Virgil van Dijk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stuck in my mind last year that when we played them (won 3-1 I think), I felt genuinely sorry for him during the game
He was another level above his team mates even when playing out from the back and he just had nobody on his wave-length

Can remember him gliding forward from CB and taking a few players on before cracking the bar from about 35 yards. No idea how he will settle considering the problem behind our defensive issues is the set up, constant changing and lack of midfield protection, but it ain't my money..

You have to feel sorry for Pep having these players thrust on him by the DoF,what must he think??

Good one. So you think he's worth £50m?

When you look at the players who've gone for good value, such as Alderweireld, Matip, Koscielny, etc, it shows that they're out there. We need to do better in our recruitment.

Scary that any half decent defender is valued at £50m.

He's clearly a good player but another extortionate Txiki purchase. Can we not spot any value elsewhere?

You have to feel sorry for Pep having these players thrust on him by the DoF,what must he think??

I think the point being made is that Southampton got VVD for a lot less than the £50m quoted. Everton got Stones for a lot less than we paid. I'm sure the likes of Mangala and Otamendi cost relatively modest fees prior to City going after them.

VVD could well prove to be a very good signing, and if we do sign him then I'm sure Pep will be the one giving it the nod. However, at some point we have to be the ones scouting and unearthing the hidden gems rather than paying over the odds for players discovered by scouts elsewhere.

Good one. So you think he's worth £50m?

When you look at the players who've gone for good value, such as Alderweireld, Matip, Koscielny, etc, it shows that they're out there. We need to do better in our recruitment.

Why are you so concerned about the money? We have buckets of the stuff. I couldn't give a stuff if he costs 250million if he improves the team.

This guy is class, pay the fee, get him in, this time it won't be wasted. He is everything we need, PL proven, and we know defenders usually take the longest to settle, so this is important.

Yes, we have spent a lot on CBs, but Stones and Van Dijk could be our defensive pairing for a long time. They can learn from Kompany and Tosin will be waiting in the wings. Otamendi will still play but we are desperate for that physical presence in the middle. Hopefully Vinny gets fit and then Stones-Vinny,,Otamendi--Vinny,, Stones--Van Dijk,, Otamendi--Van Dijk are the pairings that I would like to see. Having one huge, physical defender is a must in PL. Our CB group would be the best in the league.

The thing with uncovering gems is that it very risky for a club with our ambitions. Summer comes we gamble on 10-15M players, believing they will be great, they turn out not so good and we're in big trouble. We can gamble on these gems as back ups, not starting players. Lets face it we want to win the PL and CL soon so lets buy top talent and pay the money. Nobody is going to care about fees when we are crowned champions.

Like others have said with Van Dijk, we can play the back 3 more often and then go for quality full backs in the summer.

I believe he could be the difference in winning the league this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.