Well done Aleks...

Speed is not his asset, so when he comes up against a pacey winger he is really shown up going backwards. For this game I would've started Clichy tbh, although his crossing is poor he motors up and down well and has much better defensive recovery than Kolarov because of his pace. But the way Kola whips that ball in and picks out his man is brilliant.

I would still seriously look at getting a player that has both positive traits of Clichy and Kolarov together, possibly next summer now.

I have been one of his most vocal defenders on here, but he didn't play too well yesterday. The offside trap was horrendous, and when Sterling missed that chance at the back stick Kolarov couldn't be arsed trying to mark him. Still a better choice than Clichy, simply because his crossing is phenomenal.

Dzeko's Right Boot said:
I have been one of his most vocal defenders on here, but he didn't play too well yesterday. The offside trap was horrendous, and when Sterling missed that chance at the back stick Kolarov couldn't be arsed trying to mark him. Still a better choice than Clichy, simply because his crossing is phenomenal.

Thought Clichy was dreadful against Palace, we miss the attacking options Kolarov gives us, think Aleks is definitely our first choice left back at the moment

Our best option at left back at the moment....with him and Zabba missing against Palace it was glaringly obvious what they offer going forward

I doubt if Clichy's name on the teamsheet causes much concern in the opposition dressing-room these days. It would have been all too easy for Pulis to say to Puncheon something like'' this lad's well past his best, you'll get past him easy''-and certainly Puncheon, a mere Saints loanee, did just that.
Different story with Kolarov , remembering the rollocking Vidic gave Valencia for letting AK overlap untracked and then launch the cross from which Kun scored.
There's seems to be a big contrast in the personalities of our two left backs, Gael easy-going and apt to lose concentration as he did against Bayern at home, Aleks , bold and self-reliant, skipper for the night and stepping up to the plate with the vital penalty in the Allianz Arena.But he can be over-confident as in the gross error of judgment when he dwelt on the ball facing Suarez in his own six yard box.
Clichy, like Lescott, seemed happier with Mancini's more rigid structures whereas Kolarov, like other self-reliant players, notably Nasri and Milner, have flourished in the Pellegrini approach.

grahamgor said:
I doubt if Clichy's name on the teamsheet causes much concern in the opposition dressing-room these days. It would have been all too easy for Pulis to say to Puncheon something like'' this lad's well past his best, you'll get past him easy''-and certainly Puncheon, a mere Saints loanee, did just that.
Different story with Kolarov , remembering the rollocking Vidic gave Valencia for letting AK overlap untracked and then launch the cross from which Kun scored.
There's seems to be a big contrast in the personalities of our two left backs, Gael easy-going and apt to lose concentration as he did against Bayern at home, Aleks , bold and self-reliant, skipper for the night and stepping up to the plate with the vital penalty in the Allianz Arena.But he can be over-confident as in the gross error of judgment when he dwelt on the ball facing Suarez in his own six yard box.
Clichy, like Lescott, seemed happier with Mancini's more rigid structures whereas Kolarov, like other self-reliant players, notably Nasri and Milner, have flourished in the Pellegrini approach.
Really interesting post, love it when people join the dots for themselves rather than just regurgitate soundbites or reactionary views. Mancini's method was characterized in Italy as 'individualistic', whereas I think he was violently biased towards submission to the team shape, whilst allowing one or two 'superstars' free reign. I expected several players to become less disciplined under Pellegrini, Yaya, for example, but it turns out, I've been really impressed by his desire to play an all round game (even if he hasn't succeeded). And Pellegrini is the one saying 'if they don't fit in, they must leave'.

So maybe Mancini indulged personality more, whereas Pellegrini indulges the individual's footballing style more.

Or something. I'm drunk. Any help sorting this out would be just great.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.