not against video technology but I just want to be clear what infringements we want looked at.
Its this reason why technology wouldn't work it football.

No appeals, no NFL flag system, no 3rd umpire style delay like cricket.

Just one man in a room with 5 different television angles, speaking constantly to the referee
on pitch through an ear piece.

"from up here it looks a red card so give it"

"the striker has just stamped on the keeper when you weren't looking,
go back and send him off"

"that goal was offside".

"Definite penalty when you had your back turned, give ___ a booking"

As easy as that.

In fact you don't even need them for offsides, just use technology where the referees
watch bleeps when there is an offside, just like goal line tech, do it on players boots.
The technology must be available.

Ban-jani said:

Just one man in a room with 5 different television angles, speaking constantly to the referee

"that goal was offside".

As easy as that.

In fact you don't even need them for offsides, just use technology where the referees
watch bleeps when there is an offside, just like goal line tech, do it on players boots.

In that case why not have the referee watching the game on a monitor and calling decisions out via the tannoy?!

Any one of those examples could take 30 seconds, a minute to figure out, what do you do in the mean time? Play on and bring play back on the say so of a 5th official?? Can't see that working

es1 said:
Ban-jani said:

"that goal was offside".

As easy as that.

In that case why not have the referee watching the game on a monitor and calling decisions out via the tannoy?!

Any one of those examples could take 30 seconds, a minute to figure out, what do you do in the mean time? Play on and bring play back on the say so of a 5th official?? Can't see that working

You need some to instruct players on the field face to face and generally manage the game.

A referee over a tannoy is ridiculous, the bloke who does the tannoy speaks about 5 times
all day and that's irritating enough.

No you can normally see instantly, and you get delays anyway like our game vs Newcastle
when the referee consulted the linesman, surely a man with 5 tv angles can decided
quicker than that.

I wouldn't want the game to change out of all recognition, but it's obvious that it can't continue the way it is now, 'cos we are seeing, weekend in and weekend out, refs making almighty cock-ups on the things they see, and jeez c knows what they don't see! The adjudication of games of cricket, tennis, and rugby have all been enhanced by the introduction of video technology. I suppose that the same arguments were used when those sports began to look at the use of technology and look at them now.

Another use of technology where 'things' would be improved, is where the ref is miked up and the paying public can ear what she might be saying to those England U19s when she ruled out the pen and gave an indirect free kick to the defending team!!

If sport doesn't move with the times, the times and fans will deliver their own verdict.

Ban-jani said:
es1 said:
Ban-jani said:

"that goal was offside".

As easy as that.

You need some to instruct players on the field face to face and generally manage the game.

A referee over a tannoy is ridiculous, the bloke who does the tannoy speaks about 5 times

No you can normally see instantly, and you get delays anyway like our game vs Newcastle
when the referee consulted the linesman, surely a man with 5 tv angles can decided
quicker than that.

Yes I agree it is a rediculous idea (only playing devils advocate) but having a 5th official inputting his opinion to the game and overruling the ref at every opportunity will only harm the game imo.

Ok, let's take the handball penalty v palace from Monday as an example (and again playing devils advocate) the incident happens and the ref misses it, how does the 5th official decide to review the incident? Will each tackle / appeal for a free kick be reviewed as well? Say it's slightly less clear cut and takes 30 seconds, three replays, to figure out what the correct decision is, what happens to the 30 seconds lost playing time? Additionally what it there's a red / yellow card challenge within that 30 seconds. How can the ref realistically control a game if he's never sure when he'll be overruled in play?

Dont get me wrong I would like technology in football but I don't see a feasible way for it to work. I'm a ref and have discussed this with current and ex football league officials and each one has stated they wouldn't want it simply because of this.

LWasington said:
A few people have said technology for goals to check if any infringement has taken place.

My question is What type of infringement and how far back to take it? Are we only checking to see if it was offside/ handled into the goal? Or if the winger crossed it and the centre forward heads in are we checking if it went out of play?

Only asking because sometimes the ball might be in play 2-3 minutes and 50 odd passes or challenges before a goal is scored. If you say just check the final player for offside then I can maybe understand. If you take it back further to see if cross went out then you start opening a can of worms. We've all seen off-the-ball clashes a few seconds before a goal is scored where a defender ends up on the deck because he and the attacker were both running back and have collided. Do you check this? Or what happens if the ball from the back goes to the winger who seems clearly offside nothing given then 90 seconds and 50 passes later a goal is scored. Do you go back and check the offside?

I'm not against video technology but I just want to be clear what infringements we want looked at.

If the cap highlights something, like when the players highlight a handball by their reaction as soon as something happens, it gets reviewed. If a goal happens within a few secs of an 'incident' and it's wrong, the goal stands.

Like tennis, you cannot continue a passage of play and return to an earlier incident! Tennis players don't rally for 2 mins, then return to the first 30 secs for a debatable line call, that would be utterly ludicrous! The players react within a 'reasonable' frame of time, i.e., virtually straight away.

Dunno what the problem is.

es1 said:
Ban-jani said:
es1 said:

quicker than that.

Yes I agree it is a rediculous idea (only playing devils advocate) but having a 5th official inputting his opinion to the game and overruling the ref at every opportunity will only harm the game imo.

Ok, let's take the handball penalty v palace from Monday as an example (and again playing devils advocate) the incident happens and the ref misses it, how does the 5th official decide to review the incident? Will each tackle / appeal for a free kick be reviewed as well? Say it's slightly less clear cut and takes 30 seconds, three replays, to figure out what the correct decision is, what happens to the 30 seconds lost playing time? Additionally what it there's a red / yellow card challenge within that 30 seconds. How can the ref realistically control a game if he's never sure when he'll be overruled in play?

Dont get me wrong I would like technology in football but I don't see a feasible way for it to work. I'm a ref and have discussed this with current and ex football league officials and each one has stated they wouldn't want it simply because of this.

Nobody wants one person overseeing and overruling. That's just stupid. You want players and ref to work together and keep it from tech as much as you can, but sometimes its needed.

What's also stupid is refs not wanting to be more accountable for their actions. If you didn't see something that was of major concern, why wouldn't you want something to help you make an informed and right decision if your lino can't help you out...?

That's exactly what tennis umpires do.

es1 said:
Ban-jani said:
es1 said:

quicker than that.

We have fallen from 2nd to 4th because of ridiculous refereeing decisions, the current system is completely fucked.

It would take literally less than 5 seconds for the 5th official to just go "handball that, penalty to Manchester City".

If there was a foul in the build up then it would be handled there and then.

When Crystal Palace scored their first, all it would take is the referee to wait for the replay to confirm the offside. I could tell after seeing the replay once. It would take as much time as it takes for the referee to discuss incidents with the linesman that happens often.

For your mediocre challenges in the middle of the park, when the referee sees it there's no need.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.