Virgil van Dijk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hah ha ha £50M. Ridiculous. Mind you we set the trend in paying that for stones who isn't as good a defender. Gonna get rinsed again.

Southamton set up totally different to us, he will have to learn quickly one mistake and whoever will be through on our goalie. Money wise not arsed the fee if he improves us.

Of course, how can he be expected to do well in the Premier League when he's only been doing it for 2 seasons?

If he comes in and we play 3 at the back, he'd be the most experienced defender we'd have. Because he would be the only one to have experience in the system.

He's got experience keeping clean sheets against Leicester, something none of our "experienced at the top level" defenders could muster.

I'm not enamoured with the huge price tag, but Van Dijk has league experience, playing in the sort of system we want, and is a leader in defence. He's fast, strong, tall (which we need) and ticks all the boxes on the ball as well as his defending.

If you sit around looking for a defender that's got years and years of experience at "the top level" they aren't gettable, or they are so old it's a short term fix and we're looking to build a team for the next 5 years +

I agree with a lot of what you say regarding his attributes, but again would say he doesn't have enough experience. I want a player next to stones who has experience playing against the very best in Europe. Starting stones and van dijk together means we will have two players with little experience against the best. That's a big problem for me. Plus I don't believe a CB will fix all our woes like some do but we may have no choice but to spend on one thanks to vinnie's injuries and assuming Aleks is out the door.

If we're going for the title and CL this has to happen. There is no way we will come close to either with our current centre half pairings. VVD will be the new Kompany. He's been immense this season VVD and Stones will be our long-term centre halfs. That will free up Kolorav to fight for a full back place. Our full backs are good emough until next Summer, when 2 can be brought in.

Our full backs on the left are no where near good & consistent enough.Think we need to sort that then see how Ota and Stones do.

Our full backs on the left are no where near good & consistent enough.Think we need to sort that then see how Ota and Stones do.

I agree...we could spend 100mil on CB position but without upgrade at the fullback position, we'll still leak lots of goals...will never understand why Txiki seems happy with that position...you only need to watch film to see the issues...

I agree...we could spend 100mil on CB position but without upgrade at the fullback position, we'll still leak lots of goals...will never understand why Txiki seems happy with that position...you only need to watch film to see the issues...

Not sure I would trust Txiki to get the right LB tbh but thats a whole other story.

Sheikh Mansour must be a very understanding man.

If Pellegrini or Guardiola had asked him for fullbacks then we'd have new fullbacks, it's really that simple.

Not sure I would trust Txiki to get the right LB tbh but thats a whole other story.

Sheikh Mansour must be a very understanding man.
Not very understanding, he just sees a bigger picture, if he has doubts about Txiki he'll be replaced, if he isnt replaced, its because in the opinion of the owners, who judge his performance on his whole remit, he's done a good job. That simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.