Vincent Kompany

Nah leave it as it is. It would be fun to see Man United and Liverpool get relegated but sadly will never happen.

Vinny will hopefully do well next season. He will make mistakes but he will do well. He struggled against us and it will prepare him for the bigger clubs. I can see Burnley getting mid table as there are more weaker teams next season.

My hot take: they will finish above Spurs

For me, the most interesting part of the interview was a line that was an aside…

“3 Diamond 3”

He talked about it being a Cruyff system he had learned about at Anderlrcht, where they were Cruyff disciples.

That’s the formation we ended up with at the end of the season, when pressing was causing us problems. In fact, it was what helped put Akanji in the inside right position to play in Bernardo for the pull back to Rodri that won us the CL AND was the overload that created Bernardo’s first goal against Real Madrid in the SF Second Leg!

Stones HAD been given license to step forward from CB into the RDM position to help Rodri not be shut down and to help us create the midfield overload.

However, once teams sussed this, they simply had a player shuttle forward to try to block this. Most teams were unsuccessful at it, but Inter had it down to a science!

Throughout the team, they employed the shuttle…deeper defensive player stepping forward momentarily to pressure the ball...and were shutting us down going forward.

In the second half of the Final, Pep allowed Stones to push up on the right side of midfield when we broke their press OR to help break their press. When it happened, it put the defender in a bind…come and expose yourself in behind or stay and allow the midfield overload to approach your box!

I don’t know if a 3-Diamond-3 is going to be our system next season, with KDB, Bernardo, Foden or Alvarez playing the attacking point of the Diamond, or we will employ some other, or combination of, systems. What will be interesting is to see who Pep thinks is ready to step up and save us €60-80M on another midfielder!

Phillips? McAtee? Palmer? Doyle? Lewis? Perrone?

Will ANY of them start looking like they can fit in seamlessly without a significant drop off in quality, or will they be “rest” subs to give one of the 16 starters a break?

We are LIGHT in midfield. A Gundo-Kovacic “swap” does NOTHING to improve on the lightness across the middle of the park and one more TOP midfielder who can immediately step in is needed.

Last edited:
F0wgg9VWIAIpVmG

Just want to say what a legend ! The word is used far too easily but this guy will truly go down not just in our history books but in football history as a giant of the game. He had everything we needed as a player and leader , so glad he’s done a great job so far at Burnley and really hope he makes the step up this season.

Have no shame in saying Burnley are my ‘second’ team this season and I’m not one for having second teams….apart from England…….Come on you lionesses !!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.