Virgil van Dijk

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me there are similarities between the two players (and I did and still do rate Mangala). If Guardiola highly rates him then fair enough.

Last edited:
van Dijk seems another pace and power type of player and put him in our system and he will struggle big time. It is probably one of the reasons why we have got rid of Mangala and really struggled under Pellegrini.

Van Dijk is far more comfortable with the ball at his feet than Mangala ever was. I'd be happy as Larry if we sign him when the window opens. Get in there quick before Klopp starts sniffing around

Van Dijk is far more comfortable with the ball at his feet than Mangala ever was. I'd be happy as Larry if we sign him when the window opens. Get in there quick before Klopp starts sniffing around

Agree on Mangala not being comfortable on the ball but they are similar types of when it comes to actual defending imo.

Agree on Managala not being comfortable on the ball but they are similar types of when it comes to defending imo.
You said VvD would struggle though,which,because he is far more comfortable in possession,reads the game well and,unlike Mangala,can actually play football......i dont believe he would.

Him and Mangala might both be powerful athletes,but similar in ability they deinitely are not.

Mangala was having similar types of performances to van Djik at Porto to be fair (along with Fernando).

Mangala was having similar types of performances to van Djik at Porto to be fair (along with Fernando).
Mangala was along way from the finished product while playing for Porto,while always the power house,he was often unpredictable and rash in his defending,he was bought by City very much for his potential and in the hope the creases in his game could be ironed out.

Mangala was along way from the finished product while playing for Porto,while always the power house,he was often unpredictable and rash in his defending,he was bought by City very much for his potential and in the hope the creases in his game could be ironed out.

True the same can be said of van Dijk (a player who is going to cost more than we had paid for Mangala)

What you're getting here is a top class centre back at the perfect age with pace , power , aerial ability , great game reading , leadership qualities and excellent technical skills.

There is a premium to be paid for this type of player as they are as rare as rocking horse shit , I raved about him on here whilst at us ( Celtic ) as him and Denayer was the best CB pairing I ever watched for us. He had been linked with a lot of interest from down south but only the saints wanted to take a punt , now he's the best centre back in the league within a very short space of time and stat wise he was one of the highest rated in europe last season. Anytime the ability clearly stands out then there should be no hesitation in signing players because waiting a season or two costs another £20 million.

And it's been this 'actual defending' that has been our Achilles heel this season, again. We have little pace, little bulk and no height to speak of in any permutation of a back four.

We have got the pace as Otamendi as is no slouch but we have quite got the intellegence to go with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.