We need a United win...

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Gelsons Dad said:
The best result for us when any of the other top teams play each other is a draw. It's simple maths. If we declare that we are no longer challenging for the title then we also declare who we want to win it. From then on that team winning against the other top teams is best. This is the OPs position. It isn't mine. Why concede the title to the Rags in January? As long as we can theoretically win it, that should be our aim. When that is no longer theoretically possible then let's aim for second best. The important thing is to aim for a win every game but be realistic in our expectations and not turn into screaming children when we don't get what we want.

It's a competition and we are in it.

You miss my point. I am talking about the long game. You eliminate battles on more than one front, so you can concentrate on the task in hand.

One more week makes no odds to the reality of the situation we would basically be still two points behind United.

Which is why Mancini sees the bigger picture and your own stance differs.

He didn't see it as setting up to lose two points last night, simply to gain one.

He is correctly picking and choosing our battles.

A team may want to win the Champions League, doesn't stop them from thinking the first leg is only part of the equation.

We are short when it comes to the title, admittedly not as much as I thought we would be a couple months back.

Whilst there is opportunity, there is hope, but ours is a team which is evolving for the battles and years to come.

United's is seemingly one last hurrah from a team which is managed by a genius who cannot live forever.

If we are within four points of the title we will have had a phenomenal season.

Added to what I expect to be at least one trophy.

Agree with this.

We should start worrying about United next season, this season the mission is top four and Spurs are the greater threat to that.

We need to be patient and play the long game. Year 3 of a 10 year plan; top four is the goal. Everybody can see that we aren't quite there yet as a team, but we have enormous potential.

Patience.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Here me out, the grander scheme of things.

Spuds play Manure at White Hart Lane next week, we play Wolves at home.

On the face of it, we always want United to lose and we could do above United with a defeat and a win for us.

But surely a United and City win keeps the current status quo and Spuds would be nine points behind us with a game in hand.

I prefer to look rather than down, Tolm.

A draw would do me for this one, or even a Spurs victory.

We are no worse than United, we have a better squad.

Forget "Small steps", let's grasp the nettle now.

Damocles said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
You miss my point. I am talking about the long game. You eliminate battles on more than one front, so you can concentrate on the task in hand.

One more week makes no odds to the reality of the situation we would basically be still two points behind United.

Which is why Mancini sees the bigger picture and your own stance differs.

He didn't see it as setting up to lose two points last night, simply to gain one.

He is correctly picking and choosing our battles.

A team may want to win the Champions League, doesn't stop them from thinking the first leg is only part of the equation.

We are short when it comes to the title, admittedly not as much as I thought we would be a couple months back.

Whilst there is opportunity, there is hope, but ours is a team which is evolving for the battles and years to come.

United's is seemingly one last hurrah from a team which is managed by a genius who cannot live forever.

If we are within four points of the title we will have had a phenomenal season.

Added to what I expect to be at least one trophy.

Agree with this.

We should start worrying about United next season, this season the mission is top four and Spurs are the greater threat to that.

We need to be patient and play the long game. Year 3 of a 10 year plan; top four is the goal. Everybody can see that we aren't quite there yet as a team, but we have enormous potential.

Patience.

correct we are not there yet,but also everyone can see that all the others are pretty dogshit this season so its there for the taking really

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Here me out, the grander scheme of things.

Spuds play Manure at White Hart Lane next week, we play Wolves at home.

On the face of it, we always want United to lose and we could do above United with a defeat and a win for us.

But surely a United and City win keeps the current status quo and Spuds would be nine points behind us with a game in hand.
no way more teams behind us, equal more teams need to do well and as a result our chances to gain top 4 is bigger

I'm extremely surprised Tolmie has seemingly conceded the Premiership to the rags... especially after his posts suggesting that we had to stop thinking of ourselves as liddle cideh.

As Bob the Builder might have quipped...Can we win it? Yes we can.

So until then let's concentrate on that rather than being happy for the consolation prize.

"Being happy with being second means that's all you'll ever achieve..."
Hitler. Berlin 1945.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.