We're not really here?

Damn the OP for not having a detailed knowledge of the bluemoon back catalogue ;-)

More seriously, this song is unusual in that it is one of the few songs we sing that are barometers of the game. This gets sung when we are on top, usually after a goal or a sustained period of pressure. It's my favourite City song for that reason. It's a bit like "Come on City" in that respect, which only gets sung when we are on the back foot or need to be stepping on the gas. The dippers do a similar thing with YNWA which usually translates as 'we've won this game, we know it, you know it'.

With other songs like the Viking song or Derby day there is less of a pattern to when they get sung.

I don't agree with Vicki that it will be sung less in the future, because the only time you usually hear it apart from when we've just scored or on top is when we are doing something that for City is unusual - like play at Wembley, or away in Europe for instance. If we had got to Istanbul or Dublin you can imagine how it would have gone down there. If we are away at the Nou Camp or the Bernabeu next year for instance, you will hear it sung then.

The day we stop singing it is the day when we don't just expect success - we do now - but when we take it for granted. That's the day we start turning into the rags.

I have no idea what it means, and I suspect no one else does either, hence the lack of an answer!

Pingu the Penguin said:
ALL TOGETHER NOW (To the tune of the wall, by pink floyd)

We don't want no
Plastic new fans
Dont start that bollacks again!!

i'd hazard a guess that anyone who doesn't know what it means has either never been to a game and witnessed the timing of it, or, they're not very bright in the first place.

Its a song thats sung due to disbelief, disbelief that we were actually down in Div 2, disbelief that we're playing in an FA Cup Final, Disbelief that we're ripping a team apart

Its origins are questionable and you'll find many answers to that, for me its been regularly sang since Div 2 for exactly the reasons above

and i love it

To my memory, having been watching City for donkey's years. I always thought we used to sing it when we were away at third tier clubs like Macclesfield, Lincoln etc. "We're not really here" as in "Man City can't really be here in this shithole ground of a crap club"

We're not really at York City in the Third Division are we?

Pingu the Penguin said:

We don't want no
Plastic new fans
Correct me if I'm wrong , but isnt it a good thing that we can attract "new" fans to our club, more bums on seats, shirt sales etc = more spending power when the ffp rule kicks in ??.

I for one will welcome any new fans to our club.

themadinventor said:
Pingu the Penguin said:

We don't want no
Plastic new fans
Correct me if I'm wrong , but isnt it a good thing that we can attract "new" fans to our club, more bums on seats, shirt sales etc = more spending power when the ffp rule kicks in ??.

I for one will welcome any new fans to our club.

yes it is. every club wants new/ more fans take no notice hes being a nob

Chris in London said:
Damn the OP for not having a detailed knowledge of the bluemoon back catalogue ;-)

More seriously, this song is unusual in that it is one of the few songs we sing that are barometers of the game. This gets sung when we are on top, usually after a goal or a sustained period of pressure. It's my favourite City song for that reason. It's a bit like "Come on City" in that respect, which only gets sung when we are on the back foot or need to be stepping on the gas. The dippers do a similar thing with YNWA which usually translates as 'we've won this game, we know it, you know it'.

With other songs like the Viking song or Derby day there is less of a pattern to when they get sung.

I don't agree with Vicki that it will be sung less in the future, because the only time you usually hear it apart from when we've just scored or on top is when we are doing something that for City is unusual - like play at Wembley, or away in Europe for instance. If we had got to Istanbul or Dublin you can imagine how it would have gone down there. If we are away at the Nou Camp or the Bernabeu next year for instance, you will hear it sung then.

The day we stop singing it is the day when we don't just expect success - we do now - but when we take it for granted. That's the day we start turning into the rags.

Spot on Chris...
:-)

Here is the definitive history of the song.

It was sung by City fans at Luton Town in the late 80s when hundreds of City fans attended a game where they were banned. Then it vanished.

Probably totally independantly, it was sung by City fans from the P&W branch at a "do" for a dead member. The full version of the song from then, probably around 1997, was:

"If you drink, you will die, if you're sober you will die
So I'd rather be drunk than be sober when I die
Just like the fans of the invisible man
We're not really here"

It then started to appear on the terraces in the season 1998-99, our only season in the third division. It took a while for the "Just like the fans of the invisible man" line to become standard. I remember hearing people singing "We're in Milan watching City in the champions league". First time I remember the song really catching on was away at Chesterfield that year on a rickety open terrace.

It was an anthem to show our disbelief (and humour) about the position we were in.

The day the song changed, in fact the moment the song changed forever was this: Ewood Park, 2000, 3 minutes from time. We are 4-1 up. The ground is full of celebrating blues. We'd gone from the brink of despair 12 months before to the premier league. City had come back from the dead in remarkable fashion. Watch the DVD of that game and you'll hear it on about 88 minutes. The most spine-tingling and piognant version of the song you will ever hear.

From that day it became a general song of disbelief at our good fortune.IF I'm honest, it's become a little meaningless now and should have been retired that day in 2000. But it's become part of our tapestry.

When we were in the 3rd division and played in the Johnsons Paint cup game or what ever crap cup in midweek we only got about 3k or 4k, so the papers had a picture of an empty Maine Road with another picture of the swamp full cause they played the same or next night in the CL, then on the Sat we played Crewe at home to a full Maine Road crowd this prompted the song we're not really here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.