we are 8-1 4th favourite for the drop..

de niro said:
jimharri said:
de niro said:
well firstly we were very very unlucky in those games, secondly no one is saying hughes was flawless, i'm saying neither was mancini.
the assisination of hughes on here 3 years on is quite honestly embarrassing.
You're wasting your time Bill. Most people on here are deeply prejudiced against Hughes. I gave up trying to defend parts of his reign, as it is a pointless exercise in futility. There's none so blind as those that can't/won't see. Let it go Bill; your blood pressure will thank you for it!

i dont like injustice jim, yes we have an upgarde on hughes but [b]the venom is actually there because of his utd connections,[/b] it was from the start with some. the thing is they probably never even went to see us play.

as i say, embarrassing.
You know that, and I know that. The thing is though; it isn't going to change. The hatred is that deeply ingrained now, that it is impossible for people to see anything but bad in Hughes. There are several managers in our history that were far worse for our club than Hughes ever was (including a world cup winner), but they get merely a fraction of the abuse that Hughes got/gets. Yes, Mancini is a vast improvement on Hughes; Stevie Wonder could see that, but MH isn't anywhere even close to being our worst manager. Ah well; c'est la vie. Onwards and upwards. It was nice to bump into you before the QPR game.

jimharri said:
de niro said:
jimharri said:
You're wasting your time Bill. Most people on here are deeply prejudiced against Hughes. I gave up trying to defend parts of his reign, as it is a pointless exercise in futility. There's none so blind as those that can't/won't see. Let it go Bill; your blood pressure will thank you for it!

i dont like injustice jim, yes we have an upgarde on hughes but [b]the venom is actually there because of his utd connections,[/b] it was from the start with some. the thing is they probably never even went to see us play.

as i say, embarrassing.
You know that, and I know that. The thing is though; it isn't going to change. The hatred is that deeply ingrained now, that it is impossible for people to see anything but bad in Hughes. There are several managers in our history that were far worse for our club than Hughes ever was (including a world cup winner), but they get merely a fraction of the abuse that Hughes got/gets. Yes, Mancini is a vast improvement on Hughes; Stevie Wonder could see that, but MH isn't anywhere even close to being our worst manager. Ah well; c'est la vie. Onwards and upwards. It was nice to bump into you before the QPR game.

you are right jim, blind fuckers, fuck em.

de niro said:
jimharri said:
de niro said:

as i say, embarrassing.

Blind? He took Sven's team, spend 150m and finished lower in the league and got less points. Maybe you're all blindly bumming him and not looking at the evidence of what he actually did.

de niro said:
city diehard said:
de niro said:
you have the wrong guy, i was negative about him being negative, which he was, in fact pathetically so. i have never said he'd not win us out, in fact i went to a fans forum and put him straight :) once he'd got a grasp of the prem he's been outstanding.

Just airing the jumped up pundits of this world opinions, it was how we won games not case of being negative teams just didn't appreciate the status quo being disturbed.

-- Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:24 pm --

mammyjam said:
I'd argue that sparky's results were very consistent... Just a shame they were consistently draws

Drawing at home v Burnley, Hull and Fulham were clear highlights to enjoy under Sparkless, De Niro?

well firstly we were very very unlucky in those games, secondly no one is saying hughes was flawless, i'm saying neither was mancini.
the assisination of hughes on here 3 years on is quite honestly embarrassing.

FA Cup and the title says otherwise.

Liked Hughes but he was a couple of levels below what was needed to get us were we were heading and were we are now, no shame in that, about 99 percent of Managers would not be up to it, its the difference that you get with the Mancini's, Mourinho's and Purple Nose.

Still think he played an important part and good luck to him, but City as a club have moved on, think we as City fans should too.

Shaelumstash said:
de niro said:
jimharri said:

Blind? He took Sven's team, spend 150m and finished lower in the league and got less points. Maybe you're all blindly bumming him and not looking at the evidence of what he actually did.

It's nothing to do with that. Nobody is saying he was perfect, but a lot of the stick he gets goes far over the top because a lot of people had preconceived ideas based on his playing career. People who presumably thought he was in stitches when Owen scored in the 95th minute.

You are also quoting the season before he was sacked I think, at the time of sacking he had lost 2 games that season off memory.

Don't take this as a pro Hughes comment - although I thought it was very low treatment of him I am not naive to the fact we have gone on to win the league and both Sheff Wed and Huddersfield this season have done similar things and reached their goals.

It's just about saying some people should lay off him a bit.

Citizen52 said:
Shaelumstash said:
de niro said:

It's nothing to do with that. Nobody is saying he was perfect, but a lot of the stick he gets goes far over the top because a lot of people had preconceived ideas based on his playing career. People who presumably thought he was in stitches when Owen scored in the 95th minute.

You are also quoting the season before he was sacked I think, at the time of sacking he had lost 2 games that season off memory.

Don't take this as a pro Hughes comment - although I thought it was very low treatment of him I am not naive to the fact we have gone on to win the league and both Sheff Wed and Huddersfield this season have done similar things and reached their goals.

Yes that was the season before he got sacked, that was his only full season, so the only one on which he can be properly judged. In my opinion Hughes was a huge step backwards from Sven.

If Mancini had taken over Sven's team and spent the money, there is no chance we would have gone backwards like we did under Lesley. Even in his second season, although we'd only lost twice, we were so bad defensively it was embarrassing. He was playing SWP as one of 3 central midfielders, his naivety was incredible.

I actually think Hughes is a good man, and I think he gave his best for us. Unfortunately his best wasn't good enough. Also, the argument about his "immoral" sacking and his sense of injustice is ridiculous.

Kaldoon flew over to dismiss him in person because he didn't want to do it over the phone. If anything, he was trying to do it the "right" way. The fact it leaked out that Mancini was getting the job was unfortunate, but the media storm afterwards was so one sided and biased against City it was absolutely pathetic.

Shaelumstash said:
Citizen52 said:
Shaelumstash said:

Yes that was the season before he got sacked, that was his only full season, so the only one on which he can be properly judged. In my opinion Hughes was a huge step backwards from Sven.

If Mancini had taken over Sven's team and spent the money, there is no chance we would have gone backwards like we did under Lesley. Even in his second season, although we'd only lost twice, we were so bad defensively it was embarrassing. He was playing SWP as one of 3 central midfielders, his naivety was incredible.

I actually think Hughes is a good man, and I think he gave his best for us. Unfortunately his best wasn't good enough. Also, the argument about his "immoral" sacking and his sense of injustice is ridiculous.

Kaldoon flew over to dismiss him in person because he didn't want to do it over the phone. If anything, he was trying to do it the "right" way. The fact it leaked out that Mancini was getting the job was unfortunate, but the media storm afterwards was so one sided and biased against City it was absolutely pathetic.

For what it's worth I thought putting a mid 30s full back in Sylvinho against Lennon in that 3-0 loss was naive in the extreme, not surprising we got hammered that night. I think the only protection Sylvinho had was Robinho on the left flank, who was hardly likely to track back. It was suicide really.

The Hughes thing for me, it's like I say he'd only lost 2 games that season, like Lee Clark had a similar thing over about 50 for Huddersfield this season, I didn't agree with either sacking at the time but with hindsight they have been proven to be right it just does my head in a bit the amount of shit he gets on here.

That being said I thought things were going backwards under Sven the last few months.

Football fans eh? :)

Citizen52 said:
Shaelumstash said:
Citizen52 said:

For what it's worth I thought putting a mid 30s full back in Sylvinho against Lennon in that 3-0 loss was naive in the extreme, not surprising we got hammered that night. I think the only protection Sylvinho had was Robinho on the left flank, who was hardly likely to track back. It was suicide really.

The Hughes thing for me, it's like I say he'd only lost 2 games that season, like Lee Clark had a similar thing over about 50 for Huddersfield this season, I didn't agree with either sacking at the time but with hindsight they have been proven to be right it just does my head in a bit the amount of shit he gets on here.

That being said I thought things were going backwards under Sven the last few months.

You are right about only losing twice, but we'd also only won 2 out of 11!!! We were in 6th when he left, level points with 8th if memory serves me correctly. The 7 draws on the spin was also ridiculous, including 3-3 at home to Burnely. If you draw every game and don't lose any, you go down.

I agree after xmas under Sven we were going backwards. The difference was Sven changed the way we played to a more modern, possession game, the whole philosophy of how we played was dragged in to the 21st century after the disgrace that was Pearce's final season. And he had about 2 weeks to bring his players in.

But when Hughes came in, he got rid of the ball players Sven brought in, threw away the possession style of football, for a hard working, fast breaking, up and down style. It was like going backwards ten years. It was no wonder Robinho got slaughtered by some on here, he was being asked to cover the same amount of yards as Craig Bellamy. Funny how Bellamy never got the criticism of not being able to unlock a defence like Robinho could, but that was the direction Hughes was taking us - backwards.

Mancini's style is much more like Sven's. Possession football, where the defensive stability relies on shape and tactical discipline as opposed to hard yards and work rate. Imagine David Silva under Hughes being asked to defend the edge of our box and then counter attack at one hundred miles an hour, with no emphasis on keeping the ball, then having to sprint back and "muck in".

Silva works incredibly hard under Mancini, and the team defends fantastically well as a unit, and keeps possession. But Hughes wasn't clever enough to organise a team like that. He expected box to box runners for 90 minutes all over the park, as if we were United in 1994. The game has moved on, and the sooner Lesley and his fan club realises that, the better.

Shaelumstash said:
Citizen52 said:
Shaelumstash said:

You are right about only losing twice, but we'd also only won 2 out of 11!!! We were in 6th when he left, level points with 8th if memory serves me correctly. The 7 draws on the spin was also ridiculous, including 3-3 at home to Burnely. If you draw every game and don't lose any, you go down.

I agree after xmas under Sven we were going backwards. The difference was Sven changed the way we played to a more modern, possession game, the whole philosophy of how we played was dragged in to the 21st century after the disgrace that was Pearce's final season. And he had about 2 weeks to bring his players in.

But when Hughes came in, he got rid of the ball players Sven brought in, threw away the possession style of football, for a hard working, fast breaking, up and down style. It was like going backwards ten years. It was no wonder Robinho got slaughtered by some on here, he was being asked to cover the same amount of yards as Craig Bellamy. Funny how Bellamy never got the criticism of not being able to unlock a defence like Robinho could, but that was the direction Hughes was taking us - backwards.

Mancini's style is much more like Sven's. Possession football, where the defensive stability relies on shape and tactical discipline as opposed to hard yards and work rate. Imagine David Silva under Hughes being asked to defend the edge of our box and then counter attack at one hundred miles an hour, with no emphasis on keeping the ball, then having to sprint back and "muck in".

Silva works incredibly hard under Mancini, and the team defends fantastically well as a unit, and keeps possession. But Hughes wasn't clever enough to organise a team like that. He expected box to box runners for 90 minutes all over the park, as if we were United in 1994. The game has moved on, and the sooner Lesley and his fan club realises that, the better.

Agreed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.