We probably won't qualify for the next stage of the CL so...

LoveCity said:
Europa League! Enough of the elitist attitude towards it please, something that is exclusively English that we should not subscribe to and something that shows why English clubs never win this competition anymore (Fulham took it seriously and almost got to the final!). If we are unable to cope with 2 or 3 competitions (league, FA Cup, Europa) then we're lacking something and need to learn. Any top club can balance two or three competitions and this whole "they will be tired at weekend!" thing is overrated, have we or United suffered much after our Champions League games yet?

Common sense should be that we go for Europa League - more coefficient points because as it stands we're heading closer to Pot 3 than Pot 1, more European experience in how to play against technically able and quick European sides, more revenue for the club (TV, participation + matchday), and more matches for us fans to enjoy. This whole "avoid Europa to focus on league" thing annoys me, why does it have to be either/or and not both?

Fulham did get to the final didn't they or was that my imagination? Lost to Athletico, I think.

But 3rd and Europa for me too!

If we don't pull off the miracle and qualify for CL group stages, which I still for some reason think we might just do, I would like to see us have a proper crack at this cup...1.Nowt like a European Trophy to add to the growing collection. 2.Helps our coefficient for CL next year. 3. Boosts player belief about our place in Europe and will only help next time round.
Still prefer to get to stage 2 of CL though...that would be brilliant.

Beat Real Madrid and see what happens with Ajax and Dortmund.

If we beat Real Madrid and Ajax take a point at home, then we can go through. It's not that unlikely. I didn't think Ajax were any good, but if they can beat us at home, they can also take points off Dortmund.

Clearly beating Real Madrid when they are really up against will be very difficult

Ronaldo has an injured eye at the moment but odds on he will recover in time

Would we have won our final 6 games last season if we also had to play two Europa League semi finals in April?

Playing two CL semi finals in April whilst also chasing a league title is fair enough. The confidence and momentum gained from being in contention for the CL and PL could offset the fatigue factor. But not the Europa League. The limited prestige from winning the Europa League just doesnt justify the effort required to win it.

Given a choice between the Europa League and FA Cup I'd rather go for the FA Cup, Fewer games, less travelling, weekends apart from replays, similar prestige.

The argument about going for the Europa League in order to boost our co-efficients doesnt really hold water when we are struggling to beat Pot 3 & 4 teams.

It can still be done 2nd place yaya says it can happen but i wouldnt want to bet on it.I wouldnt mind finishing 3rd coz it would still piss that french leader of football michel off he doesnt like us so lets linger a bit longer in europe<br /><br />-- Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:52 pm --<br /><br />
Marvin said:
Beat Real Madrid and see what happens with Ajax and Dortmund.

If we beat Real Madrid and Ajax take a point at home, then we can go through. It's not that unlikely. I didn't think Ajax were any good, but if they can beat us at home, they can also take points off Dortmund.

Clearly beating Real Madrid when they are really up against will be very difficult

Ronaldo has an injured eye at the moment but odds on he will recover in time
Nowt Wrong with Ronaldo he didnt want to play for is country in a friendly

I need the facts before I can answer this, if anyone can assist?

How many coefficient points does winning the league get?

How many does winning the Europa get?

How many would we get for winning both?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.