Vincent Kompany | Bayern Munich Manager

I think you’re probably right - can see this being more common than we probably appreciate. That said, just because it has worked in the past for some managers doesn’t mean it’s always the right approach.

Obviously, very different settings but in my experience as a manager, success is less about carrot/stick (you can get success with both) and more about consistency and predictability. People should never be surprised by your actions as a manager. They should have a really good idea of how you’re going to react before they do whatever they do. That way they can only really be upset with themselves if they’re caught on the wrong side of you because they should have seen it coming.

Feels to me like that’s where VK goes wrong here, it’s just going to get people’s backs up if you flip at them purely for the shock value. And it’s clearly not measured, he keeps going back for more, which makes it look like he’s lost control. Bollock them once, make your point, move on. Anyway, easy to criticise from our vantage point - this is a super high pressure job.
Agreed, he definitely could have handled it better, but pressure does strange things to people.

We also only have a snapshot of what happened, hence I suggested we would need more context to make a more informed judgement.

For all we know, VK brought the player into his office and apologised the next day.

Some amount of snowflakes these days.

A manager gave a player a bollocking, It happens! Stuff like this happens all the time.

What do people want Kompany to say? "Eh Gudmundsson, I'm really sorry for having to ask but could please do what your told, If not it's OK hun".

We can't all tell what exactly happened in a 30 second clip or whatever it is, He gave him a bollocking, Gudmundsson is a big boy now I'm sure he'll be fine ffs...

God forbid you give out to someone these days.

As I said in my first post on here, I’m more surprised that they’ve released this in their documentary. It doesn’t achieve anything.

It’s the age old conundrum of elite players struggling with the concept of managing players that don’t have an elite mentality.
It made him look bad after he left them for Bayern. It achieved exactly what they intended, I'd wager.

And it’s well documented that Bobby Manc and Mario had a full-blown training ground spat.
And were both turfed out of City not so long later.

Some amount of snowflakes these days.

A manager gave a player a bollocking, It happens! Stuff like this happens all the time.

What do people want Kompany to say? "Eh Gudmundsson, I'm really sorry for having to ask but could please do what your told, If not it's OK hun".

We can't all tell what exactly happened in a 30 second clip or whatever it is, He gave him a bollocking, Gudmundsson is a big boy now I'm sure he'll be fine ffs...

God forbid you give out to someone these days.
There’s giving a bollocking, then straight up offering someone out and embarrassing them in front of colleagues. Talks about controlling his emotions then fails to keep his own in check. He just comes across as a dick.

It seems it got the players back up enough that he refused to renew until Kompany left.

And were both turfed out of City not so long later.

There’s giving a bollocking, then straight up offering someone out and embarrassing them in front of colleagues. Talks about controlling his emotions then fails to keep his own in check. He just comes across as a dick.

It seems it got the players back up enough that he refused to renew until Kompany left.
I'd put my money on Burnley or the makers of the documentary having that clip in the documentary, Kompany left and went to Bayern Munich so maybe Burnley set out to achieve what they wanted.

We don't know what happened in the build up to Kompany losing his head, For all we know Gudmundsson was constantly moaning disrespecting his manager.

At the end of the day, It's a results business and that's up to the manager to get the results, If not his head be it whilst Gudmundsson is still playing for Burnley and no fucks given.

I suppose managers have to "kick some ass", from time to time. It's the old conundrum, really; which players respond to an arm around the shoulder, and which to a boot up the backside?

That being said; it's not a great look. Even Vinnie would probably (maybe!) admit that. Off camera!

And it’s well documented that Bobby Manc and Mario had a full-blown training ground spat.

One now manages Saudi Arabia and I can’t be bothered to Google where the other one is playing.

Mancini’s poor management of Balotelli helped speed up his departure at City.

It’s not a good look for Kompany, in my opinion.
I’ll take it you haven’t played much “it matters” football?

For me, it’s the player who looks bad. STFU and walk away! The Boss is the Boss. The end.

If you’ve got something to say to him, then you get a shower and head to his office for a chat.

Challenging the Gaffer in front of the other players is a losing gambit, especially when he’s already mad at you. Walk away…

If that was Pep and a City player…?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.