Vincent Kompany

bluevengence said:
Tbilisi said:
BlueAnorak said:
I'd add Booth to the list as well but there you go.

Undoubtedly though Kompany has been poor this season. Then again Pellers changed a component of the defence every game till recently.

Booth is a great shout,at the start of the 80s he was superb.

All great players,but I will plump for Mike Doyle just for his hatred of the rag vermin.

Best quote from MD there,s only 2 teams in Manchester,City 1st team & city reserves team

As well as being a fine central defender (and scoring 37 goals in all competitions), Booth made two major contributions to City trophies - his last-minute winner v Everton in the 1969 FA Cup semi-final, and his (often-forgotten) nod-down from Willie Donachie's free-kick that Dennis Tueart converted with his famous overhead. I was there on both occasions, as some other ancient Bluemooners may have been.
He was great in the air, unlike now, when any high ball into City's box seems to cause the defenders (and me) severe problems.

Big Swifty said:
As well as being a fine central defender (and scoring 37 goals in all competitions), Booth made two major contributions to City trophies - his last-minute winner v Everton in the 1969 FA Cup semi-final, and his (often-forgotten) nod-down from Willie Donachie's free-kick that Dennis Tueart converted with his famous overhead. I was there on both occasions, as some other ancient Bluemooners may have been.
He was great in the air, unlike now, when any high ball into City's box seems to cause the defenders (and me) severe problems.
i was there at both of them, and also his goal at Peterborough in '81which rekindled the memories of '69.
He was a very cultured centre half in the days of bruisers

Dribble said:
hutton who blue said:
I don't understand how such a powerful, commanding, intelligent figure who was a colossus for City and destined to become a City legend is now producing indecisive and doubtful displays for City. I hope he turns it around to how he once was.
I would hazard a guess its because of the indecisive and doubtful 442 he been asked to play in. He said as much last season that the defence has a lot less protection and the emphasis has shifted from being defensively solid to all out attack, so something had to give.

Good players rarely become indecisive and doubtful overnight without good reason.
Realistically Mangala and Demichelis are managing it a lot better.

It's been a horrible season for Vinnie and I don't think some of these excuses ring as true as we might like.

NQCitizen said:
Dribble said:
hutton who blue said:
I don't understand how such a powerful, commanding, intelligent figure who was a colossus for City and destined to become a City legend is now producing indecisive and doubtful displays for City. I hope he turns it around to how he once was.
I would hazard a guess its because of the indecisive and doubtful 442 he been asked to play in. He said as much last season that the defence has a lot less protection and the emphasis has shifted from being defensively solid to all out attack, so something had to give.

Good players rarely become indecisive and doubtful overnight without good reason.

It's been a horrible season for Vinnie and I don't think some of these excuses ring as true as we might like.
The whole defence looks nervous. I lost count how many times Zabs was on the ball & instead of trying to build an attack from the back he just played safe & passed it back to Hart.

Their confidence has gone. What have we gone and done to the very foundation of our recent rise?

Dribble said:
NQCitizen said:
Dribble said:

The whole defence looks nervous. I lost count how many times Zabs was on the ball & instead of trying to build an attack from the back he just played safe & passed it back to Hart.

Their confidence has gone. What have we gone and done to the very foundation of our recent rise?
This might sound harsh but - I think it's mostly on Kompany.

It doesn't help that his reaction to not having a DM to protect him is to play as that DM and not even worry about the CB position.

He's been charging about impetuously and he's as likely to get a yellow or get injured as he is win the ball - his tackle on Blind in the derby said it all.

He's not leading the team well as a captain and the team looks more cohesive without him - even with persona non grata Yaya as captain. He's arguing with Zaba on the pitch and supposedly had a fight with Fernandinho in the dressing room. Some of quotes this year have been frankly deluded.

I think we're never going to see top level of Vinnie again. It's awfull sad to say as a blue, but I'd be looking for a replacement and if we got Laporte I think we'd have one.

I just don't know what happened to the Kompany we all loved, but I think if the majority of us were honest he's not been like that for quite a while.

I think if we start next year expecting the old Kompany then we're already facing a problem.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.