Wembley too small

nwhn3 said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
I'm no civil engineer but I imagine that building an all-seater stadium for over 90,000 with a substantive roof is a logistical nightmare. The comparisons with the Nou Camp are somewhat misleading because Spanish grounds are generally built with much steeper stands. On that basis you are not comparing like for like and it is hard for me to imagine a larger Wembley working. In any event given the shambolic way the FA mismanaged the whole project I shudder to think what that would have ended up costing - and let us not forget that ultimately it is the fans who end up paying for this incompetence not the 'suits' at the FA.

In terms of the allocation there has historically always been a relatively small allocation to the finalists' fans (the 'football family' anyone?) well before the advent of corporate sponsorship - so to blame this on the inexorable march of global capitalism is wide of the mark.

I had been to the 'new' Wembley once prior to the semi and I feel that whilst no-one could describe it as good value for money, it is a truly impressive piece of architecture and the standard of finish in certain parts of the stadium is truly breathtaking.

The thing is the ground was built from new, it wasn't a redevelopment. Therefore all options were open to them. If they need steeper stands the could have had steeper stands.

Also I wasn't that impressed with wembley as a stadium, it isn't too different to the emirates, although corporate wise I'm sure it is.

It should have been built in Birmingham with the new training complex nearby

Don't necessarily disagree about Birmingham. I've always hated the patronising way that we're told how northerners love their 'day out' in London.

I was fortunate enough to get a corporate ticket the first time I visited and that is what I guess I was referring to.

As for the steepness, I believe that would have been completely incongruous to the cultural history of stadium designs in this country. I think it would just not have looked right, and certainly inappropriate for an English national stadium. In any event the die is cast now, as I don't imagine the FA will be addressing any structural shortcomings anytime soon.

What annoys me is loads of my mates cant get tickets due to not enough points, and you see city fans on ebay selling tickets for stupid amount of money £995 for 2 cat 1 tickets and £600 for 2 £65 tickets, let the real fans go if your not going to go let real fans get tickets at cost price instead of riping other city fans off.knob heads

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.