Viktoria Plzen pre match discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
adrianr said:
We also need the win to start getting our coefficient points up.

We've seen nothing in the league so far to say Pellegrini is an upgrade on Mancini, but Europe is supposedly what this man excels at. Away from home we've looked pretty inept, away from home in Europe even worse.

Tbh if we continue to look like a lost child in the CL I'll start believing the manager isn't the problem at all, and lay more blame at the feet of the players. We frequently wax lyrical about Aguero, Silva, Kompany, Yaya etc, but I wonder how many managers they'd have to fail away from home under before we consider the possibility they just don't have the stones for it, at least not at City.

This is where building an identity to fight for is really important. A common purpose or idea the team can get behind that's not just trying to win football matches. If we've still got players thinking, even subconsciously, they're doing us a favour by being here, when the going gets tough they'll not do enough.

No excuses this campaign. Kompany out? Too bad, we've still got more talent in defence than most of the team's we'll be facing. No Silva? Not many teams have Nasri as backup, or Jovetic. No Aguero? Oh no, only Negredo and Dzeko to chose from then.

Out of the groups minimum. Or consider making a few more changes than just a new manager and DOF.
Fully agree, the finger was pointed at Mancini last season, especially after the disgusting display at the cup final but like you its becoming clear now that maybe it wasn`t just the managers fault. Usualy there is a good reaction from players when a new manager is appointed, at least for a few months, ours lasted for 1 game.Now I`m beginning to look more towards the players, they are not beyond criticism as most of them look like they don't give a shit. A huge ten days for them and more importantly for the club.

Nothing less than a win will be good enough for me. We need a good positive start to build on and not be under pressure from the get go. I think we will win it quite comfortably though if the players can get their collective fingers out of their arses.

Ducado said:
sam-caddick said:
dex2010 said:
Well IMO Sunday is a bigger game, I'd rather win the league than champions league!

Sunday is a bigger game for us fans, but in my opinion Tuesday is bigger for the board.

If we lose or draw in Sunday we have thirty odd games to claw it back to the top, lose on Tuesday we are in big trouble and could be in for another CL disaster.

We have the team to win both games so I am quietly confident at the moment.

Without doubt Progression in the CL is a top priority, for the club and the owners, it makes common sense
But not if we don´t make top 4 this season - atm a real possibility<br /><br />-- Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:38 pm --<br /><br />
ballinio said:
adrianr said:
We also need the win to start getting our coefficient points up.

We've seen nothing in the league so far to say Pellegrini is an upgrade on Mancini, but Europe is supposedly what this man excels at. Away from home we've looked pretty inept, away from home in Europe even worse.

Tbh if we continue to look like a lost child in the CL I'll start believing the manager isn't the problem at all, and lay more blame at the feet of the players. We frequently wax lyrical about Aguero, Silva, Kompany, Yaya etc, but I wonder how many managers they'd have to fail away from home under before we consider the possibility they just don't have the stones for it, at least not at City.

This is where building an identity to fight for is really important. A common purpose or idea the team can get behind that's not just trying to win football matches. If we've still got players thinking, even subconsciously, they're doing us a favour by being here, when the going gets tough they'll not do enough.

No excuses this campaign. Kompany out? Too bad, we've still got more talent in defence than most of the team's we'll be facing. No Silva? Not many teams have Nasri as backup, or Jovetic. No Aguero? Oh no, only Negredo and Dzeko to chose from then.

Out of the groups minimum. Or consider making a few more changes than just a new manager and DOF.
Fully agree, the finger was pointed at Mancini last season, especially after the disgusting display at the cup final but like you its becoming clear now that maybe it wasn`t just the managers fault. Usualy there is a good reaction from players when a new manager is appointed, at least for a few months, ours lasted for 1 game.Now I`m beginning to look more towards the players, they are not beyond criticism as most of them look like they don't give a shit. A huge ten days for them and more importantly for the club.
More and more I´m beginning to think this is the whole crux of the matter. If the "marquees" really think it´s job done for them and we´re lucky to have them then we should be making plans to ship out and bring in exactly the way Perez has done at Madrid - ruthlessly

The first and probably most important game of group for us. If we lose tomorrow, we will be facing a very steep mountain - almost certainly having to take points home and away against Moscow and Munich. It's just got to be a win for us tomorrow against the weakest side in the group.

It's going to be a tough one, that's for sure. Just look at their wins against Napoli (5-0 agg), Atletico, and 2 all draw against Milan.

One of those teams that may not be exceptional individually but click together well.

We will see tomorrow if our players have taken on board Pelegrini's methods and actually respecting them because what I've seen at the moment it doesn't look like it...

de niro said:
Pigeonho said:
Given who they are and who we have in our squad, it's nothing more than a win for me. The eyes will be on us tomorrow night to see what we do. TBH though I'm more concerned about Sunday. Not looking forward to it at all.

I'd take a draw Sunday right now, I know that's us going backwards but that's exactly what we've done.

I wouldn't take a draw on Sunday, we must win, we have a much stronger side than in many previous years and a draw would be a nightmare.

It will be so important to get the 3 points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.