Watford (H) Post Match Thread

Best thing I did was stop looking at the match threads from as soon as the team is announced from that moment on it goes downhill. I do occasionally have a glance and have got sucked in. But in the main better to stay well away even when we win there isn't really much helpful in there and some are still moaning , and causing rows.

I think the only time I've looked at the match thread is on the very rare occasion that I've not been able to watch a match live, either in person or on TV/ live stream.

Is it me or do we make less speedy breakaways than we used to. It's seems when we have the opportunity to move forward quickly when we breakdown the opposition attacks we seem to wait a few seconds and the chance has gone?
Not sure we have the energy at present to do these breakaways anymore. Sergio seems to be the biggest culprit, lost a lot of his pace these days.

Is it me or do we make less speedy breakaways than we used to. It's seems when we have the opportunity to move forward quickly when we breakdown the opposition attacks we seem to wait a few seconds and the chance has gone?
Conservation of energy, those breaks only feature 2 or 3 players as we're ahead in games, if we needed a goal you'd see 6 or 7 players breaking and a better conversion rate.

Not sure we have the energy at present to do these breakaways anymore. Sergio seems to be the biggest culprit, lost a lot of his pace these days.

Think it's more that the passes from midfield have slowed down. With KDB missing and David not quite himself those early passes have not come off. Bernardo and Gundogan, whilst great players, don't come with the same range of defence-splitting passes in my opinion.

A pity that this one decision has overshadowed yet another teams attempt to kill a football match. We were playing against a mid table Premiership team not a league one side yet there only plan was to stifle and strangle the life out of the game. Not sure what I would think of my team if they applied that approach to a game. Bournemouth did the same last week and were at home!!
15/16 years ago, when we tried to play football against Arsenal/Liverpool but lost, some of the printed media would say 'City got what they deserved - nothing' or 'Liverpool put City in their place'. Boot's on the other foot now, but we don't get the same praise as the 'All our yesterdays' clubs.

Not sure he was ever super quick on a 40 yard getaway up the field, more of a come alive over 5-10 player for me
Totally agree, 10-15 yard bursts in and around the box is his territory. You never see him go flat out (probably because of injuries) but I always get the impression there's a few more mph under his belt. Don't forget, he's been playing with a knee injury for years and the op has freed him up - much more lateral movement now.

Thought Sterling was offside at the time when watching so when i got home i watched the game again, and the linesman is not in the right position but can easily see Sterling offside, but he does not raise his flag until the ball is about 2 feet from the goal, surely he should have raised his flag when Sterling became active? or is it just a case of if the ball would not have gone in the net Sterling would not have been active?

Think it's more that the passes from midfield have slowed down. With KDB missing and David not quite himself those early passes have not come off. Bernardo and Gundogan, whilst great players, don't come with the same range of defence-splitting passes in my opinion.
Yeah I think this somewhat too. Although I think it's a combination of Kev's passing and his ability to power through and run with the ball i.e launch a counter on foot. Gundogan's got a great pass on him, but he's not the strongest runner, a bit like David. Bernardo can run as well as anyone with the ball but he's still developing creatively. He's not there yet by any means but I actually think Mahrez is the closest direct replacement in this specific regard; he's also got the experience from his Leicester days.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.