Was Gareth Barry the Player You Expected?

Little to choose between him and DeJong. Their best asset is the ability to stop opponents, De Jong is better at that. Neither contribute much to our attacks, Barry edges that one but it's such a marginal contribution it makes little difference to our play. Both tend to play short sideways passes, the difference being, De Jongs passes tend to result in safe possession as the vast majority of them go to a teammate in space, whereas Barry often looks desperate to offload the ball so is happy to pass to a teammate who'll immediately be closed down.

If I had to choose one of them it'd be De Jong.

No, overall I've been pretty disappointed

Best game I've seen him play this season was in an England Shirt, which is frustrating

I'm hoping he has a better second season (like Malouda at Chelsea, who from memory was not great in his first season either)

cleavers said:
the goats backside said:
I can understand that, was just trying to say maybe its the people around GB that dont suit his style of play

Conversely maybe GB doesn't suit the style of play of players around him.
Not surprising really considering the way the squad was assembled, it's seems to have been purely based on prem experience and availability with no consideration for building a team. Barry is the prime example if this poor strategy, we'd already bought De Jong and Kompany, did we really need yet another ball winning midfielder?
Hopefully Mancini augments the squad with players we're actually lacking.

sweep said:
Little to choose between him and DeJong. Their best asset is the ability to stop opponents, De Jong is better at that. Neither contribute much to our attacks, Barry edges that one but it's such a marginal contribution it makes little difference to our play. Both tend to play short sideways passes, the difference being, De Jongs passes tend to result in safe possession as the vast majority of them go to a teammate in space, whereas Barry often looks desperate to offload the ball so is happy to pass to a teammate who'll immediately be closed down.

you may be surprised but though out the whole season barry has been the more consistent passer and tackler in most if not all games he has played along side de jong

I think he has done OK no more than that, I feel it has stemmed from the Villa away game, He was great at Blackburn away and I thought a great signing. bBut wasnt he at Villa all his career until he came to us then he went back and got the stick from the crowd it affected him a lot he just hasnt been the same player, have a feeling that will happen to Gerrard if he leaves liverpool for another premiership team.
I think Barry will be a better player next season now he has been with us for a while.

Barry has been the biggest head wrecker out of the signings this season. So inconsistance it is a joke. He can be playing a cracker against Chelsea and then get dominated by the lesser teams. He hasnt added a lot to the team if I am honest. As others have said him and De Jong should not be paired together get nothing from them and De Jong gives more defensively than Barry and I would have De Jong in the team before him.
He has lost what bit of speed he had and I dont think he is mobile enough to get around the pitch in the big games. I wouldnt get rid of him as he would be a good squad member. I think he may well be used next season more so as a left back with him and Bridge fighting it out for that spot. Depending on who we bring in for the middle and defence I cant see him being a first pick all the time anymore.

No, I thought he was over rated at Villa butnow realise what a good player he is. Fact is though is that both he and De Jong cannot play in a 2 man midfield and i'd rather have Barry as he offers more. If we get in a good quality creative/attackive midfielder for next season to play alongside Barry he will be even better.

leewill31 said:
sweep said:

you may be surprised but though out the whole season barry has been the more consistent passer and tackler in most if not all games he has played along side de jong

Considering most of people are saying DeJong and Barry can't play together, both of our managers for last season picked them as first choice. With only Ireland or Vieira as possible alternatives. We`re the richest club in the world but with no real competion for places in the midfield.
I rate both players but they have their limitations, but they`re both regular first choices for their countries.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.