"Watching Football Is Not A Crime" - Etihad, Thurs 7.30pm

Re: Watching Football Is Not A Crime, Manchester at the Etihad

Sigh said:
In unrelated news, The Reformed Bolshevik Front of White Russia is hosting a conference in Minsk from March the 22nd to March the 24th to affirm the propositions that the accumulation and trading of capital is in the best interests of the industrial class and that capitalists are not criminals.

Yes, heard that one too, Garry Cook and Ken Bates are the main speakers.

I would have loved to be able to attend this and ask why we cannot create smoking areas for level one at different parts of the ground (similar to those at many other grounds like Derby County) to stop the hand wringing posts on here once a month about smoking in the bogs.

law74 said:
I would have loved to be able to attend this and ask why we cannot create smoking areas for level one at different parts of the ground (similar to those at many other grounds like Derby County) to stop the hand wringing posts on here once a month about smoking in the bogs.

I think the problem with that (someone correct me if I am wrong) is in theory, the whole Sport City site being council owned is smoke free - of course implementing that law when 40 odd thousand are walking within the site is impossible - but at the same time, the council wouldn't permit a smoking area on the site so fans would have to leave and go onto the main road to smoke. I just can't see them allowing a great number of fans to leave at half time to do that (and what about away fans too?)
Are fans allowed to smoke at the bar area in City Square? (never had a pint there so don't know)

However, what could be asked on the night, is why are music fans permitted to smoke at the stadium during a concert hassle free from stewards. The answer will be it is very hard to enforce. For those standing on the pitch yes it is hard to enforce, but why is it any harder to enforce it on music fans in the seated area?

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
law74 said:

I think the problem with that (someone correct me if I am wrong) is in theory, the whole Sport City site being council owned is smoke free - of course implementing that law when 40 odd thousand are walking within the site is impossible - but at the same time, the council wouldn't permit a smoking area on the site so fans would have to leave and go onto the main road to smoke. I just can't see them allowing a great number of fans to leave at half time to do that (and what about away fans too?)
Are fans allowed to smoke at the bar area in City Square? (never had a pint there so don't know)

Not a problem at all in City Square or anywhere around the stadium.

1.618034 said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
law74 said:

So by that, I take it you mean it is ''tolerated'' rather than ''allowed''. If that is the case then that's a good comeback to anyone saying a space outside cannot be created. The council cannot say ''no smoking on council premises / property - with the exception of ****. It's either banned everywhere or not. Though again, H&S will be used in terms of numbers wishing to leave for a cig.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
1.618034 said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:

So by that, I take it you mean it is ''tolerated'' rather than ''allowed''. If that is the case then that's a good comeback to anyone saying a space outside cannot be created. The council cannot say ''no smoking on council premises / property - with the exception of ****. It's either banned everywhere or not. Though again, H&S will be used in terms of numbers wishing to leave for a cig.

It's not just tolerated, it's allowed. No signs, no problem. They can't stop you smoking in the open air, yet.

Sigh said:
In unrelated news, The Reformed Bolshevik Front of White Russia is hosting a conference in Minsk from March the 22nd to March the 24th to affirm the propositions that the accumulation and trading of capital is in the best interests of the industrial class and that capitalists are not criminals.

But yer still freeze yer bollox off in Minsk in March! I would have in fer that come May or June!

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
law74 said:

However, what could be asked on the night, is why are music fans permitted to smoke at the stadium during a concert hassle free from stewards. The answer will be it is very hard to enforce. For those standing on the pitch yes it is hard to enforce, but why is it any harder to enforce it on music fans in the seated area?

I have had a smoke at City Square any time I have been there with no problems from stewards, and while the council could in theory place problems with creating smoking areas, with the regeneration of East Manchester that MCFC and our great owners are planning, would the council want to annoy them?
The area is i would imagine already fairly extensively covered by CCTV so stewarding would not be a major issue and the club would already have some of the fences required from the back of the North Stand Maine Road, cheap to implement and no smokers in the bogs, no children having to breath in second hand smoke, no parents having to pass one toilet to go to another, supporters being catered for and the amount of pints sold could well rise as there are still quite a few Blues that enjoy a smoke with a pint, so could even be self financing.
Win Win all round

law74 said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
law74 said:

I have had a smoke at City Square any time I have been there with no problems from stewards, and while the council could in theory place problems with creating smoking areas, with the regeneration of East Manchester that MCFC and our great owners are planning, would the council want to annoy them?
The area is i would imagine already fairly extensively covered by CCTV so stewarding would not be a major issue and the club would already have some of the fences required from the back of the North Stand Maine Road, cheap to implement and no smokers in the bogs, no children having to breath in second hand smoke, no parents having to pass one toilet to go to another, supporters being catered for and the amount of pints sold could well rise as there are still quite a few Blues that enjoy a smoke with a pint, so could even be self financing.
Win Win all round

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, just looking at it from a different angle, or the council's angle. Their stance is no smoking on council property. Legally can they relax such a rule at one such area but not others?

Back on the topic of the meeting this Thursday, Amanda tells me only the last dozen or so places are left.

can I bring my dog back in now?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.