Welcome Julian Alvarez | Signing confirmed on a five-and-a-half year deal

Its reassuring to know that if Haaland does decide to leave us in a few years this guy will be ready to take over.

I honestly think Alvarez has advantage over Haaland:
Pep loves to surprise everyone
He has better technique
Lower ego
A lot things to improve
Can and will play all over the pitch.

Nice project for Pep. Stay tuned.

Can't claim to watch the Argentine league(s) but I do know it is one of the leading football nations in the history of the game and I think the standard there is decent.

Regardless of how good the league Avarez plays in, at 22, he is the top scorer and top ranked player (according to whoscored.com - whose system ranks a certain KDB the best player in the Prem this season.)

Again, forget the opposition but just look at the quality and variety of his strikes in goal.

We won't know just how good he is until he has had time to settle in at City but I think it's more than OK to have high hopes for him.

I can definitely envisage him as Pep's new David Villa.

How many sitters did he miss? How much pressing did he do? None and a lot; if so then the rest is fluff that Pep will mould into a match-winner. Just the small matter of homesickness, playing to strict diktat that Pep demands, and being able to adapt to life in a foreign land, with money to burn. Not a given, but the same applies to everyone from abroad.

An interesting YT comp just appeared full of JA's bloopers. Shooters hit row z occasionally and passers misplace balls so those are normal, but notice his lack of close control in some of these clips. THIS is his weakness. I have coined a saying for him, "the less touches the better." Like Grealish said about being afraid of losing the ball and making Pep mad ... kid's first task will be improving his close control.

As a River Plate fan that has watched, probably, all of Julian's professional games, I can assure you that his close control ability isn't a weakness. That's just a bitter video probably done by a United or boca fan.

All six of those goals are very impressive.

The one in first half where he no look dinks it past the onrushing keeper is reminiscent of a couple Sergio got at Spurs.

That's natural talent. Sterling would have tried to run around the keeper before turning back for a pass in that situation.

But please, lessen the doing down of Haaland - he's a goalscoring phenomenon

Julian was one goal away from making worldwide history last night. Bata in 1930 and Kubala in 1950 are the only professional footballers to have scored 7 goals in one game. The funny thing is that he had a couple more chances to get 8 last night. Would have been cool if he got it.

And no matter what one might think of the oposition, you just can't downplay the fact that the kid scored 6 fricking goals in one game. XD

No other player scored more than 2 vs Alianza this season. River Plate playing vs Alianza Lima might be the equivalent of teams like City, Liverpool or Real Madrid playing the Malmos, Brujas or Sheriffs of the Champions League, and I didn't see any player from those big teams scoring 6 in a game.

Just to be the party-pooper.

He plays in the Argentine League. It's a huge step up from that to the Premier League let alone the top of the Premier League.

Look at how much space he has to run into, he won't get that with us and the defenders will be a lot better.

Will take him a while to get up to speed. Expect him to play a part in cup games at first.

This analysis, places the Argentinian league just below The Championship in terms of how hard it is to score goals. However, players from every league see a big drop when they join the PL, and the Championship is virtually on a par with The Bundesliga, so they're suggesting it will be almost as big a leap for Haaland.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.