Virgil van Dijk

Status
Not open for further replies.
An absolute must buy in January especially if release clause rumors are true.

We need to sort out our defense asap. The problem is clear and there is nothing more to evaluate from Pep's side. Our current defense is not good enough and gambling on Vinny to come back and be fit for the rest of the season is too risky.

A CB group of Van Dijk, Stones, Otamendi and Vinny when fit is solid, Tosin at only 19 will still get his chances, IMO its a little bit too much to ask from him to come in and fix our defense, he is our future, and by putting him under immense pressure we could ruin his career.

Honestly, no.

Just slap the big cash down on the very best available - Bonucci, Godin etc.

The Mangala and Otamendi signings haven't worked - we can't risk any more bad business in this position.

If this had been two years ago before those two signings my view might be different.

Buying centre backs that could be, but aren't yet the finished article aren't an option for me any more.

A lot depends if we plan to go back in for Laporte, if we do then we can forget about Virgil.

Honestly, no.

Just slap the big cash down on the very best available - Bonucci, Godin etc.

The Mangala and Otamendi signings haven't worked - we can't risk any more bad business in this position.

If this had been two years ago before those two signings my view might be different.

Buying centre backs that could be, but aren't yet the finished article aren't an option for me any more.

I'd argue that potentially Bonucci or Godin are more risky. Godin is having an awful season, but as for Bonucci, look at Bravo.

On paper, he's the perfect goalkeeper signing for us, ticks every single box, but he's turned up and things haven't gone well so far.

VVD has probably been the best CB in the league this season, he's already playing at the level we want him to be at- he isn't a signing for potential, but for right now, and he's familiar with the country and the league, and playing in both back 4 and back 4 so he should adapt better than any outsider.

For me, John Stones is crying out for a natural leader alongside him.

So as much as I would love Virgil here, I think our priority would be a Bonucci or a Thiago Silva or the bald Italian from Juve (or Vinnie back).

Otamendi isn't up to the task for me.

Oh, and we also need to find someone to replace Gareth Barry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.