Violence at Euro 2016

I think we struggle sometimes for perspective. France is on red alert for terrorist attacks 130 innocent people were gunned down in Paris a few months ago. Their police need a load of English, Russian or whomever thugs like a hole in the head right now. A number of English fans have been abusing and terrorizing local French people and the police for a few days now (hurling bottles, chairs etc) do they really expect the French police to lift a finger when a few tooled up Russians arrive on the scene - they should help - it's their job but I can understand why they don't feel the need to do much. I suspect our police might do the same if a group of French supporters did similar here in the same circumstances.

As far as i am aware England fans have been targeted by organized gangs from Paris, Marseilles, Nice and Russia. That is before you mention the local population.
Nor are the russians "a few" there seems to be about 1k of them who are organized from all the news and footage we have seen. That is pretty significant imo.

Yes we will have a few fools but they are the very very few these days, these people should have their passports taken from them for 10 years and banned from every bar/pub and ground in the UK.

I wonder if adverts like the Mars bar one helps the reputation?
Knights in chainmail on horseback charging across the channel.

Wait until we are out of the EU - it will get worse. Whatever the shortcomings of the EU it's been brilliant from a political perspective - soon we will be outside of that and isolated and left to our outdated island mentality. If the EU fails - will we see political instability? Like in the 1920's or 30's few people have thought of that but any country gripped by waves of nationalism - as we are today where we knowingly make decisions in the full knowledge that it will damage our political and economic future is on a slippery slope - according to yesterday's Daily Telegraph huge numbers are voting leave in the full knowledge it will damage them economically. My own employer will leave the UK if we vote out (I'm senior and I've seen the contingency plan - we are off to Germany with 3,000 jobs gone) and we won't be the only ones. Ask Slovakia - they left Czechoslovakia in the name of national identity and have paid a very very heavy price economically.

In my experience the French, Spainish and Italian Police haven't got a clue how to control football fans in general, however i've always thought English and German police have pretty much got it sorted.

I'm sticking my neck out here as i may be wrong but i can't remember one flashpoint during Euro 96?

I always worry when the Spanish Police cover their faces and remove any markings from uniforms - pretty clear they don't want to be identified or accountable for their actions.

Wait until we are out of the EU - it will get worse. Whatever the shortcomings of the EU it's been brilliant from a political perspective - soon we will be outside of that and isolated and left to our outdated island mentality. If the EU fails - will we see political instability? Like in the 1920's or 30's few people have thought of that but any country gripped by waves of nationalism - as we are today where we knowingly make decisions in the full knowledge that it will damage our political and economic future is on a slippery slope - according to yesterday's Daily Telegraph huge numbers are voting leave in the full knowledge it will damage them economically. My own employer will leave the UK if we vote out (I'm senior and I've seen the contingency plan - we are off to Germany with 3,000 jobs gone) and we won't be the only ones. Ask Slovakia - they left Czechoslovakia in the name of national identity and have paid a very very heavy price economically.

not that its anything to do with whats happening. thats your opinion, luckily lots dont agree with you. political instability and the eu failing ?? thats happening right now. the eu is failing, huge un employment and far right governments gaining more support then ever.

not that its anything to do with whats happening. thats your opinion, luckily lots dont agree with you. political instability and the eu failing ?? thats happening right now. the eu is failing, huge un employment and far right governments gaining more support then ever.

So you don't think Europe (thru the EU) is dealing with its problems in a better way today than it did in the first half of the 20th century - because I do. Remember 100m died between 1914 and 1918. It's not perfect - I'm not even a fan but history tells us that withdrawal and isolation really doesn't help.

So you don't think Europe (thru the EU) is dealing with its problems in a better way today than it did in the first half of the 20th century - because I do. Remember 100m died between 1914 and 1918. It's not perfect - I'm not even a fan but history tells us that withdrawal and isolation really doesn't help.

Take it elsewhere eh chaps, it's boring shite for a lot of us, cheers.

Leave aside the political and economic angle to the Eu which is off topic (as reminded just now!)
From a football fan perspective Europe is just backward compared to the UK.
I would happily take my daughter to most stadiums here, can't say the same for Europe.

English fans are judged by what happened in the 80s but fans here are predominantly peaceful and nice now.
A lot of fans, especially in south or East Europe, are much closer in terms of violence and racism to that stereotype now.

Would be interesting to see the statistics, but from what I've seen of the games so far, there do seem to be enormous supports in the grounds for almost all countries, compared with previous tournaments. There are so many people living in other European countries now and movement is so much easier that it's hardly surprising, but it could be that there proportionally more idiots travelling as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.