Vincent Kompany | Bayern Munich Manager

Pretty evident a lot in here have never played the game at any level. Also pretty evident they probably spend more time in HR wiping their fannies than getting any actual work done

bad-ba.gif

Pretty evident a lot in here have never played the game at any level. Also pretty evident they probably spend more time in HR wiping their fannies than getting any actual work done
What are you basing that last bit on? I’m not bothered about the training ground bit, I expect that. The dressing room bit though, that’s OTT in my opinion.

In reference to HR, if my boss said to me in that tone that I’ve not seen that side of him/her yet, I’d laugh in his/her face and tell them to fuck off. Not piss and moan to HR. There is a way of speaking to people.

No wonder they got relegated. Seems to me he didn’t keep the dressing room. I think Muller and co. would take my approach if he speaks like that to them. He won’t though.

He’s right.
I don’t think he is and I played youth development football through my early 20s (in England and Spain) and the only time I spent with HR in my professional career was for hiring/termination (mostly as a manager) and mandatory trainings. I don’t prescribe to the ‘black and white’ thinking inherent to the argument he put forward.

I think some of the comments regarding the incident with Vinny show a distinct lack of understanding of both the complexities of managing people (especially younger people) and particularly management of modern footballers.

And also potentially reflect some pretty destructive ways some men tend to approach conflict resolution that the world-at-large could do without (the consequences of which we have seen clearly in recent weeks).

Last edited:
I don’t think he is and I played youth development football through my early 20s (in England and Spain) and the only time I spent with HR in my professional career was for hiring/termination as a manager and mandatory trainings.
Cool.

Time will tell whether Kompany is going to succed or not at Bayern, if he fails then he knows the risk and he will get sacked.

If he succed, then whatever his detractor said on this thread right now will look ridicilous later on.

See above for an edit clarifying my position.

You think he is right, I don’t. And I explained why, and presented my experience as it literally conflicts with his statement.

Obviously neither of us are presenting facts, just opinions based on our own experiences, so neither of us can be deemed as objectively right.

But being dismissive of people that disagree, who have the experience the other person was defining as being necessary to fully understand the situation, isn’t acting in good faith.

Feel free to read my longer take on the incident to see an actual nuanced view from someone that has actually been in that situation numerous times.

I don’t think he is and I played youth development football through my early 20s (in England and Spain) and the only time I spent with HR in my professional career was for hiring/termination (mostly as a manager) and mandatory trainings. I don’t prescribe to the ‘black and white’ thinking inherent to the argument he put forward.

I think some of the comments regarding the incident with Vinny show a distinct lack of understanding of both the complexities of managing people (especially younger people) and particularly management of modern footballers.

And also potentially reflect some pretty destructive ways some men tend to approach conflict resolution that the world-at-large could do without (the consequences of which we have seen clearly in recent weeks).
I’m glad I played when I did then because the thought of having to tippy toe around young players and not shout in case you upset them is laughable.
I’m sure Vinny is plenty bright enough to know about the complexities of managing people.

I’d rather not equate the inner workings of a changing room/training ground to what’s going on in the world and how having a barny with a player is proof that the worlds gone to shit, thanks.

I’m glad I played when I did then because the thought of having to tippy toe around young players and not shout in case you upset them is laughable.
I’m sure Vinny is plenty bright enough to know about the complexities of managing people.

I’d rather not equate the inner workings of a changing room/training ground to what’s going on in the world and how having a barny with a player is proof that the worlds gone to shit, thanks.
That’s not what I was referring to, I was referring to the sentiments the other poster conveyed, which you apparently agreed with (and which this post seems to confirm). And those definitely come from the toxic machismo leading to young men believing conflicts should be resolved through verbal abuse and heated confrontations that often lead to physical alterations (or worse), which are at the heart of a lot of the issues we are seeing currently.

I have never said you can’t shout at players, but the sentiments the other poster conveyed are beyond merely being a tough manager. And I will argue fervently they are not at all sustainable as a management strategy in modern football (or modern work, more generally).

As I said in my longer post, I thought the last bit where Vinny obviously lost control of himself was the part I found fault with, and the element I think even Vinny would admit was not his finest hour.

Last edited:
That’s not what I was referring to, I was referring to the sentiments the other poster conveyed, which you apparently agreed with (and which this post seems to confirm). And those definitely come from the toxic machismo leading to young men believing conflicts should be resolved through verbal abuse and heated confrontations that often lead to physical alterations (or worse), which are at the heart of a lot of the issues we are seeing currently.

I have never said you can’t shout at players, but the sentiments the other poster converted are beyond merely being a tough manager. And I will argue fervently they are not at all sustainable as a management strategy in modern football (or modern work, more generally).

As I said in may longer post, I thought the last bit where Vinny obviously lost control of himself was the part I found fault with, and the element I think even Vinny would admit was not his finest hour.
No, I just accept n the heat of the moment on a football pitch things can be said and done that might not look or sound great to some people but readily accept it’s been part of football since day one.
I can separate that from every day life and doesn’t necessarily mean that all conflict has to be resolved by screaming and shouting.
Believe me, in my industry it’s always better to sort out a bad situation as calmly as possible without provoking the situation.
Hopefully Vinny apologised afterwards because that’s what we do, or should do after something like that. Let it all out on the pitch, be it good or bad but be able to move on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.