We don´t deserve Roberto

What he did in Italy is totally irrelevant , Different country and to all intents and purposes a different game/mentality.............Scolari won the World Cup .......Didnt cut it with Chelsea though ..

blucat599 said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
No you don't get it because you've ignored what I've said and gone off at a completely irrelevant tangent. Are you happy with what you're seeing at the moment? Yes or No.
But PB he is not ignoring what you are saying, we have won 5 out of 8 games under Mancini, we were drawing against bottom half teams under Hughes, it's just if's and but's what you are saying, that Villa/ Spurs have dropped points, but "if" they hadn't, ...
the fact is they have, so they have their own problem, equal or greater than ours,
And you won't say why you are judging Mancini after less than 2 months.
We are in 4th spot NOW, let us lose 3 or 4 games and drop down to 9th before you get so worked up, it hasn't happened yet!
We don't know what Hughes would have done if he'd still been here. We don't know what Mancini would have done if he'd been here from the sart of the season. So there's no point speculating.

You do need time as a manager to build a team. That's unarguable. and Hughes came in at the tail-end of the Thaksin regime, which was nearly disastrous for us as a club so he had that to contend with. But he had built a better squad (and anyone who thinks he hadn't is seriously deluded). It certainly wasn't perfect (which is why managers need time) but it was up there. All Mancini needed to do was a bit of tinkering to try to fix the problems but he's created a whole set of new ones we didn't even know we had.

We do know that most teams, even those in the top 4, have bad spells where they drop points against much weaker teams. But they don't sack their managers for it and that's not why Hughes was sacked. No one is arguing that Hughes didn't have deficiencies as a manager. His team could attack but couldn't defend so there's no problem with the forwards. Now Mancini's team can defend better but can't attack. We're creating no more than two real chances a game at the moment. That's why I'm judging him. If he's such a proven winner, as people keep saying, then why can't he see that?

CHT said:
What he did in Italy is totally irrelevant , Different country and to all intents and purposes a different game/mentality.............Scolari won the World Cup .......Didnt cut it with Chelsea though ..

I agree.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Sun Jihai's ghost said:
Agreed. Some people are still so far up Hughes arse that they cant bear to see Mancini do well.
The Hughes-Outers don't get it. Hughes has gone, whatever any of us who wanted him to be given to the end of the season think. The only thing we see is what's on the pitch now and that is utter and complete dross. A fluent, attacking team playing like a bunch of clueless statues, players not performing and nil entertainment value.

Yes we're currently 4th but we owe that position to three things:
1) We had a "new manager bounce" for a few games. We even had that under Pearce, the very definition of cluelessness.
2) We haven't played a team above 12th place under Mancini.
3) The teams around us dropping points. We picked up 16 out of 24 under Mancini whereas Spurs picked up 10/24 and Villa 9/21. If they'd been less inconsistent then we'd be well adrift in 6th.

Carry on like we have been and we'll be lucky to get a Europa Cup place let alone top 4.

AGREED

Prestwich_Blue said:
We don't know what Hughes would have done if he'd still been here. We don't know what Mancini would have done if he'd been here from the sart of the season. So there's no point speculating.

You do need time as a manager to build a team. That's unarguable. and Hughes came in at the tail-end of the Thaksin regime, which was nearly disastrous for us as a club so he had that to contend with. But he had built a better squad (and anyone who thinks he hadn't is seriously deluded). It certainly wasn't perfect (which is why managers need time) but it was up there. All Mancini needed to do was a bit of tinkering to try to fix the problems but he's created a whole set of new ones we didn't even know we had.

We do know that most teams, even those in the top 4, have bad spells where they drop points against much weaker teams. But they don't sack their managers for it and that's not why Hughes was sacked. No one is arguing that Hughes didn't have deficiencies as a manager. His team could attack but couldn't defend so there's no problem with the forwards. Now Mancini's team can defend better but can't attack. We're creating no more than two real chances a game at the moment. That's why I'm judging him. If he's such a proven winner, as people keep saying, then why can't he see that?

There are a lot of things we don't know as you rightly point out, yet you are happy to speculate about Tottenham and Villa dropping/not dropping points and where we'll finish in the league?

You point out we are defending better. Another poster points out we have won 5 out of 8. So we are harder to beat and are winning games. OK, it's not pretty , we are basically playing a form of cacionetto from what I can see and winning pretty ugly at times in spite of a wobble in results.

So what is the real issue? Is it we are not destroying teams and playing like Barcelona? Are we just uncomfortable with winning games?

I normally agree with most of your posts (except about Mrs T!) but this isn't one of them. I get confused about us as fans sometimes, and to borrow a business phrase, I wonder are we scared of success?

It just proves that shoring up, is a more complicated business than you'd think, you have to change the whole system and it affects the team from front to back!
he's trying to stiffen our resolve as a team before he can go out and play free form attacking style, he knows how to attack, but will need more time to change the system and shape.
If we are 4th at the end of the season PB, he will have succeeded, it's a results business, I think we need to win the "4th place decider" because only when we start winning games like this on a regular basis, can we consider ourselve "big"

Roberto has more to offer us than any previous manager and having to take over the pile of rubbish bought by Hughes is a work of art i n man management.

If he had been with us prior to the buying spree of 200 million ...I would think Maicon ...Lahmn ...plus top CB s ..a creative /attacking mid field ...and a world class strike .

So with luck he will get rid of the following ....Santa Cruz.17..Abbie.25.Zab.7..Toure .12.Robbie..32 million...thats 93 worth of rubbish for starters....he might get 10illion..20 million..4 million..6 million..20 million...maybe 60 million. Bellemy 10 ..Lescott 14. as reserves for the chop.

The man has talent ,class ,a top mind set. Lets not let him go he will win us numerious titles /cups with his team.

strongbowholic said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

There are a lot of things we don't know as you rightly point out, yet you are happy to speculate about Tottenham and Villa dropping/not dropping points and where we'll finish in the league?

You point out we are defending better. Another poster points out we have won 5 out of 8. So we are harder to beat and are winning games. OK, it's not pretty , we are basically playing a form of cacionetto from what I can see and winning pretty ugly at times in spite of a wobble in results.

So what is the real issue? Is it we are not destroying teams and playing like Barcelona? Are we just uncomfortable with winning games?

I normally agree with most of your posts (except about Mrs T!) but this isn't one of them. I get confused about us as fans sometimes, and to borrow a business phrase, I wonder are we scared of success?
Villa & Spurs dropping points is not speculation. It happened and we won games (as did Liverpool). We dropped points under Hughes and they picked them up. Swings and roundabouts.

But let's look at those 5 we won. The first three, Stoke, Wolves & Blackburn were good wins. Maybe it was new manager syndrome or maybe it was actually Mancini getting the balance right. I don't know but 3 good wins out of 3.

Then we got tonked at Everton (and for pretty well the whole 90 minutes). We beat Pompey but we were poor and their finishing was awful. We then lost at Hull, where we took an hour and two goals to get going. We beat another poor team in Bolton but never looked comfortable or in control. We then drew against Stoke, despite the fact that we were on top for most of the first half but only scored via a very lucky goal and created very little else.

That's the real issue.

I'd think we have enough to beat Liverpool, they don't create too many chances and they also like the ball played on the floor, i think it will be an entertaining game and the midfield battle will be fairly even, the team that takes their chances will win this one, I trust Mancini to pick a team that can cause Liverpool problems, if we lose this one I'll be very disappointed, in the players and the manager!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.