Watching sport in Ultra HD

There is a huge difference between true UHD and FHD, but it depends on the feed you get (i don't have Sky so can't really say for that) and the TV you have along with your setup for that TV. I have a 55" LG OLED and with true HDR at 10bit and higher or Dolby Vision you will be able to see the difference immediately, the bright colours pop out and the darks are, well, darker, but its all dependent on how much you really care. I have just got myself an XF9005 LED TV in 65" and where it doesn't match the blacks of my OLED, it's much brighter which is perfect for the room i've put it in, i find sport much more enjoyable to watch on that than the OLED. But i'm a nerd and i like that kind of stuff, is it really worth it for the regular person who doesn't really care that much? I'd probably say no depending on the costs.

I’ve got it but can’t see that much difference over normal HD - but I’m an old c**t with failing eyes ...

There is a difference depending on the source. The first few matches i watched in UHD v HD didn't really impress me detail wise. It was the colours that popped more, especially oranges and reds.
Then i had to watch a few matches in HD, and it is then that i noticed the difference more. My eyes were looking for detail that just wasn't there.
Overall, it is the source that makes most difference. Good quality HD, can be be better than poor UHD etc...

Thanks for the replies.

For live sport your TV probably matters more, how it renders the images, how good it's engine is etc. Personally i think your tv will upscale 1080p just fine for live sports. 4k comes into it's own with good transfers from the masters of films. Some films are mastered in different resolution to, so 4k, 6k, 8k and all with differing results. What lens was used and a whole lot of other stuff.

Only about 50% of movies brought out in 4k have genuine 4k detail. In fact ngu sharp can upscale hd to 4k really really well to as a software algorithm.`

What size is your screen and what brand is your tv ?

I've currently got a Sony Bravia 55" and sit approx 9 feet away, rarely watch films, mainly sport. With both Sky and BT broadcasting UHD for Football, Rugby, Cricket and Golf which all get watched, been considering switching the TV for 4k UHD since getting Sky Q. I might hold off though having seen ITV and the BBC won't broadcast this years Rugby World Cup in UHD.

@brummie blue The bravia engine is very very good, probably the best. If i was in your position i would hold off bud. For your viewing habits and setup the difference is very very small if any at all. The bravia engine is very good at upscaling if you wish to enable such settings.

@brummie blue The bravia engine is very very good, probably the best. If i was in your position i would hold off bud. For your viewing habits and setup the difference is very very small if any at all. The bravia engine is very good at upscaling if you wish to enable such settings.

Many thanks mate, when you mention settings, do you mean the the picture resolution on the Sky Q box, which is set to 1080p, but also gives the 2160p option for UHD, or are there setting on the TV I should explore

Bought the top of the range Bravia around 6 years ago now, spent well over £2K on it and to this day the picture with a fantastic source is as good as you can get and thats 1080P.

No rush whatsoever to buy a 4k tv.

Many thanks mate, when you mention settings, do you mean the the picture resolution on the Sky Q box, which is set to 1080p, but also gives the 2160p option for UHD, or are there setting on the TV I should explore
It may have an upscaling setting. This will make the tv cpu take the frames, analyze them and take the input, say 1080p and create a 2160p output to the display. I can explain exactly what it does if it helps get your head around it all, just say and i'll get my essay head on :-D

Bought the top of the range Bravia around 6 years ago now, spent well over £2K on it and to this day the picture with a fantastic source is as good as you can get and thats 1080P.

No rush whatsoever to buy a 4k tv.

Until it breaks i doubt you will need to boss. Sony's imaging sensors and scaling algorithms they use in bravia setups are industry leaders. In the general commercial sector you probably can't get better barring some borderline "super high end" stuff which is close to custom and you ain't getting change out of 10k type stuff.

The only TV worth getting above a top end bravia if you love your deep perfect blacks is a second hand kuro but good luck finding one that is legit and in sound condition.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.