Weekend break in London.

Has to me. A lot of main pubs in London centre are tourist traps, you are never going to stir up a conversation in them. Find a nice old pub off the beaten track, and there are shit loads of these, and people talk quite happily.

I just don't get the London slagging off. Its a great city with some fantastic pubs and places to visit.

I know you're a Cockney but how on earth can you find London friendlier than other parts of the country?

Tony, Laura, myself and a number of other Blues were all drinking in a South West London pub for Everton Away years back and U****d had the teatime kick off. We stayed in and one Prestwich lad was watching his beloved red bastards. Tony befriended him and he quipped we were the first friendly faces he'd met in London in six months. I ended up buying him a pint.

A man from Ormskirk is the first real connection I had in Newham when I first explored locally. It was a good year before people even bothered with me. You've left London too. I bet you wouldn't recognise East Ham now...

if you go by train then you can get 2 for 1 deals at hundreds of places showing your rail ticket via this site.
School Half term 26-30th October.
Avoid going anywhere like the plague.
The country will probably be in lockdown anyway.

That just made me chuckle. You're pretty much spot on.

One had a 96 badge on his jacket and the Everton fans all wore branded EFC gear. My travel suitcase is plastered in flags of the countries it's been to with me. There's a Turkey sticker on it (before Azerbaijan v Wales) and one Liverpool boy was all like "Istanbul 2005... Best night of me life."

I do have some good friends in London but it felt like a year before I was accepted. People asking my name etc. It was seconds in Wales, Manchester etc.

They do live up to their spitting image puppets that’s for sure!

I know what you mean though. Lived in London for 2 years and whilst the going out after work scene was great, people in general day to day life were pretty suspicious I think.

They do live up to their spitting image puppets that’s for sure!

I know what you mean though. Lived in London for 2 years and whilst the going out after work scene was great, people in general day to day life were pretty suspicious I think.

I was heading to QPR v Swansea to meet some Welsh friends and there was a woman struggling with her suitcase as the escalators were broken.

The staff member couldn't (wouldn't) help her and about fifty people pushed past her at Shepherd's Bush station. I asked her for her attention three times as she was still arguing with him and, when she realised I was speaking to her, went "WHAT?!" I bit my tongue gently and asked her if she wanted a hand with her baggage. She accepted.

Nobody helps people who need it. It was my instinct to stop and assist her. Must have happened ten times to me.

I was heading to QPR v Swansea to meet some Welsh friends and there was a woman struggling with her suitcase as the escalators were broken.

The staff member couldn't (wouldn't) help her and about fifty people pushed past her at Shepherd's Bush station. I asked her for her attention three times as she was still arguing with him and, when she realised I was speaking to her, went "WHAT?!" I bit my tongue gently and asked her if she wanted a hand with her baggage. She accepted.

Nobody helps people who need it. It was my instinct to stop and assist her. Must have happened ten times to me.

Ive had that too. It’s bizarre but a hectic life they lead so easy to keep the blinkers on and just keep moving. I was walking through London last year to get to Paddington Station and I couldn’t believe how many people were still working in offices at 7pm and how many people were only on the train home to Oxford at 8pm, getting off at 9.15. The vast majority were on laptops on the train too. It’s not for me that.

I always stay at the Radisson by Covent Garden. P|etty much everything you need to see on the doorstep or within a short distance.

You fell asleep on the Victoria line?

If premier inn style hotels at £45/night are of interest, there are a fair number near tube stations a bit further out. 25 minutes on the tube to be in the centre.
Made a very quick exit from 'The Chequers' on the High Street one Friday night, the locals were not friendly

Wembley Park Premier Inn.
30 Seconds from a tube station on the Jubilee and Metropolitan line.
20 minutes to the centre.
£49 a night.

Last edited:
I know you're a Cockney but how on earth can you find London friendlier than other parts of the country?

Tony, Laura, myself and a number of other Blues were all drinking in a South West London pub for Everton Away years back and U****d had the teatime kick off. We stayed in and one Prestwich lad was watching his beloved red bastards. Tony befriended him and he quipped we were the first friendly faces he'd met in London in six months. I ended up buying him a pint.

A man from Ormskirk is the first real connection I had in Newham when I first explored locally. It was a good year before people even bothered with me. You've left London too. I bet you wouldn't recognise East Ham now...

I didn't say it was friendlier just the same as anywhere else. Ignore the tourist hot spots and you'll find a decent local with decent people in it.

I don't recognise Middleton either mate...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.