Vincent Kompany | Bayern Munich Manager

I’ll take it you haven’t played much “it matters” football?

For me, it’s the player who looks bad. STFU and walk away! The Boss is the Boss. The end.

If you’ve got something to say to him, then you get a shower and head to his office for a chat.

Challenging the Gaffer in front of the other players is a losing gambit, especially when he’s already mad at you. Walk away…

If that was Pep and a City player…?
Or Brian Clough?

"If a player disagreed with something I’d said, I’d invite him into my office to discuss it for 20 minutes, then we’d agree that I was right all along."

Some amount of snowflakes these days.

A manager gave a player a bollocking, It happens! Stuff like this happens all the time.

What do people want Kompany to say? "Eh Gudmundsson, I'm really sorry for having to ask but could please do what your told, If not it's OK hun".

We can't all tell what exactly happened in a 30 second clip or whatever it is, He gave him a bollocking, Gudmundsson is a big boy now I'm sure he'll be fine ffs...

God forbid you give out to someone these days.
And were both turfed out of City not so long later.

There’s giving a bollocking, then straight up offering someone out and embarrassing them in front of colleagues. Talks about controlling his emotions then fails to keep his own in check. He just comes across as a dick.

It seems it got the players back up enough that he refused to renew until Kompany left.
I'd put my money on Burnley or the makers of the documentary having that clip in the documentary, Kompany left and went to Bayern Munich so maybe Burnley set out to achieve what they wanted.

We don't know what happened in the build up to Kompany losing his head, For all we know Gudmundsson was constantly moaning disrespecting his manager.

At the end of the day, It's a results business and that's up to the manager to get the results, If not his head be it whilst Gudmundsson is still playing for Burnley and no fucks given.
I’ve generally taken the “more bees with honey” approach when managing people. That’s not just because it avoids disruptive conflict which can drag on with both the person and others that may take their side in the dispute, but because it has been my experience that those types of interactions can lead to observers (often team members and/subordinates, but sometimes customers or other interested parties) losing respect for you. And loss of respect has a much more detrimental effect on the group as a whole, the enterprise, and your ability to effectively manage in the future.

I have certainly told people off before, but I can only remember going as far as Vinny does in that clip once, and I regret it to this day, as I almost immediately realised it was a shite thing to do and it was going to make things much worse overall. And it did just that. The employee ended up quitting two months later, miserable the entire time before, and others on the team noticeably interacted with me differently afterward, often afraid to give me bad news or reluctant to offer opinions for fear they would be on the end of one, as well. I eventually left the position because I realised the majority of the team was never going to see me as the manager I was before the incident. It was early on in my professional career, thankfully, but it was a hard (but incredibly valuable) lesson that I took with me in all work I did after.

As you and others have said, we don’t know what came before this and I tend to agree Burnley included that unflattering clip paired with that specific section of his interview for a reason. Gudmundsson could have been moaning in and outside of training regularly, Vinny could have tried taking a more quiet approach, the player could have been having a ‘Cancelo effect’ on the team, and that day was just the final straw.

I played football through my early 20s and have had coaches that took that approach a lot. You do tend to get over it quickly most of the time as a player. But I never found that approach to be more effective than a mostly more considered, personal approach. And I do wonder if that way of managing could actually be consistently effective in modern football.

If I am being honest, I think even Vinny would admit the bit where he goes back for more at the end was not his finest hour and did give the impression of him no longer being in control.

I’ve generally taken the “more bees with honey” approach when managing people. That’s not just because it avoids disruptive conflict which can drag on with both the person and others that may take their side in the dispute, but because it has been my experience that those types of interactions can lead to observers (often team members and/subordinates, but sometimes customers or other interested parties) losing respect for you. And loss of respect has a much more detrimental effect on the group as a whole, the enterprise, and your ability to effectively manage in the future.

I have certainly told people off before, but I can only remember going as far as Vinny does in that clip once, and I regret it to this day, as I almost immediately realised it was a shite thing to do and it was going to make things much worse overall. And it did just that. The employee ended up quitting two months later, miserable the entire time before, and others on the team noticeably interacted with me differently afterward, often afraid to give me bad news or reluctant to offer opinions for fear they would be on the end of one, as well. I eventually left the position because I realised the majority of the team was never going to see me as the manager I was before the incident. It was early on in my professional career, thankfully, but it was a hard (but incredibly valuable) lesson that I took with me in all work I did after.

As you and others have said, we don’t know what came before this and I tend to agree Burnley included that unflattering clip paired with that specific section of his interview for a reason. Gudmundsson could have been moaning in and outside of training regularly, Vinny could have tried taking a more quiet approach, the player could have been having a ‘Cancelo effect’ on the team, and that day was just the final straw.

I played football through my early 20s and have had coaches that took that approach a lot. You do tend to get over it quickly most of the time as a player. But I never found that approach to be more effective than a mostly more considered, personal approach. And I do wonder if that way of managing could actually be consistently effective in modern football.

If I am being honest, I think even Vinny would admit the bit where he goes back for more at the end was not his finest hour and did give the impression of him no longer being in control.
That's what a relegation battle can do to you. The build up of pressure and the explosion. Kompany is not making any sense its just an outpouring of frustration a complete meltdown. I don't think it fits into any managerial approach or strategy but should be filed under blowout. The impact of him adopting this kind of conduct going forward is likely to be detrimental on his career. I would think he won't have enjoyed the watch.

IF - Munich players watch the clip, they will know he won't let them off easy. I don't think it does him a lot of harm and maybe some good. He may have even apologised later after refecting on it. We will never know. Pep fined himself after a rant at Phil on the pitch. Even the best do it.

Anyway - where was Bellamy? I thought that was his job :-)

That's what a relegation battle can do to you. The build up of pressure and the explosion. Kompany is not making any sense its just an outpouring of frustration a complete meltdown. I don't think it fits into any managerial approach or strategy but should be filed under blowout. The impact of him adopting this kind of conduct going forward is likely to be detrimental on his career. I would think he won't have enjoyed the watch.
I don't think he would enjoy the watch in particular the way the piece was put together by Burnley and the Production Team.

They've gathered clips of his interviews from various points across the season and put them in the same clip as the Gudmundsson incident.

Very poor from Burnley in my opinion, Good for them and the publicity it's getting for their club and viewers.

I'd imagine Vinny isn't best pleased with that part of it. How he feels about the incident itself is another thing, He could have had a chat with him after it happened and cleared the air or maybe he stands by what he done.

Standard, this will happen up and down the country on most training pitches

I agree. My feeling is this is normal on a training pitch, but it does feel Kompany lost his head a little there, especially the bit where the player walked away and he went back after him screaming about football being life or death.

In all the years I've played organised football, I've had coaches scream at players, but I do think there's a line between being a passionate coach who wants to push buttons and just being straight up rude and humiliating players in front of the squad. Kompany strayed a little too far in the 'too rude' side for me in this clip.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.