Villas-Boas calls for 'B' teams

Dubai Blue said:
Let's say City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool and United all decide to establish B teams. Not only does the gap between those teams and the rest of the Premier League get even bigger than it already is, six teams with long and proud histories also presumably get displaced from the Football League, all to appease the whim of the rich and mighty at the top of the game. That's what I meant by 'at their expense'.
There is nothing to stop your Everton's, Stoke's and Aston Villa's from doing it as well. It has the potential to improve the countries talent all round if all clubs take advantage of it. In fact, Barcelona B isn't demolishing Spain's second division as you might expect. They haven't won it since 2002. If Championship sides can't compete with Prem youth teams, then they're not good enough to be in the Championship are they? This is how competition works.

Castiel said:
Dubai Blue said:
Let's say City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool and United all decide to establish B teams. Not only does the gap between those teams and the rest of the Premier League get even bigger than it already is, six teams with long and proud histories also presumably get displaced from the Football League, all to appease the whim of the rich and mighty at the top of the game. That's what I meant by 'at their expense'.
There is nothing to stop your Everton's, Stoke's and Aston Villa's from doing it as well. It has the potential to improve the countries talent all round if all clubs take advantage of it. In fact, Barcelona B isn't demolishing Spain's second division as you might expect. They haven't won it since 2002. If Championship sides can't compete with Prem youth teams, then they're not good enough to be in the Championship are they? This is how competition works.
So all those teams like Burton,Accrington and Afc Wimbledon,who fought tooth and claw to rise through the divisions should somehow be pushed aside for some newly created sides?Bollocks.

Castiel said:
Dubai Blue said:
Everton can barely afford to run one team in a professional competitive league, let alone two. And you're continuing to miss the point that Lust Overlord has so kindly pointed out above. It's not about teams not being good enough to compete; it's about teams being shunted out of the Football League purely to satiate the greed of the rich.

If you issue is in parachuting them into a lower division and doing some kind of extended relegation, that obviously isn't the way to do it. They'd either have to work their way up, do some kind of playoff system or expand a division.

Castiel said:
If you issue is in parachuting them into a lower division and doing some kind of extended relegation, that obviously isn't the way to do it. They'd either have to work their way up, do some kind of playoff system or expand a division.
So you'd advocate the likes of chelsea and city's b teams fighting their way up from say the evo stick or the ryman league's?how would that generate any worthwhile competition for our young gifted players?
The championship league in this country has or had very recently the 4th best support in terms of fans attendance in europe.There's a huge difference between the lower leagues on the continent and here in terms of support and infrastructure.

Castiel said:
Wherever they start, it would always be at the expense of a grass-roots team that fully deserved to be there. And starting at the very bottom of the ladder would mean sacrificing a generation of our youngsters to the wilderness of amateur football. I doubt that would do much good for their development.

As Lust Overlord points out, the lower leagues in most of Europe are largely irrelevant. That isn't the case in England. You can't just go shitting on more than 100 years of tradition just because the richest clubs think they can no longer manage with one team.

and whatever division they're in, if it isn't the Championship then there is absolutely no way that they would be playing at a high enough level anyway.

stupid idea, Spain works because of the way Spain is set up fundamentally, you can't just take a hacksaw to the English game cos Spain have got a great generation of players.

Besides if the lad ain't good enough by the time he's reached the B team, chances are he never will be, the lad has to have the outright talent and star quality from the age he's in the academy setup anyway.

And essentially, won't they either be in a league which they dominate or can't get promoted or is at a competitive level which is what the reserve league is anyway?

it stinks of "oh they're really good and they do it so let's do it even if it clearly won't fit" just to try and paper over the fundamental cracks and get a quick fix.

lust overlord said:
So you'd advocate the likes of chelsea and city's b teams fighting their way up from say the evo stick or the ryman league's?how would that generate any worthwhile competition for our young gifted players?
Its one of the ways to go about doing it, there are others. If its going to be a long term change to how we promote talent in this country, then its going to take time to achieve. If that means waiting a few years for the B teams to reach their optimal division (if it turns out that would be the best way) then so bet it. I don't think we should parachute a bunch of B teams into the championship or league 1 and just knock whoever happens to be in the way down because that would be grossly unfair. But a reasonable way of implementing it without much intrusion on the lower divisions is not impossible.

By the way, if Sevilla and Valencia can afford B teams (riddled with debt) so can Everton. They've already got a team of youths playing in the joke that is the reserve league. The object of this is not just to help the best clubs and screw over everyone else. Its to improve how players are developed from a young age in this country.

lust overlord said:
The championship league in this country has or had very recently the 4th best support in terms of fans attendance in europe.There's a huge difference between the lower leagues on the continent and here in terms of support and infrastructure.
Unless you're an expert on the lower divisions of other European countries I'm not sure how you can say that so confidently. England isn't special and we're quite clearly lagging behind Germany, Spain, Holland, Italy and France in terms of talent. Our international record is a clear indication of that. Even Belgium is producing a golden generation now and they'll have the better of us in a few years when these players mature.

Look at Romeu who is practically fresh out of Barca's academy. He walked into our side and kicked the Prem's arse. Mata is probably our best player and he was surplus to requirements at Madrid so he was sold to Valencia (an Everton of La Liga (well maybe a Spurs)). How you can turn this into a bad thing is just beyond me.

Castiel said:
lust overlord said:
Its one of the ways to go about doing it, there are others. If its going to be a long term change to how we promote talent in this country, then its going to take time to achieve. If that means waiting a few years for the B teams to reach their optimal division (if it turns out that would be the best way) then so bet it. I don't think we should parachute a bunch of B teams into the championship or league 1 and just knock whoever happens to be in the way down because that would be grossly unfair. But a reasonable way of implementing it without much intrusion on the lower divisions is not impossible.
I am no expert on lower league European football but I do know that what I stated re attendances is fact.Serie a had lower attendances than the championship.The problem with bringing talent through lies with the success of the premier league,too many foreign players compared with the other European leagues,rule changes or as I've said proper arrangements with teams over loan agreements are the only feasible answers imo

By the way, if Sevilla and Valencia can afford B teams (riddled with debt) so can Everton. They've already got a team of youths playing in the joke that is the reserve league. The object of this is not just to help the best clubs and screw over everyone else. Its to improve how players are developed from a young age in this country.

lust overlord said:
Unless you're an expert on the lower divisions of other European countries I'm not sure how you can say that so confidently. England isn't special and we're quite clearly lagging behind Germany, Spain, Holland, Italy and France in terms of talent. Our international record is a clear indication of that. Even Belgium is producing a golden generation now and they'll have the better of us in a few years when these players mature.

Look at Romeu who is practically fresh out of Barca's academy. He walked into our side and kicked the Prem's arse. Mata is probably our best player and he was surplus to requirements at Madrid so he was sold to Valencia (an Everton of La Liga (well maybe a Spurs)). How you can turn this into a bad thing is just beyond me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.