Villa (H) Post Match Thread

Those two still frames actually sum up the point I’m trying to make. That the ground he’s made up ‘should’ constitute interfering with play.

Either way it’s a very intelligent move from Rodri to wait for that precise moment to challenge for the ball.
Offside is to stop players goal hanging, not for interfering with play. The only time Rodri interferes with play, is when he is onside. It does not matter what part of the pitch Rodri comes from. Mings had control of the ball and therefore Rodri could not be offside.

Absolute this Mings could have headed it clear but the big headed get that he is took it on his chest because he thinks he’s John Stones. He’s not the rest is history.
I was thinking all though the game sooner or later that he would fuck up. You can’t have the luck he had with all those blocks without some payback
All Mings had to do was to leave the ball run through to Rodri. Rodri couldn't play the ball, or even move towards it as he was at least 10 yards offside in that scenario.

Rodri gained 20 odd yards on Mings before he touched the ball. He was in the perfect position to dispossess him due to the run he had made from an offside position.

My argument isn’t that Rodri was offside because the law states he clearly wasn’t, it’s that the law should change so Rodri should be offside.
In that case every goal scored from a back pass from a defender to a striker who was in an "offside" position for the last 90 years or so would have to be dissallowed????????????????????? The rule has been the same for years, Aguero scored from an "offside" position when Barkley headed the ball back towards his own goal last season.

Do you still want the law changed?

The "not offside" is dominating the discussion but the decision is not at all controversial. An attacker IS in an offside position if a defender touches the ball accidentally before an attacker in an offside position receives the ball. This is to prevent for eg an attacker belting the ball at him so that it brushes him or bounces off him to the attacker who has then a chance to score. A deliberate play by the defender means the attacker is no longer offside. All this should have been irrelevant because all Mings should have done was simply get out of the way and let the ball go through to his 'keeper or out of play. I couldn't understand why he didn't do that.

It is a pity because it all takes attention away from what a great game this was. City were excellent and fully deserved the victory and deserved it fully against what is an excellent Villa side. Very tense but City have really added grit and determination and defensive resilience to undoubted class the team has. Great stuff.

Anyone else think Grealish although a brilliant player has a nasty streak in him ? I suppose all great players do. Just hope he hadn’t hurt Kev too bad with that extra little bit on the follow through.

Best 6pm kick off of the season. What an entertaining match for 70 minutes or so. Incredulous that no goals went in!

Regardless of my thoughts on the offside law I thought we were excellent tonight.

For the first time in ages it felt like we are in a title race. It had shades of the West Ham game at the Etihad a few years ago when Silva scored a late winner.

Last season we’d have lost our composure from all the missed chances and conceded on the counter. This season I feel like we’ve got that mentality back.

Probably Phil’s best performance for us and one of Rodri’s too. Dias was also immense again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.